Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Conti DWS rear tires worn after 22k miles

Howdy Mafia,

June is state inspection month for my ZHP, as such, I crawled all over the car to find anything obvious that cause me to fail. Only item I came up with is needing to replace my rear tires.

I have Conti Extreme Contact DWS on the rear, and they are worn down to the wear bars in the center. The outside edges still have lots of tread depth.

Two questions:
    What would cause the inside of the tire to wear faster than the edges? Tire pressure has been maintained between 32 and 35 PSI for 22k miles.

Next - what is the favorite tire to replace with? I'd like to only replace the rear, as funds are tight, and the fronts look almost new.

Thanks Fellas!
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

My car came with Conti DW and matched your description: fronts looked new, rears worn out on the center. But I can't tell how many miles they had been on the car.

I bought another rear set of Conti DW because I wanted to match with the front set. Plus, I only expect to drive the car 2,000 miles per year.

If your tires are over inflated then that would cause the center wear more, but the tire pressures seem reasonable... Weird...
    Stupid question but do you think the tire pressure gauge you used is accurate? Also I think many people report conti tires to wear more in the center...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Good point. I have 2 tire pressure gauges at home. They mark 3-4 PSI difference.

I had the same wearing issue on my previous set of tires. IICR /correct me if I'm wrong the ZHP had a suspension geometry that had a little bit of negative camber in the rear.
    trancenation's Alpine Weiss ZHP

I have these tires, fairly new. I've got my eye on them now

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

Had the same exact issue with the Conti Extreme DW on the wife's zhp. The rear tires only last roughly 17,200 miles.

Usually center wear like that is caused by the tire being over-inflated but I check the pressure on her car often and maintain it at 36 psi. The only thing that comes to mind is the width of the tire and the width of the zhp rim. The tire just bulges out since the rim is not wide enough for a 255 section tire. The tire does fit but it is not ideal.

If you are only replacing the rear, install another set of them again. Run them until the front is gone and then replace all 4 tires. There is a new version of the DWS that is available now called the DWS09.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Had the same exact issue with the Conti Extreme DW on the wife's zhp. The rear tires only last roughly 17,200 miles.

Usually center wear like that is caused by the tire being over-inflated but I check the pressure on her car often and maintain it at 36 psi. The only thing that comes to mind is the width of the tire and the width of the zhp rim. The tire just bulges out since the rim is not wide enough for a 255 section tire. The tire does fit but it is not ideal.

If you are only replacing the rear, install another set of them again. Run them until the front is gone and then replace all 4 tires. There is a new version of the DWS that is available now called the DWS09.
    I think you meant DWS 06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

lol Yes but then a 6 and 9 is very similar.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Excellent point on the pressure gage. I use a mechanical and digital set PSI. So I think I'm good.

I've been reading these these tires just don't last on the zhp. Perhaps Vas is onto something about the fitment being incorrect. These tires seem wider than normal (and taller when new).

I will probably replace with the same tire as I don't like being mismatched.
    If funds were not an issue, I'd replace all four with a summer only set.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
    Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139///Jim Conforti Shark Injector///H&R Touring Cup Kit///Gruppe M Intake

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast