Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clear Protective Bra. Auto Detail. Paint Chip Repair. Shades vs Tint

Planning a couple additions to the ZHP with spring around the corner.

All of these modifications will act as a sedative, so to speak, allowing me to drive the car as much as I yearn to throughout the summer without my insides collapsing from paranoia.

Paint Chip Repair:

Few spots on the hood that need repairing and I plan to do this myself which is by far the most cost effective method, also, the only mod/repair I feel comfortable completing. Considering using http://www.chipex.com/

Shades vs Tint

Having my 2 year old strapped to the backseat, uv & heat protection, cosmetically altering etc... are all reasons for considering tint. I love the look of the car without tint but for practicality reasons I believe its the best choice.
    The screens that BMW once made are a nice alternative but are just as expensive and hard to find nowadays. Pro being no real alteration to the car and can be easily taken down with the clips remaining in place.
    These are really the only ones I can locate:
    http://www.nm-motorsport.com/PBShopp...ngID=undefined

Ceramic tint would be used. I am torn between tinting all windows or just the rear half of the car. Back window being the definite darkest... with a fade becoming lighter towards the front windows....??

Clear Protective Bra

I'm sure most are familiar with these applications. My biggest 'irk with the car right now are the paint chips in the hood and the fear of inevitably accumulating more.
    I am a bit apprehensive with this mod..... It being the most expensive and IMO, the most drastic modification
    Few good brands including 3M, Llumar, and Solar Guard (my understanding is they are all technically 3M, who only make the adhesive used by all brands)

How does the community feel about all of these options? Hate tint? Love tint? Non OEM = Non bueno?

The clear bra is my biggest concern and it is that which I am seeking most feedback on. Personal experience with these???

I live in Flagstaff, Az (fairly small town) but will be Vegas'ing in Las Vegas at the end of April, which apart from mode of transportation, my car will remain unused for the duration of my time there as I will be... well, Vegas'ing.

Have been quoted from I what have found to be reputable shops in Las Vegas the following prices:

Auto Detail: Exterior - $175. Interior included - $215

Ceramic Window Tinting for all rear windows $160

Llumar or Solar Guard clear protective bra: $600.

Figure I can haggle around a bit and slide out for a total cost of $930

All feedback wil be greatly appreciated.

-Eli

Clear Protective Bra. Auto Detail. Paint Chip Repair. Shades vs Tint

As far as tin, go with ceramic to reduce cabin heat (and uv ray?). I think at lease one member here went with a clear-ish? Tint so see what the options are if you don't like the limo look... or just go with a 50% or so lighter tint.

I forget your car color.

A few pics. This was my son's car with 30% all around.

His and mine (old car) before I got tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be excellent tint installers in AZ as most cars probably have it. Search for your state's tint laws, and get it on all the side glass & rear glass. Many will apply tint darker than allowed, but I fear getting a ticket & having to remove it, or the difficulty of seeing cross traffic at dawn/dusk if the tint is too dark. The dot matrix on the edge of the windows can be problematic, so talk to them about how they are able to minimize bubbles there.

I haven't heard for Chipex, but have had decent results with Dr, ColorChip and factory touch-up along with the Langka product. We have detailers here that will perform the detailing, touch-up, and then apply the paint protection. This way any problem is on them, vs. then saying your touch-up job resulted in the poor adhesion of the paint protection, etc.

I plan to have my coupe tinted later this spring. LA Tint in Manassas & Sterling VA do great work!
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Im sure there are great installers of tint down in Phoenix, 2 hours away from me. Which isn's bad, but for a trip like that it would require arrangements for transportation and what not. In Vegas, I will have a couple days where everything is within walking distance or a short cab ride away enabling me to have time for my car to be dropped off.

I'm confident in my ability to repair the chips adequately. Following with a professional detail prior to the install of a clear bra should I decide to go that route.

I'm sure I will get tint. Ceramic all the way around. Darkest being the rear window.

Ceramic window tint is $300 for all windows.... bit more than I had anticipated.

sheesh

That's not a terrible price, I don't think. Especially for ceramic and a sedan w/ seven sections to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    That's not a terrible price, I don't think. Especially for ceramic and a sedan w/ seven sections to do.
    +1. Well worth it. I think I paid @$350.

My wife has mentioned ceramic tint for her x3 a couple of times. On a black/black car in TX is justified, IMHO.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    After doing more research I have found that $300 is a competitive price. Also, I believe paying for ceramic will be worth it. Much of what I have read and asked tint shops about seem to have the same opinion.

BMWCurves, what is your stance concerning a clear protective bra?

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    My wife has mentioned ceramic tint for her x3 a couple of times. On a black/black car in TX is justified, IMHO.
    Right, and having a little one in the back, she is constantly being blinded, poor girl.

fredo - Have you had any experience with Ceramic vs a normal carbon type tint? I of course have much experience with regular tint but this is the first time I am considering Ceramic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast