Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Overheating Early Warning System

Hi clan,

Hope everyone is doing well.
    I've been contemplating an idea of building an early warning system, which will send an audible signal to the driver when the coolant temperature goes above normal. I think the device can be made relatively inexpensive.

Great idea?
    Good idea?
    Ok idea?
    Nah, find something better to do.

Brutal honesty is much appreciated.

Sounds like a cash cow. I think it's a great idea.

I know a lot of us look at the temp gauge more than the speedo, but by the time you see it overheating, it's likely too late...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Pretty good idea!

The thing with newer BMWs is the coolant tanks get smaller and smaller, so by the time you see its hot, youve lost most of the little coolant it had. Older BMWs had much bigger tanks...

Great idea. The temp sensor range we have right now (the gauge), has a huge band in the middle.....so if it leaves the 12 O clock position...you know your in the sheeeeets and most don't catch it.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I would be very interested in this
    ....in fact I am

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Also interested.

What are you considering? Moving the sensor? Installing a process controller that displays a digital value and sounds an audible alarm once a temperature or temp rise is reached?

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

@billschusteriv - There are couple of approaches on the table. One thing I definitely do not plan on doing is an LCD readout of the temp. As soon as you introduce a display component the price and complexity goes up. In fact there are many products out there that will read out the temp from the ODBII.

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    @billschusteriv - There are couple of approaches on the table. One thing I definitely do not plan on doing is an LCD readout of the temp. As soon as you introduce a display component the price and complexity goes up. In fact there are many products out there that will read out the temp from the ODBII.
    Are you versed in Arduino coding?

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Are you versed in Arduino coding?
    I have never done anything on that platform, but have seen a variety of project utilizing it. I can certainly see its application in this case.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast