Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Quote Originally Posted by nk_zhp View Post
    Shooting for end of May for 1st 10 units. Master I can bring it to our next auto-X, maybe we can even install it on the spot. Takes all of 20 minutes.
    Nevermind - my graduation is the date of the next autocross so I can not attend
    Last edited by MasterC17; 05-08-2011 at 02:54 PM.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Adding a coolant temp switch & horn/buzzer to block drain plug as an early overheat warning ?

Sorry to revive an old thread, But can I please ask you folks about this? I have teenage drivers who are not going to watch the temp gauge like I do. They don't understand how a BMW engine can be junk after 60 seconds in the red

I know how to change the temp gauge buffering using PAsoft. But I want to add an audible alarm to both my ZHP and my E39

My plan is to wire up a simple 12V horn/ buzzer in glove box or engine bay (louder) and have it triggered by this temp switch which is threaded into the block drain plug:

http://a.co/9GIdL0s

This switch is threaded M14 x1.5 (matching my e39's block drain plug) and triggers at 110c which is generally (almost always from what I can tell) above the BMW 6 cyl operating temps. I understand the Block Drain may not be an ideal place to measure coolant temp as it's on the cool side of the block, but I think that is okay. I am a little concerned that this switch is a bit longer than the drain plug.

Similar thread here from a guy with his Z4 M coupe:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190021

Thoughts?

Overheating Early Warning System

Sounds like you need an UltraGauge. You can can set alarms for just about everything. I have a temp alarm set at 210 degrees so when my wife drives my car she will know when it's getting hot. The UG can check and clear engine trouble codes as well. The screen is blue but using some film (R25) it will match the BMW dash lights.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot05 View Post
    Adding a coolant temp switch & horn/buzzer to block drain plug as an early overheat warning ?

Sorry to revive an old thread, But can I please ask you folks about this? I have teenage drivers who are not going to watch the temp gauge like I do. They don't understand how a BMW engine can be junk after 60 seconds in the red

I know how to change the temp gauge buffering using PAsoft. But I want to add an audible alarm to both my ZHP and my E39

My plan is to wire up a simple 12V horn/ buzzer in glove box or engine bay (louder) and have it triggered by this temp switch which is threaded into the block drain plug:

http://a.co/9GIdL0s

This switch is threaded M14 x1.5 (matching my e39's block drain plug) and triggers at 110c which is generally (almost always from what I can tell) above the BMW 6 cyl operating temps. I understand the Block Drain may not be an ideal place to measure coolant temp as it's on the cool side of the block, but I think that is okay. I am a little concerned that this switch is a bit longer than the drain plug.

Similar thread here from a guy with his Z4 M coupe:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190021

Thoughts?
    Since you asked for thoughts:

I may be old fashioned with this thinking, but I'm of the "train 'em" mentality. They need to know the importance of paying attention to the car's gauges. If the car overheats and gets damaged due to their negligence, "you break it you buy it". That'll make sure they pay attention...

Since you already have the coolant temp gauge coded to something a lot more conservative, that glowing red light in the hot zone needs to be more than enough to grab their attention (while still being in the safe zone). I would image the car beeping when it gets there, but I've never ran it that far so I wouldn't know for sure.

But that's just me. That is what gauges are for.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    Sounds like you need an UltraGauge. You can can set alarms for just about everything. I have a temp alarm set at 210 degrees so when my wife drives my car she will know when it's getting hot. The UG can check and clear engine trouble codes as well. The screen is blue but using some film (R25) it will match the BMW dash lights.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789