Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions About Jet Black vs Sapphire Metallic Black

In my hunt for my ZHP, black cars keep popping up and are now on my radar. I have had black before, but my OCD on car detailing was tough keep in check. But I am older and wiser now (maybe), considering giving it another chance.

Would someone be able describe the different between the two black? Obviously, one of them is metallic. How metallic is the black? Is metallic a bit more forgiving? It is really hard to tell from pics on the difference, I do not have any local examples.

Thanks

Chuck

I had both colors: e90 on BSM and e46 on JB. To me, there was no big difference between them. I needed to get extra close to the BSM to tell it was metallic, maybe 2 feet or less.

Funny fact: when I test drove the e90 I didn't realize the metallic paint, I noticed back at home after the papers were signed. Granted, the e90 was 4 years old when I bought it, maybe the paint was a little dull by then.

Merallic black has bits of flake in them, it's for lack of a better word, a dirty black. The flake is almost brown-ish (sounds more strange than it is). Probably more forgiving of the two. Jet Black (my preference) is a pure black, and to me, has more shine. Harder to keep looking clean but pops more when it is, especially in the shade 'black cars, look better in the shade' as the song says. Not a ton of difference from afar but you can tell closer up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I prefer the look of bsm since I'm a fan of metallic colors. Plus there is a reason to why it cost more then just jet black.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Thanks for the description on the two colors, let's see if my OCD personality will let me go back to black.

I've owned both, my current ZHP in BSM, and 01 740i Short Sport in Jet Black. I prefer BSM as I think it has more character for lack of a better term, and hides scratches and swirls better.
    04 Vert/Sapphire Black/Black/Silver Cube/MT/CWP/Xenons/HK-NAV/BMW Performance Air Intake and CF Strut Bar

BSM, due to the metallic flake, actually looks more like a very very dark grey than it does a black. You can see this pale-ish hue to it:

Jet Black is just a dark, pure black.

Personally I prefer BSM because of the depth of the color when properly detailed. To me, Jet Black definitely looks sharper and more striking, and BSM looks deeper and sexier, if that makes more sense.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

No it doesn't at all, nothing better than Jet Black.

Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    No it doesn't at all, nothing better than Jet Black.

After Immmmmmmmmmola, you mean.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Imola then bsm then mystic then alpine white

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast