Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Here is my take on it:

DOT4LV is only of a major concern because it keeps the viscosity low helps keep the viscosity consistent across a large temperature range, particularly the lower end of the spectrum. Our ABS and DCS system I believe use a time based valve approach to engage the brakes. Consistent viscocity similar to Factory helps ensuring the system performs as designed even in extreme temperatures.

That beind said, I had no evidence of poor braking performance with ATE Type 200 when consistently flushed.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Here is my take on it:

DOT4LV is only of a major concern because it keeps the viscosity low helps keep the viscosity consistent across a large temperature range, particularly the lower end of the spectrum. Our ABS and DCS system I believe use a time based valve approach to engage the brakes. Consistent viscocity similar to Factory helps ensuring the system performs as designed even in extreme temperatures.

That beind said, I had no evidence of poor braking performance with ATE Type 200 when consistently flushed.
    Yep, I think it's more a bigger issue in winter weather. DOT4 LV in sub zero temperatures will still be thicker than DOT4 at "normal" temperatures. In that year with the polar vortex, I did find my ABS to be less effective with ATE SuperBlue.

I personally now use DOT 5.1. Thinner than DOT4 (though slightly thicker than DOT4LV), but still higher boiling points. On my M3 which will no longer see winter weather, I will likely switch to Castrol SRF.

Quote Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
    Yep, I think it's more a bigger issue in winter weather. DOT4 LV in sub zero temperatures will still be thicker than DOT4 at "normal" temperatures. In that year with the polar vortex, I did find my ABS to be less effective with ATE SuperBlue.

I personally now use DOT 5.1. Thinner than DOT4 (though slightly thicker than DOT4LV), but still higher boiling points. On my M3 which will no longer see winter weather, I will likely switch to Castrol SRF.
    Agreed on the lower temperatures. Being that I am in California, my ZHP has never seen snow. LOL

I didn't mean to start a big debate. I just wanted to point it out and for people to weigh the possible benefits vs possible drawbacks of using DOT4 vs DOT4LV. For those that track their cars the benefit of higher boiling temp could easily outweigh the drawbacks. Most of us don't track our cars though and higher boiling temp isn't a benefit at all, ABS / DSC not working optimally in snow is a huge drawback.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12