Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Are there specific shocks/struts we need to get for our ZHPs or do we just pick sport model 330i ones?
    I believe they are different. Part #'s for the ZHP OEM replacements below

Front Struts:

Rear Shocks:

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I always thought we shared the same shocks/struts as ZSP-equipped E46s but I could be wrong.

Jeff, I don't know if you're set on OEM shocks or not, but I really like my Koni Sports (Yellows), which last a lot longer than the factory Sachs units and they have a good warranty. I think they're currently on 20% off sale depending on where you look.
    I'm definitely not set on OEM, I had my eye on some Koni yellows too, just need to wait for a good deal on either one. I'll look around for the discount you're talking about
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

I believe raceconsultingagency.com still has the best prices around for Koni yellows. $170 for each of the fronts and $106 for the rear. You can also negotiate with them.

Koni yellow or koni fsd.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    I believe they are different. Part #'s for the ZHP OEM replacements below

Front Struts:

Rear Shocks:

I'm definitely not set on OEM, I had my eye on some Koni yellows too, just need to wait for a good deal on either one. I'll look around for the discount you're talking about
    As holyc0w said, raceconsultingagency is a good place to go for Koni Yellows. It's where I got mine for $500 total last year. Currently:

Total: 553.10. That's about $50 more than when I bought mine, and I haven't seen them as cheap as when I bought them since.

EDIT: Ancillary part numbers can be found in my 50k mile refresh thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

Wow that's not a bad deal at all! Right about now I'm wishing I hadn't spent so much $$ on fireworks at the reservations up north...I could have new set of Koni yellow fronts haha
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

I just installed the Bilstein B4's all around, no complaints. I think my stock shocks and struts have been in sorry shape since I've owned the car, though, so my baseline for what feels better is a little skewed.
    -Dave

2004 330i ZHP sedan- 6 speed swapped, Corsa exhaust
    1997 AW 328i- S52 swapped
    2004 IR 330i ZHP 6MT- aFe Stage 1, Shark Injector, RE Underdrives, Dforce LTWs- SOLD
    1997 Technoviolet M3/2/5- LS1/T56 swapped- SOLD

Gang - Looks like I need at least one rear shock replaced, hoping to do it myself...probably will replace both as it's recommended to do so in pairs.

Looking at bavauto.com because they're close to me and usually ship within a couple of days.

Questions;

1 - They list a Bilstein B4 "OE Replacement" shock for all 330i models, but nothing specific to 'sport suspension' or ZHP (they do list the front shock with a different P/N for sport suspension though.) Is this correct or is there a different rear shock for the ZHP? Their price for this shock is only $99. They also have a Sachs "OE replacement" shock for $60. The next step up, I think, is the Bilstein Sport shock for around $150. I'd like to stay under $100 per shock and maintain the OE level of performance. If the Bilstein Sport shock is the only way to achieve that, I'll bite the bullet and spend the money. I definitely don't want a lower-performance shock than OE.

2 - What other shock-related parts should be replaced at this time? Does the upper shock mount and gasket need to be replaced or can they be re-used?

3 - Anyone have a good tutorial link/ video for rear shock replacement? I've done it on other cars, but not this one... Would be helpful to see if there's anything specific to this car I should know about before digging into it.

TIA.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Gang - Looks like I need at least one rear shock replaced, hoping to do it myself...probably will replace both as it's recommended to do so in pairs.

Looking at bavauto.com because they're close to me and usually ship within a couple of days.

Questions;

1 - They list a Bilstein B4 "OE Replacement" shock for all 330i models, but nothing specific to 'sport suspension' or ZHP (they do list the front shock with a different P/N for sport suspension though.) Is this correct or is there a different rear shock for the ZHP? Their price for this shock is only $99. They also have a Sachs "OE replacement" shock for $60. The next step up, I think, is the Bilstein Sport shock for around $150. I'd like to stay under $100 per shock and maintain the OE level of performance. If the Bilstein Sport shock is the only way to achieve that, I'll bite the bullet and spend the money. I definitely don't want a lower-performance shock than OE.

2 - What other shock-related parts should be replaced at this time? Does the upper shock mount and gasket need to be replaced or can they be re-used?

3 - Anyone have a good tutorial link/ video for rear shock replacement? I've done it on other cars, but not this one... Would be helpful to see if there's anything specific to this car I should know about before digging into it.

TIA.

-Chris
    Personally I would upgrade from the OE Replacement shocks. Go with something like the Bilstein Sport if your car is lowered or with Bilstein HD if your car is stock.

Take a look at bimmerworld.com. They have good pricing for single shocks.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/ssearch.h...r.fitment=Rear

Also look into the rear shock mounts like the ones below:

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Rogue-Eng...0-E36-E46.html

Only other thing to consider is the bump stop and dust boot. New shocks do not come with those.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

While you're in there, I'd also replace the shock tower mounts. They're cheap and you have to remove the old ones to get the shock off anyhow. I have the below Lemforder mounts in the mail as we speak

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-31336760943

The rear shocks are very simple, just pull up the carpet carefully to get to the two nuts on top of the shock. I'd also replace the rear mounts as well, super cheap and probably worn out if stock.
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-33521092362

if you're looking for a little extra beef back there, these reinforcement plates are great.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...002478ecs01kt/
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

I'll probably do bilstein B6's (HD) at some point. They easily last 100k miles and are hands-down the best non-coilover shock available. But one concern: they have a tendency to raise ride height. Has anyone put them on a ZHP and had any issues with ride height? I don't want to go with Sports (B8) unless that's the proper length shock to go with the ZHP's already somewhat lower-than-standard suspension.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast