Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    Congrats. Nice sounding exhaust!

Any vids of the event?
    Thank you sir! Yes, one video from outside the car I posted in the autox picture thread.

Finished the second day of racing today and had a blast again. Finished 1st in my class but had a little trouble getting clean again so around 11th I think in Pax out of 70ish entrants. But starting to get used to the car (coming from racing AWD cars). Going to pull the trigger on seats probably this week if I can make up my mind. Then I'm only a lightweight battery away from it being ready to conerbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by bcleaver View Post
    Finished the second day of racing today and had a blast again. Finished 1st in my class but had a little trouble getting clean again so around 11th I think in Pax out of 70ish entrants. But starting to get used to the car (coming from racing AWD cars). Going to pull the trigger on seats probably this week if I can make up my mind. Then I'm only a lightweight battery away from it being ready to conerbalance.
    What battery do you think you will go with?

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    What battery do you think you will go with?
    Probably a Hawker Odyssey PC680 with a Russ Wiles battery box.

spencers Guest
    Car sounds amazing.
    How different is your car, coming from an AWD buggy?

Quote Originally Posted by spencers View Post
    Car sounds amazing.
    How different is your car, coming from an AWD buggy?
    Thanks! I'm enjoying the sound of it as well.

The WRX I was driving had almost the exact same level of prep as my car does (he was running AST 4100's) and had just about everything done you could do in the STX class except race seats, so I can do a pretty good job of comparing them. It's a pretty different car, but I still have a lot of tuning to do on mine so this early comparison may change as I fine tune the bmw.

The power delivery is significantly different. On the WRX if you're doing a 180deg turnaround about 1/2 way through you need to have your foot on the floor in order to overcome the turbo lag. It's an odd feeling to be throttling the car while also trying to turn it, but if you don't you end up sitting there patiently waiting for the power to come on. In the bimmer if you tried that you'd be facing the wrong way in the turnaound in about 2 seconds. The bmw much more linear in power delivery, and much smoother. I find throttle steering to be easier so far in the bmw because of this. I will say that my launches feel MUCH slower in the bmw.

Turn-in is similar. The wrx actually feels a little ligher and more nimble, but the grip of the 265 tires vs the 245's overcomes that difference in initial 'bite' and response when you move the wheel. The steering rack feels a little faster in the bmw as well, with a little less effort needed in slaloms.

Straight line braking is comparable between the two. I'm running a stock brake setup so far on the bmw so it lacks a little bite for my taste and I'll probably switch to some hawk hp+ pads after a few events. Trail braking is MUCH improved over the wrx. The way many of the wrx's are set-up results in a rear tire lift during hard braking and slight cornering. This makes it very difficult to trail brake effectively I found. The BMW is very managable in braking around corners which I think will results in the ability to be less precise on the course and still be fast because you can cover some braking sins in the corner.

One of the big differences and big benefits of the bmw is the ability to get rotation coming into and out of turns and the ability to throttle steer. The wrx was hard to tune to be controllably 'twitchy'. It took just the right amount of corner entry speed and throttle lift/turn in order to be able to get rotation. With the rwd bmw it's only a little gas away.

I do miss the AWD coming out of corners so far though as it would kind of 'pull' you into the next element. Maybe when i get the lsd in the bmw it will feel faster coming out of turns.

Overall they are very comparable speed wise, but in a little different ways. I would consider the bmw more smooth and refined and the wrx a little more twitchy, both in power, braking and turning.
    Okay, realize I've written a novel, but I've been asked that question a lot and now I have a place I can point people instead of trying to recite it from memory again.

I also posted these in the autox picture thread, but to keep a consolidated thread I'll put them here too.
    I finally got some shots from last weekends race:

and the wife:

Awesome shots.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Great build. I would like to do something like this with an e36 328is one day. It looks like a lot of fun.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by static667 View Post
    Great build. I would like to do something like this with an e36 328is one day. It looks like a lot of fun.
    Those 328's make awesome stx cars as well. Take out the zhp for an autox and get hooked!

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast