Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice on Jet Black Paint Correction, Polish and Wax

I recently acquired a 2005 Jet Black sedan. *I swore that I would never own another black car, but the car was too good to pass up. *With that being said, I need to do some paint correction, polishing and waxing and would like to get some advice. *For years, I used local car care products from Prima Care while they have some really good stuff it feels like I should try some new products. *After some research, here is what I am looking at for paint correction and protection. *

Wash (soap either BMW, Sonax* Gloss or Prima Mystique) with Two Bucket Method

Waffle Weave Dry

Menzerna FG400*or PF2500 w/ Yellow Pad

Menzerna SF4000 w/ Green Pad

Menzerna Jescar Power Lock w/ Black Pad (or maybe Sonax Polymer Net Shield)

Is it good to foam soap the car?* How much soap do I load in the foamer?

I have a Porter Cable 7336 polisher, but considering upgrading to something newer. *The*Flex Tool XC 3401 VRG Orbital Polisher*looks interesting, but maybe I am good with what I have already.

What speed should I set my Porter-Cable 7336 for each step?

I appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Chuck

So I recently revitalized my black 4Runner. Kept it simple with some products I've acquired over the years with the zhp and other cars I've taken care of.

Started with foaming the truck. Chemical Guys Mr. Pink in a gilmour foam gun.

2 bucket wash using the same shampoo in the bucket.

Waffle weave dry

Meguiars Clay kit using chemical guys clay lubricant mixed 60/40 with water.

Then I used my Porter Cable 7424xp fitted with Chemical guys hexlogic Orange pads (Medium Heavy Cut) and Meguiars M205 Ultra finishing polish

Following this I used Menzerna Power Lock sealant. Which left her with a nice crisp refreshing shine.

Before and after a below:

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

My problem is that I have a lot of swirls and holograms on the paint, I want to remove them with some correction. Though the car seems to have been clay bar'd somewhat recently.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury26 View Post
    My problem is that I have a lot of swirls and holograms on the paint, I want to remove them with some correction. Though the car seems to have been clay bar'd somewhat recently.
    I hadn't finished that post. Updated with completed method.

You need to clay bar anytime you wax or polish the paint regardless of if it was done recently. It's part of the process to pull the contaminants out of the paint to facilitate the polishing and wax application.

I wouldn't get an orbital polisher but I don't know your xp level. With a dual action polisher I can do the best I can and it looks great and I don't have to worry about burning my paint. I literally can't.

Polish or compound will get the swirls out providing your fingernail doesn't catch on them. Try a test spot with the polish first to see if that does it. If it does use that, if no, move up to the compound.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:

Definitely do a test spot. I believe for the compound and polish you can use the maximum speed. Applying sealant or wax can be done at a lower speed since it's just applying the product, and not doing any correction.

Whatever you do, after it's ready, wash it as little as possible. Get a California duster or the like.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Definitely do a test spot. I believe for the compound and polish you can use the maximum speed. Applying sealant or wax can be done at a lower speed since it's just applying the product, and not doing any correction.
    I usually use 5 for polish and 2 for sealant. With the corresponding pads.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    Sold:

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Whatever you do, after it's ready, wash it at little a possible. Get a California duster or the like.
    Rando, what about touchless car wash ? I do that often, for $5 is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Rando, what about touchless car wash ? I do that often, for $5 is not bad.
    NEVER!!! The chemicals the touchless car washes use will remove any sealant or wax on the paint and is damaging on the rubber as well....

Frank W.

Present
    2003 BMW 530iA Saphirschwarz Metallic

Past
    2006 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i ///M-Sport Mineralgrau Metallic
    2011 BMW 328i 6MT ///M-Sport Alpenweiss
    1999 BMW ///M Roadster Estorilblau Metallic

plus an assortment of VW, Honda, Mazda, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, and others over the years

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Whatever you do, after it's ready, wash it at little a possible. Get a California duster or the like.
    Speaks truth.

S7 Edge, out
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast