Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

The it was supposed to be just an oil pan gasket project

I got a pair of bimmerbrakes gen 3 headers from euro parts online. When they arrived, they had a euro parts online logo plate welded on them which made me very skeptical that they were bimmerbrakes headers but after reading some threads on E46f I figured out that apparently, the guy that owned bimmerbrakes now owns or works for euro parts online and the headers look the same as every pic I could find so, off to the installation. The old manifolds came off pretty easy. I had already replaced the bolts at the exhaust system joint when I got my Corsa so they were easy as were the pre cat 02 sensors. I left the post cat sensors on and disconnected the wires at the top of the motor.
    As everyone said would happen, all the studs came out with the nuts but NBD I already bought new ones. Once they were out, I removed the post cat sensors which came out surprisingly easy considering the mileage on the car. No penetrating oil or heat needed.

Without the motor mount, crossmember and oil pan in the way, the there is a lot of room to work

View from the top without the SAP in the way

Installing the headers was the most tedious frustrating thing I've done on the car. It surpasses the M3 mirror retrofit by a lot.
    There are few bolts that are nearly impossible to get to due to the routing of the tubes. I spent several hours and flipped out twice before I got them torqued to spec. Some say they are easier with the heat shields removed from gaskets but I wanted to keep the shields since the valve cover is plastic. Plus I think it be only marginally easier.
    I eliminated the post cat sensors and plugged the bungs.

View from the bottom... It sure is pretty

The 02 sensors are a tight fit in this space there is plenty of wire to reach down here

View from the top. I eliminated the SAP all together since it's not needed

I ordered a block off plate from the dealer to block off the hole for the SAP valve

Crossmember and new LCA ready to go in. I wish they would stay this clean ....

I didn't hookup the exhaust right away because San was coming down to swap his ZHP exhaust for my Corsa. In hindsight, I wish I had just to see how loud it would be. The ZHP exhaust isn't really that much louder with the headers just some rasp
    Anyone looking to install headers but worried about the noise, I can say that isn't an issue at all with the stock ZHP exhaust. It may be a bit too quiet for me

Kristen said she was giving about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in the drive by

How do I like the headers? The car seems to pull better throughout the whole RPM range. It definitely doesn't feel as anemic as it did with the stock manifolds. I like the sound of the exhaust too although it could be a touch louder. It's pretty raspy... Rasp seems to be something people either love or hate... I like it.

As for real numbers, I found a place in North Charleston that has a dyno. I have an appointment on Saturday. I'm hoping for something at least over 200 hp. My last dyno run a few years ago was a disappointing 191 hp and that was with the dinan CAI, throttle body and stage 3 tune.
    Last edited by Sockethead; 07-13-2016 at 02:27 PM.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Excellent work! I'm glad your headers were machined properly...as you may remember, mine needed a donut spacer to connect the stock exhaust with the header flange. Do you have a link to the replacement oil pump gear?
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

here you go... looks like the price went up a bit since I purchased mine
    http://www.achillesmotorsports.com/A...m-uopr-m54.htm
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    here you go... looks like the price went up a bit since I purchased mine
    http://www.achillesmotorsports.com/A...m-uopr-m54.htm
    Nice! That looks like a very solid solution. The only other one I've seen that combats this issue is the one on Bimmerworlds website. It was originally designed by an enthusiast.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

I thought about that one but decided it was a little overkill. VAC motorsports has a shaft and sprocket but I've read of several failures with that.
    H&R sport springs,

great work, rob!

i recently inspected my front lower control arms and found the same thing - no play whatsoever, and i'm at around 145K miles.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Thanks Peter!
    Yea, I've found that a lot of the rubber bits I've swapped were still in excellent shape: Motor mounts, lower control arms, RTAB... I examined the rubber bit in the steering column while I had a good view of it and it's still in perfect shape... The only ones that have failed are the LCAB, RMS and the rear diff bushing
    H&R sport springs,

How did the car do on the dyno?
    -Dave

2004 330i ZHP sedan- 6 speed swapped, Corsa exhaust
    1997 AW 328i- S52 swapped
    2004 IR 330i ZHP 6MT- aFe Stage 1, Shark Injector, RE Underdrives, Dforce LTWs- SOLD
    1997 Technoviolet M3/2/5- LS1/T56 swapped- SOLD

Pretty crappy. It was in the 90's and in the middle of a thunderstorm by the time I got it on the dyno. I'll post after I get the SAE corrected graph so I can properly compare it to my last run a couple of years ago...
    H&R sport springs,

I've had some more seat time since I put the headers on and removed the Sprint Booster. The headers made a significant improvement. The car makes more torque throughout the whole RPM range and it's more responsive... It's almost like the Sprint Booster is still in there. I'm impressed! I loved the Sprint Booster but the car doesn't need it anymore...
    H&R sport springs,

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast