Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Got the car back together this weekend been a long 5 months trying to find the time but got lots of it done while my MIL was in town over the holidays.
    The heat exchanger proved to be a real challenge and I ended up changing the mounts several times. I had to scrap the bottom mount I had made at Nth Degree fabrication because I mis-calculated the angle the heat exchanger had to be in for the bumper to fit.
    I was able to make the top bracket they made adjustable up/down, left/right by turning the mounting holes into slots.
    I trimmed the shroud to fit, put the bumper on and then was able to tweak the heat exchanger to fit and tighten down the mounts

The hoses light up perfectly to where we guessed the new elbows would go.

Next, I wanted a better way to fill the cooling system for the supercharger. Taking to hoses off the manifold, trying to fill and put the hoses back on with no coolant leaking out is an exercise in frustration.
    I found a tiny over flow tank with a single outlet on the bottom on eBay. It would fit perfectly next to the air box by the MAF sensor. I had the guys at Nth degree cut off the 1” hose coupling and weld on. 3/4”. Then I cut the suction side of the hoses to the manifold and tee’d it in.
    After I primed the system I found I had made a mistake thinking the the radiator style neck and cap would work. I forgot that the those caps are two way: letting pressure out and sucking back in. Since this was on the suction side. It was constantly pulling air in.
    I found a new neck and cap from filler neck supply.Com and had it welded on. Now it works as well as I hoped. No more guessing if the system is full and hearing air bubbles in the system.

Making this little bracket out of a piece of aluminum angle took a while. It sucks when all you have is a hacksaw and some files.

Lastly, I wired the fans in. I was able to use the whole Harness that came with it for the Ford Lighting. All I had to do was pull the trigger wire out and run that to the switch I mounted in the cab. The relay is mounted in the drug box. Along with the relay for the angel eyes.
    The fans move a TON of air and will be a big help in a few months when it turns 90 degrees for the summer...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post

rob... A+ freakin' work, man! love this bit in the pic above, especially - nice engineering there, and i love the bracket you made.

hey - didn't i send you a couple fasteners for that curved piece that goes around the ABS pump??
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Yea you did! Good eye! I will put them on after I remember where I put that box you sent me LOL

Thanks for the kudos on the bracket... took me a while to figure out how to tackle the angle of the strut tower into the bracket...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Yea you did! Good eye! I will put them on after I remember where I put that box you sent me LOL

Thanks for the kudos on the bracket... took me a while to figure out how to tackle the angle of the strut tower into the bracket...
    yeah, i bet! i think i may borrow/steal your idea, as i will be needing a strut tower-mounted bracket for the oil separator i'm putting in the 335. BMS has a nice mounting location for their kit, but my can/separator is like 2x the size of theirs and it won't fit. frig.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Go for it! I always post with the intent that it may help someone else too. I Used a small carpenter's square to get the angles correct...

We had the BMS catch kit can in the 135... very nice setup... but a bit of a PITA on the 135 because you have to take out the cabin filter housing to get to it
    H&R sport springs,

Go for it! I always post with the intent that it may help someone else too. I Used a small carpenter's square to get the angles correct...

We had the BMS catch kit can in the 135... very nice setup... but a bit of a PITA on the 135 because you have to take out the cabin filter housing to get to it
    yeah. i don't like their baffling, but the execution of the 'kit' is very nice - i am replicating it, albeit with my own can (42draftdesigns ultimate can - better baffling and inlet/outlet positions, but it's freakin' gigantic). this should stop a lot of oil sludge buildup on the valves...
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I have to figure out something for my car too. When I removed the hose from the PVC valve on top of the supercharger manifold, it had a lot of mayo on it. I did have one set up early on but it was useless. The can filled with condensation water instead of oil. (I think I documented that earlier in this thread) I need to figure out if it was the distance of the hoses or the lack of adequate baffling in the can. I had it in the drug bin.
    The problem down here is not only are we coastal but the temperature changes wildly which leads to lots of condensation. last week we had some days in the 70s, today it's in the low 40s...
    H&R sport springs,

I have to figure out something for my car too. When I removed the hose from the PVC valve on top of the supercharger manifold, it had a lot of mayo on it. I did have one set up early on but it was useless. The can filled with condensation water instead of oil. (I think I documented that earlier in this thread) I need to figure out if it was the distance of the hoses or the lack of adequate baffling in the can. I had it in the drug bin.
    The problem down here is not only are we coastal but the temperature changes wildly which leads to lots of condensation. last week we had some days in the 70s, today it's in the low 40s...
    both baffling and hose length/routing play big parts, for sure - but baffling would be priority for me. the can i originally used on the ZHP i bought as a test can and it had lousy baffling. it was a good POC can but not good for long-term use.

i know vince (in sweden) was using his can/separator in the drug bin and it worked well for him; however, the M3 would have different hose routing (shorter) than the ZHP.

are you using an actual PCV valve in the line from the can to the intake manifold?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I think Ryan (rkneeshaw) has his running to the drug bin but the weather is much more stable in Michigan (in the sense that when it gets warm/cold, it stays that way for a while)

The PVC valve is the round disk in the background of the last pic above. It's a BMW part that comes already installed on the supercharger manifold
    H&R sport springs,

The it was supposed to be just an oil pan gasket project

I drove the car to work a few days last week. Except for the quirks in the tune, which I hope to get straitened out soon, the car is running strong.

The supercharger has amazing torque. Very V8 like: most of the torque is already in at 2k-2.5k RPM. There is really no need to rev it past 4.5-5K RPMs even when passing or pulling away from traffic. It really is impressive. I think it has more low end torque than the M2.

Kristen took it to work the other day and saw one of the techs taking picture of it lol. She's been wanting to drive it bad. I think she likes it better than the M2. Once I get the bigger injectors in and Ryan's tune, I should be able to take the M2. It's already got about 20hp on the E46 M3

I stopped by Nth Degree yesterday and showed John the car. He was genuinely impressed with the whole package and couldn't stop raving about how tastefully everything is done. That really meant a lot to me after seeing some of the amazing cars they have worked on there!

I still want to modify the Magnaflow exhaust to make it work properly with the car. I'm going to be taking it back to Nth degree for that. John likes using the Vibrant Exhaust mufflers so that's what will be going on it. When it's done, it will 2.5" all the way to the tips

I did notice that the heat exchanger is about 1/4' too far to the left looking at the front of the car. This is bugging the crap out of me so I gotta get in there and fix that.

H&R sport springs,

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast