Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Crossmember:

I always wanted to do the TMS front subframe reinforcement kit but who want to pull the crossmember without a good reason?
    In hindsight, the reinforcement is probably unnecessary since I'm still using rubber motor mounts but for $40, what the hell...

This is the area that gets reinforced

I had the motor mount ears media blasted for a clean welding surface

Then I welded in the reinforcement backing plate. This strengthens the actual mounting surface by doubling its thickness.

Next I welded in the additional ear support. The strengthens the whole ear and keeps it from twisting.

I was really disappointed with the quality of my welds but I was working with an under rated AC line and a constantly tripping breaker in the rental house. It made it impossible to get a good consistent bead. Oh well, it is what it is it still got pretty good penetration so it was off to the powder coater.

The finished product looks great!

Even the welds look better

One reason I went with powder coating is that my crossmember was starting to rust and pit pretty bad around the edges. The only way to remove that is media blast and as long as it there, might as well get it powder coated. It was only $75 for media blast and powder coat.

I got new Lemforder control arms and bushings from FCP. I had a can of clear wheel coating so I decided what the hell and spayed the control arms.

My old ones looked so nasty, maybe this will keep them nice for a while.

With the crossmember done it's time to move on to the headers....
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Just did the AKG plates on my M3- ended up using my sand blaster to clean it up too. What are you using for a welder?

-Dave

2004 330i ZHP sedan- 6 speed swapped, Corsa exhaust
    1997 AW 328i- S52 swapped
    2004 IR 330i ZHP 6MT- aFe Stage 1, Shark Injector, RE Underdrives, Dforce LTWs- SOLD
    1997 Technoviolet M3/2/5- LS1/T56 swapped- SOLD

I have an ESAB Miggy 125 from the 80's. I had to modify it with a Euro adapter to accept a Nu-Tec Binzel style gun as ESAB stopped supplying parts for these long ago. I was running .023 because at one time, I was doing a lot of body work. The new torch came with .030 tips so I'm using that now. I use a 50/50 argon C02 mix. It's been a damn good machine over the years with a decent duty cycle.
    It usually runs good on a 15 amp circuit. I don't know what happened this time but it's a rental house so I can't mess with the wiring
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Gotcha. I have a Miller 211 and am running .030" wire.
    -Dave

2004 IR 330i ZHP 6MT- aFe Stage 1, Shark Injector, RE Underdrives, Dforce LTWs- SOLD

Man wish I knew how to weld.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

MiG welding is pretty easy.... almost like using a glue gun. if you're interested, Miller makes a unit that's set and forget for most metals. There are a ton of instructional videos on YouTube.....
    H&R sport springs,

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    MiG welding is pretty easy.... almost like using a glue gun. if you're interested, Miller makes a unit that's set and forget for most metals. There are a ton of instructional videos on YouTube.....
    Agreed. I'd argue that MIG is the most useful for automotive applications, due to the fact that it's probably easiest to weld out of position. I've done some stick, which I enjoy, and a little bit of TIG of mild steel.
    -Dave

I learned on stick back in the late seventies. I also learned that stick welding is very unforgiving. I haven't tried TiG. I like to learn though...
    H&R sport springs,

I had to do a lot of arc welding for the dune buggy I built back when I was in undergrad, learnt the hard to have proper eye protection...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I had to do a lot of arc welding for the dune buggy I built back when I was in undergrad, learnt the hard to have proper eye protection...
    I was working in a truck shop and this old guy came in to do some cutting and welding. He was using the cutting torch without any goggles. When I asked him about it, he said he never used them. That night he gave me a ride home.... I thought I was going to die.... Every time car came from the other direction, it blinded him and would run off the road. It wasn't much better when there weren't any cars. That night I made a mental note to never, ever do any cutting or welding without proper eye protection...
    H&R sport springs,

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast