Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Rebuilt the Vanos and performed the anti rattle from Besian.

There was a significant amount of axial play that is now eliminated from the piston assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to know, how big of a wear lip were in the piston bores of the VANOS? especially smaller bores in the covers...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

James' TiAg daily

They were worn but much less than I expected to see. I didn’t think to mic them while apart. the covers had less wear than the bore on the housing. I feel like you can almost see the lip in the intake housing/bore in the last photo

Yea, I was asking because I still have mine apart. Mine appear to be worn out with, what I would consider, a huge lip. I have a micrometer and a caliper but nothing to measure bores correctly. My covers are worn more than the housing...
    Raj at Beisan: "the bores should be 70mm and 45mm. anything more than .1mm is probably not good"
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Idk I feel like the worn groove on mine was more than .1mm . The car accelerates much smoother after the procedure. I’d put it together and see what happens. The contacted area should be out past the seal anyhow. I’m thoroughly impressed with how nice the car drives after just 50+ miles of break in on the seals.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerteknik View Post
    Rebuilt the Vanos and performed the anti rattle from Besian.

There was a significant amount of axial play that is now eliminated from the piston assembly.

Nice! I need to do this. How long did it take you?

James' TiAg daily

I really took my time with it. I’ve never done a Vanos rebuild before. Worked on it last night from 4:15 to 6:00 on and off and this morning from 6:30 to 8:30 so 3.5hrs give or take.

I also ran into some issues with valve cover removal due to my installed G.A.S. CCV the filter housing top 2 portions had to be removed. And I had to either remove the secondary air port manifold on the intake or remove the stud in the head closest to the CCV outlet on the valve cover. I chose to remove the stud.

I really took my time with it. I’ve never done a Vanos rebuild before. Worked on it last night from 4:15 to 6:00 on and off and this morning from 6:30 to 8:30 so 3.5hrs give or take.

I also ran into some issues with valve cover removal due to my installed G.A.S. CCV the filter housing top 2 portions had to be removed. And I had to either remove the secondary air port manifold on the intake or remove the stud in the head closest to the CCV outlet on the valve cover. I chose to remove the stud.

Interesting, thanks!

How do you like the G.A.S. CCV unit? I haven't heard too much from any of the beta testers.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Interesting, thanks!

How do you like the G.A.S. CCV unit? I haven't heard too much from any of the beta testers.
    Only complaint is the bit of oil that spills during service. It may be user error on my end but I’ve done 2 oil services on it since install and both times I seem to spill a bit when I lift the cap section off.

The unit is super easy to clean. And had been clean both times I serviced it. I just spray down the passages with a bit of brake clean, wipe it off and back together it goes.

Only complaint is the bit of oil that spills during service. It may be user error on my end but I’ve done 2 oil services on it since install and both times I seem to spill a bit when I lift the cap section off.

The unit is super easy to clean. And had been clean both times I serviced it. I just spray down the passages with a bit of brake clean, wipe it off and back together it goes.

Any oil consumption improvement?

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast