Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spacer Quality Question

Hey guys,
    So i've ordered a set of vmr v703 wheels in the staggered 19x8.5 et40 and 19x9.5 et 45. I figure the fitment wont be as aggressive as id like so im looking into ordering a set of 5mm spacers. My problem is, I did not expect spacers to be so expensive for brand names. Ive also come accross not so known brands that make spacers that are alot cheaper price wise. My question is, is it a big deal to not spend the big bucks to go with a known manufacturer? Right now I have the opportunity to buy a set of 5mm spacers without bolts for 55 dollars. Im just not sure if I should pull the trigger. Another thing I am taking into consideration is the fact that I may go to 10mm spacers in the back or squared (not sure).

Looking forward to your help for a noob guys! lol

Michael

As is the case with many products, you get what you pay for, IMO.

Consider whether the spacer will rust, break (while trying to remove a stuck one), have notches for easier removal, etc.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'd agree with Botond for larger hubcentric spacers but 5mm is just a shim. Go with the cheapest.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Quote Originally Posted by wsmeyer View Post
    I'd agree with Botond for larger hubcentric spacers but 5mm is just a shim. Go with the cheapest.
    true, but you NEED longer bolts, and they need to be of good quality. otherwise you are asking for trouble. and you don't want that kind of trouble.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I agree 5mm of threads is a lot on a bolt that is going to be under that much stress
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    true, but you NEED longer bolts, and they need to be of good quality. otherwise you are asking for trouble. and you don't want that kind of trouble.
    I agree but he said he was buying them without bolts.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    I agree 5mm of threads is a lot on a bolt that is going to be under that much stress
    On a hubcentric setup their is no shear force on the bolts, only tensile so the length of the bolt doesn't really matter.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

I'm old school. I always want a lot of threads... hard lessons learned long ago
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Oh damn, didn't think extended bolts were needed for 5mm?

Somebody might know for stock wheels but you're really going to need to measure for aftermarket or be safe and get longer bolts. To measure you would mount the wheel and torque 4 of the bolts to spec. Turn the 5th with your fingers until it just grabs, then put a mark on the bolt and very carefully count how many turns it takes to torque it to spec. Then remove the bolt and as an example, if it took 8 turns, measure the distance of 8 threads, that's how far it went into your flange. For maximum strength, it is very important that the bolt goes all the way through the flange, hopefully someone has one they can measure as you would need to remove the brake disc to measure it. Let's assume it's 8mm thick, you would want at least 9mm as measured above.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast