Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with Xenon retrofit for ZKWs

Need some help from anyone who's done the Xenon ZKW retrofit...

I recently brought my car to a well-regarded indy shop in my area. The shop owner, who seems to know what he's doing, said he could not install the retrofit kit that people here are recommending. I bought the kit that everyone seemed to recommend (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.V6iqhvkrKM9) and even gave him the link to the DIY thread on this forum (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-doityourself). Regardless, he said he had a few problems:

1) He could slide the silver plastic covering (not sure of the proper name) over the projector, but it wouldn't latch on or fasten anywhere. It would just slide back off.
    2) He said the entire assembly was too long.
    3) The wiring pins were incorrect.
    4) He said to make things fit he would have had to do a substantial amount of Dremeling.

He thinks I got the wrong parts. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly the shroud (the silver plastic covering) doesn't snap into place, it is JB Welded into place. There was also a minimal amount of dremeling done. I don't remember everything that was done since I had a good friend of mine do the install. He has done quite a few retrofits and said this one was the worst one he has dealt with and it took us like 10 hours to do...

You did buy the correct kit, assuming they sent you the correct stuff. Sorry I can't be of further assistance, but I just watched as my friend did all the hard work!

i used that kit on my car. the shroud needs to be glued/RTV'd to the projector assembly - not a big deal. it does not clip on.

otherwise, i don't see why it wouldn't fit (or be too long) - it fit perfectly in my car. what year is your car and what headlights do you have now? (halogen or xenon projector?)

also, reach of to TRS for assistance - they have excellent customer service! i bought a universal kit for my montero from them as well.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I have a 2004 ZHP with ZKW Xenons. I actually did call TRS, but the guy I spoke to didn't seem to know very much. He referred me to the thread on this site for installation instructions...

What about the pin connections? That was also a point of confusion for my shop.

Anyone able to help with respect to the connectors? Is it supposed to just plug right in or is there some soldering or something special that needs to be done?

Sorry man, I've got no suggestions... I would have sent my lights to LightWerkz for the retrofit (this is actually what I did). They have all the stuff needed to get the job done and have tons of experience since light retrofits and lighting-related projects is all they do.

It seems to me that the shop you left it with isn't experienced with lighting retrofits, so it's an idea.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by swchang View Post
    Anyone able to help with respect to the connectors? Is it supposed to just plug right in or is there some soldering or something special that needs to be done?
    Did you take a look at the following DIY thread?
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...t-doityourself

All you are really changing are the projector bowls so you just need to splice in the bi-xenon shutter connectors to the factory ones. All the other bulb connectors etc stay the same.

Can you be more specific (with pictures) as to which connectors you are referring to? I did the Morimoto FX-R 3.0 DIY 2 years ago and apart from the dremmeling bits, everything else was pretty straightforward.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Thanks for the suggestions. They actually did have a guy that has a lot of experience with lighting and he said he was baffled... Sigh.

I did look at that DIY and that is the one I gave to the shop. I'll take some pictures tonight or tomorrow and post what I mean. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Did you take a look at the following DIY thread?
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...t-doityourself

All you are really changing are the projector bowls so you just need to splice in the bi-xenon shutter connectors to the factory ones. All the other bulb connectors etc stay the same.

Can you be more specific (with pictures) as to which connectors you are referring to? I did the Morimoto FX-R 3.0 DIY 2 years ago and apart from the dremmeling bits, everything else was pretty straightforward.
    Wow. I've really slacked off on getting the pics. Can't believe two months has passed already...

Well, if you're still around, here are the pictures of the connectors. Are these the same ones that you used and that were in the DIY?

Name:  2016-08-16 10.43.05.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  226.2 KBName:  2016-08-16 10.42.53.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  204.2 KB

Let me know if you need me to take any other pics. I'll try not to take two months this time...

It doesn't matter what the connectors look like on the end. You will be splicing it into the stock bixenon wires anyways. But yeah they are supposed to look like that. You plug those into a plastic connector usually.

Maybe the dude is scared to dremel some stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast