Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 4K Dip

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    Interesting thread. Back when I first owned my car it had a pretty significant dip, so I had the dealership send the ECU out and do that fix. It helped a little, but it was still there.

I sold the car and the following was done: Dr. Vanos, GAS DISA, and a custom ECU tune (also perf muffler). The dip is completely gone in basically all circumstances. The only time I felt it a little was at 1/2 throttle, 4th gear pull one time. Not sure what the custom tune did or if it turned off the DISA altogether. All I know is it pulls beautifully, way better than when I sold it. It's weird -- I accelerate in first and second totally expecting it to be there because that's what I'm used to, so it's odd now that it's gone.
    I never had the dip for the first 5 years of ownership. In the last year I've noticed it badly in 2nd gear and it hurts my soul lurching forward and then back into my seat with my foot to the floor whenever I push through 4k rpms. Never had the issue before and all of a sudden here it is.

I have rebuilt my DISA valve with the GAS kit years ago. I have a vacuum leak somewhere, need to find it and solve that (no light but rpms dip down when idle and bounce back up slightly). I also have a shark injector I need to install. The shark claims it fixes the 4k dip, but from the other posts in this thread it doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    I never had the dip for the first 5 years of ownership. In the last year I've noticed it badly in 2nd gear and it hurts my soul lurching forward and then back into my seat with my foot to the floor whenever I push through 4k rpms. Never had the issue before and all of a sudden here it is.

I have rebuilt my DISA valve with the GAS kit years ago. I have a vacuum leak somewhere, need to find it and solve that (no light but rpms dip down when idle and bounce back up slightly). I also have a shark injector I need to install. The shark claims it fixes the 4k dip, but from the other posts in this thread it doesn't seem to work for everyone.
    unplug your DISA. You will know right away if that fixes it for you. Trust me, I tried hard to notice any difference (except for the dip going away) and I cannot so I just left it unplugged.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    unplug your DISA. You will know right away if that fixes it for you. Trust me, I tried hard to notice any difference (except for the dip going away) and I cannot so I just left it unplugged.
    So funny thing

I took my car to my mechanic last year when my power steering fluid leaked out of a hose, and destroyed my power steering pump with it. Somehow during the job, they unplugged my DISA valve connector.

I was at Justin's doing a trans and diff fluid flush and installing a new windshield cowl. With the hood popped, Justin looks in and goes "dude did you unplug your DISA valve" No... I haven't had to open the hood for 6 months or so other than putting in a little oil here and there.

As soon as it was plugged in again I realized how much low end torque I was missing out on. I was having to rev the nuts off the motor to get anywhere before that, and this solved that issue. Mind you, I had my AFE cold air intake on, which robs low end torque for high end power. Once I put the stock airbox back in I realized how much low end torque the AFE intake actually took.

I can try unplugging the DISA valve again, but I really don't think it will fix anything. I still had the dip the entire time the valve was unplugged for those months before I realized.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Ah ok. Then yeah maybe your issue is being cause by something else.

My dip is completely gone and my power delivery is unchanged as far as I can tell. Just the non-dip, smooth inline 6 power delivery it should have.

I use the BMW Performance intake. Must be less aggressive than an aftermarket intake.

Hope you can figure it out man! Keep this thread updated. There might be other people who unplug the DISA and it doesn't help. Luckily it's a 5 minute test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

You have to clear the adaptations after you unplug it.
    1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!

I am having the same problem in my 330i, my coupe is fine. I am planning to unplug the DISA to see if this helps. Is clearing the adaptation is same as the resetting the Throttle response?
    If it works I will go the stealership for the software update for a permanent fix.

In my first ZHP, I had the DME reflashed by a shop in Louisville as I was told this would fix the issue. $120 later and my DME was updated to current software and the 4K issue was gone. I’ll be going to this shop in the spring with my current ZHP in hopes to remedy the same issue.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

I just bought my ZHP and have been busy doing a lot of work to it at 140k. I noticed the 4k dip initially. The car would fall on it's face.

I tore it down and did belts, pulleys, belt tensioners, OFHG, CCV, vanos line, upper and lower intake books, Cleaned and lubricated ICV with engine oil, and replaced DISA with new OEM all at the same time. Cleaned TB and new gasket there as well. Prolly missing a few other little things but that's the most of it.

I found tears in my lower intake boot and my ICV was stuck with crud. Also fairly certain of a vacuum leak which developed around my DISA valve from a bad gasket.

I did it in the evenings a little at a time so the car sat with the battery unhooked for a week.

Since doing all that, the incessant hissing of the vacuum leak is gone. Idle, especially when cold, is smooth. All the bearing rattle and clatter from the pulleys is gone. Most importantly, the 4K dip is all but gone. I say that because I thought I barely felt it the other day (one time out of many), but even then it was slight. Not like before where the car fell on it's ass then suddenly picked back up.

I was going to rebuild the DISA with a gas kit but when I was testing the vacuum pot, a few times instead of springing back open the flap seemed like it would get hung up and not spring back completely. That is why I opted to replace it with new instead.

Also, FWIW, this is my second e46. My old car was an 02 325Ci that I owned from 40k miles to 120k miles. In all that time, on the original DISA and religious maintenance, I never once ever had issues with a 4k dip, EVER. I drove the hell out of that car too. It also never had a Vanos rattle, and running BMW OEM Oil in 7500 change intervals never even burned any oil. I always heard talk the M54B30's had more issues... we'll see soon enough what I got myself into, lol.
    Last edited by Thatguy_JZ; 03-08-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Nice werk

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

4K Dip

So everyone has pretty much figured out how to solve the 4k dip by either programming out the DISA with BMW’s code update or unplugging the disa and resetting the DME adaptations....

Has anyone figured out why this is happening? The theory is the disa makes noises that the engine knock sensors are picking up which then the dme throttles the torque at 3750 rpm which is when the disa is moving its flap... so if that is correct why doesn’t a new disa fix this issue?

The reason I bring this up is BMW’s “fix” appears to be disabling the disa...

So that means we lose torque below 3750 rpm. If we wanted the torque back what is the proper fix to keep the disa operational?

I am throwing this question out there to see if anyone knows or cares to figure it out.

My ZHP still does pull well below 3750 rpm after the bmw SIB code fix however it definitely had more torque below 3750 rpm when the DISA valve was operational before the code fix.
    Last edited by charter21p5; 04-09-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678