Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 4K Dip

I am glad to read all the good news. This 4K dip issue can really ruin the driving experience.

So it has been well over 30 days and the 4K dip is completely eliminated. No new issues to report. The car pulls strong and really pulls the most starting at 4K rpm.
    Last edited by charter21p5; 11-23-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!

Quote Originally Posted by charter21p5 View Post
    I am glad to read all the good news. This 4K dip issue can really ruin the driving experience.

So it has been well over 30 days and the 4K dip is completely eliminated. No new issues to report. The car pulls strong and really pulls the most starting at 4K rpm.
    Glad to hear. What was your solution?

4k dip GONE!

Ive logged over 150k miles in my (2) zhp's. I have chased this 4k dip for the last 3 years. All maintenance is up to date (vanos seals, disa, factory software updates.) It is really the only annoying thing about the zhp's..... and it really gotten under my skin. After reading this thread, I was inspired to get the INPA and clear all the adaptation codes. Now, It is only day 1 of this, but I will say that it is GONE! Power delivery is very linear right through 4k.

Drive on.
    Last edited by jason89i; 12-06-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Once I unplugged my DISA my dip went away. That was weeks ago. Still haven't tried plugging it back in. I don't really notice a difference. *shrug*. I don't have the ability to clear my adaptions.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    Once I unplugged my DISA my dip went away. That was weeks ago. Still haven't tried plugging it back in. I don't really notice a difference. *shrug*. I don't have the ability to clear my adaptions.
    Plug it back and it may stay gone. I thought adaptations was just a sequence of key on and off.

So it has been well over 60 days since I had the dealer apply their update fix for the 4k dip and I can report the 4k dip is definitely gone. I also cleared the adaptations after BMW performed the update to ensure the car re-learned my more aggressive driving style and programmed out any remnants previously learned from the 4k dip. The car pulls strong across the power band.

The zhp 2-3k dip is resolvable via the publicly available bmw code. The 4k dip fix is to either have BMW update the car via their proprietary update or unplug the DISA.
    Last edited by charter21p5; 12-21-2016 at 06:15 PM.

The zhp 2-3k dip is resolvable via the publicly available bmw code. The 4k dip fix is to either have BMW update the car via their proprietary update or unplug the DISA.
    Doesn't that special DME code just deactivate the disa? Seems I read that years ago. 4.5 years into my ZHP ownership, with several attempts to correct it (new Disa Gold, rebuilt VANOS, DME update, Shark Tune), I still have both the 2-3k dip AND the 4k stumbling. Runs smooth as glass otherwise.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Doesn't that special DME code just deactivate the DISA? Seems I read that years ago. 4.5 years into my ZHP ownership, with several attempts to correct it (new Disa Gold, rebuilt VANOS, DME update, Shark Tune), I still have both the 2-3k dip AND the 4k stumbling. Runs smooth as glass otherwise.
    Updating your DME to the latest bmw software should fix your 2-3k dip. I had the same issue on mine and the latest software resolved the 2-3k dip issue. The 4k dip issue associated to my zhp was resolved via the proprietary bmw code update. This update required an internal BMW case opened requesting BMW North America flash the DME. Before I had my zhp udpated with the 4k dip software update I disconnected my DISA for several days, reset the adaptations and confirmed the 4k dip was gone. To permanently fix the 4k dip you could either disconnect the DISA and leave it disconnected or get the software update from bmw which keeps the DISA open. I had bmw apply the update which keeps the DISA permanently open. This is what ultimately resolved the 4k dip on my car.

I am reading some of the replies to this thread where they temporarily disconnected the DISA and it resolved the issue. Whether you permanently or temporarily disconnect the DISA electrical connector, I would also think you would want to clear the learned adaptations because your car has learned dynamically programmed knock adaptations, sourcing from the DISA valve, causing the 4k dip.

I've tried clearing adaptations too, a long time ago. But maybe I haven't done it since some of the changes? I'll give it another shot. It's easy and can't hurt. If anything positive changes, I'll report back.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by jason89i View Post
    4k dip GONE!

............ After reading this thread, I was inspired to get the INPA and clear all the adaptation codes. Now, It is only day 1 of this, but I will say that it is GONE! Power delivery is very linear right through 4k. .
    Dip is back after 10k miles. Ug.

The 4k dip issue associated to my zhp was resolved via the proprietary bmw code update. This update required an internal BMW case opened requesting BMW North America flash the DME. Before I had my zhp udpated with the 4k dip software update I disconnected my DISA for several days, reset the adaptations and confirmed the 4k dip was gone. To permanently fix the 4k dip you could either disconnect the DISA and leave it disconnected or get the software update from bmw which keeps the DISA open. I had bmw apply the update which keeps the DISA permanently open. This is what ultimately resolved the 4k dip on my car.

I am reading some of the replies to this thread where they temporarily disconnected the DISA and it resolved the issue. Whether you permanently or temporarily disconnect the DISA electrical connector, I would also think you would want to clear the learned adaptations because your car has learned dynamically programmed knock adaptations, sourcing from the DISA valve, causing the 4k dip.
    I think you are correct to get permanent resolution. Time to take it in.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast