Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    Thank you for posting it here. I've never heard about this kit before.
    If there will be a group buy, I'll go with assembled weld kit.
    Last year I got a complementary inspection from Turner Motorsport and by my surprise I saw micro cracks on the sheet. metal. They are very tiny, but I thinks it's a matter of time, when they start to propagate. My car is 03 with unknown history before my ownership.
    Welcome...

There is a group buy that ends 9/18/16 here: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=551862
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

thanks for posting, gary! i've been away in haiti for 8 days and am just catching up on this now.

to answer other's questions (and to resonate with RUS_ZHP), it is definitely possible for our cars to succumb to this, mine is case in point. vince's solution is phenomenal and as i intend to keep my car indefinitely, i am going for it.

the epoxy- and rivet-on kit is, according to vince, the stronger of the two kits - and definitely easier to install (especially if you don't own a welder ).

peter

2005 330iT ZHP | the Growlour

2010 328iT M Sport | smooth operator

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    Thanks for posting, gary! I've been away in Haiti for 8 days and I'am just catching up on this now.

The epoxy- and rivet-on kit is, according to vince, the stronger of the two kits - and definitely easier to install (especially if you don't own a welder ).

Welcome...Looking forward to seeing how the install goes. I might be purchasing an epoxy set here soon before the GB is over on 9/18.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    thanks for posting, gary! i've been away in haiti for 8 days and am just catching up on this now.

to answer other's questions (and to resonate with RUS_ZHP), it is definitely possible for our cars to succumb to this, mine is case in point. vince's solution is phenomenal and as i intend to keep my car indefinitely, i am going for it.

the epoxy- and rivet-on kit is, according to vince, the stronger of the two kits - and definitely easier to install (especially if you don't own a welder ).

If epoxy is stronger, I might consider going with this option. Somehow I missed that in the thread.
    I was thinking about subframe reinforcement for sometime now. And i was leaning towards Turner kit intil i saw this discussion.
    My friend has a welder, but honestly I'd rather go with the epoxy, but for some reason I was sceptical about epoxy application.
    I am definitely will have to do more research over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

epoxy bonds to a much larger surface area. When welding you can only go around the perimeter and a few rosette welds
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

So the epoxy kit would probably involve lower installation labor costs? (There's no way I can undertake either project myself).
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Quote Originally Posted by RUS_ZHP View Post
    If epoxy is stronger, I might consider going with this option. Somehow I missed that in the thread.
    I was thinking about subframe reinforcement for sometime now. And i was leaning towards Turner kit intil i saw this discussion.
    My friend has a welder, but honestly I'd rather go with the epoxy, but for some reason I was sceptical about epoxy application.
    I am definitely will have to do more research over the weekend.
    see rob's and my responses below!

i wouldn't use the turner kit, personally - does not cover enough surface area, and does not address the root of the problem. do you have any cracks now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    epoxy bonds to a much larger surface area. When welding you can only go around the perimeter and a few rosette welds
    correct. epoxy + rivets = extremely strong (using the epoxy that vince specs, as not all epoxies are equal). also, vince's upcoming 'VincePlates' (if they materialize) will cover a much larger surface area than even the redish plates, and will be an epoxy- and rivet-on installation. i'm waiting for these for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    So the epoxy kit would probably involve lower installation labor costs? (There's no way I can undertake either project myself).
    yes - if you don't have any pre-existing cracks (which i would be surprised about on a post-10/2004 car), you can install this without even dropping the rear subframe and suspension. you do have to lower it about 3", but everything remains connected to the car (save rear shocks), which means a lot less labor.

peter

Here is the "Vince Plates" he is working on.

And some of the parts needed for the reinforcement kit came in.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 09-02-2016 at 05:23 PM.

thanks gary, didn't see that post yet.
    peter

Welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by VinceSE2 View Post
    Below please find some pictures from the installation I'm currently working on.

This is a pristine (i was actually pleasantly surprised with how well kept it is) -02 with approximately 62500 miles on it.

The owner contacted me after finding the usual hairline crack:

And once the underside was cleaned a couple of popped spot welds were clearly visible as well (top middle of the picture):

There is also a, hardly noticeable, separation at the connection between the RACP and the wheel well:

And once the underside was cleaned, the two popped spot welds responsible for that separation were clearly visible (one at the lower left corner of the picture, and one at the top right:

We didn't believe there was any damage to the front right mount, but once the rear axle was removed and the underside was cleaned, we found this:

A surprisingly bad crack at the right, and the typical semi circular hairline crack around the mounting hole where the hex piece of the stud rests against the RACP.

And after I'd cut open the access to the topside of the right front mount I was just about to tell the owner of the car that this was the first car I've seen that was not cracked at the top. But then I looked closer and found this:

The right slot has cracks at the top left and bottom right corners.

So the owner caught this in just the right time to make it an easy repair/reinforcement project.

Oh, and the laser cutting guy told me today that the tubes are done!

So we'll be picking them up tomorrow and I'll assemble the first epoxy/rivet kit (that'll go into this car). I'll share some pics of that tomorrow.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast