Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    I believe so, yes.
    hmmm... i found this install video for the Connects2 product, and the narrator specifies that the head unit must be in 'CD changer' mode to receive a handsfree call (or, it would seem, make a handsfree call) - this seems to make sense though as the Connects2 device not only plugs in via the CD changer port, but also likely only has power/authority at that point. this likely won't be an issue for me, but at least hopefully you have an answer now! and, perhaps, this will also ring true (ha, sorry...) for the zemex unit i referenced above, as well.

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    hmmm... i found this install video for the Connects2 product, and the narrator specifies that the head unit must be in 'CD changer' mode to receive a handsfree call (or, it would seem, make a handsfree call) - this seems to make sense though as the Connects2 device not only plugs in via the CD changer port, but also likely only has power/authority at that point. this likely won't be an issue for me, but at least hopefully you have an answer now! and, perhaps, this will also ring true (ha, sorry...) for the zemex unit i referenced above, as well.
    The Zemex is proving difficult to research online, because the only threads are on german forums. Ive used google translate to trawl through a few of them and it sounds like quite a good product. The advantage over the Connects2 unit is that it supports 3.5mm AUX and native iPod connections if you want those options as well.

The Ebay link you posted above does specifically say, "...Bluetooth Handsfree integrated with external microphone and mute circuit (depending on model)". I have emailed the eBay seller and zemex.de and asked them a few questions about it to try and get clarity.
    2004 BMW 330i M-sport 6MT
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

The Zemex is proving difficult to research online, because the only threads are on german forums. Ive used google translate to trawl through a few of them and it sounds like quite a good product. The advantage over the Connects2 unit is that it supports 3.5mm AUX and native iPod connections if you want those options as well.

The Ebay link you posted above does specifically say, "...Bluetooth Handsfree integrated with external microphone and mute circuit (depending on model)". I have emailed the eBay seller and zemex.de and asked them a few questions about it to try and get clarity.
    excellent. if you find it does offer the kind of integration you're after, please let me know, as then i will likely go for that unit as well (if not i'll pursue the Connects2 unit).
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I've got the Zemex in my E46, the GROM in my E39.

IMO.....Forget the Zemex. Never could get the USB or 3.5mm jack to work right, but since my main use was BT & A2DP, it works okay with that. Steering wheel control is the other difference, the GROM also allows Siri (via the sneezing man button) and Call pickup (via the FWD/Back) buttons) on the left. GROM also has a much wider installed base along with a manufacturer that does provide support.

Frank W.

Present
    2003 BMW 530iA Saphirschwarz Metallic

Past
    2006 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i ///M-Sport Mineralgrau Metallic
    2011 BMW 328i 6MT ///M-Sport Alpenweiss
    1999 BMW ///M Roadster Estorilblau Metallic

plus an assortment of VW, Honda, Mazda, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, and others over the years

Quote Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post

IMO.....Forget the Zemex. Never could get the USB or 3.5mm jack to work right, but since my main use was BT & A2DP, it works okay with that. Steering wheel control is the other difference, the GROM also allows Siri (via the sneezing man button) and Call pickup (via the FWD/Back) buttons) on the left. GROM also has a much wider installed base along with a manufacturer that does provide support.
    great info, thanks frank! which GROM unit do you have?

EDIT: i guess it's the BT3.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    great info, thanks frank! which GROM unit do you have?

EDIT: i guess it's the BT3.
    Correct.....BT3

Frank W.

Present

Past

plus an assortment of VW, Honda, Mazda, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, and others over the years

Interesting.. so presumably you've had issues with getting support from Zemex? What is the quality of the A2DP streaming on the zemex like? And what is the quality of the phone handsfree? Does the headunit need to be in CD Changer mode to take a phone call or will it switch to teh zemex from another source automatically?
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

Interesting.. so presumably you've had issues with getting support from Zemex?
    Email: no response (and the email I sent was in German as I am fluent)
    Website: minimal, more info available on German BMW enthusiast sites
    Instructions: barely useful

What is the quality of the A2DP streaming on the zemex like? And what is the quality of the phone handsfree?
    Both good sound wise, GROM works better with steering wheel controls

Does the headunit need to be in CD Changer mode to take a phone call or will it switch to teh zemex from another source automatically?
    Yes, all the units (Zemex, GROM, etc.) that plug into the CD Changer harness must be in CD Changer mode to do anything with. Makes sense as no CD changer I've ever heard of could send an interrupt signal back to the headunit to make it swap modes.

Frank W.

Present

Past

Yes, all the units (Zemex, GROM, etc.) that plug into the CD Changer harness must be in CD Changer mode to do anything with. Makes sense as no CD changer I've ever heard of could send an interrupt signal back to the headunit to make it swap modes.
    I wonder what makes the Parrot units different then..?
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

I wonder what makes the Parrot units different then..?
    I had one a Parrot unit in a Hyundai Sonata about 8 years ago, Parrot units take the Headunit output and controls/processes it and reamplifies to the amp/speakers. GROM/Zemex are an input into the Headunit. Old-school ASCII diagram to follow:

GROM/Zemex

GROM/ZEMEX --> CD Input of Headunit --> HK Amp --> Speakers

Parrot

Headunit --> Parrot --> HK Amp --> Speakers

-----

In other words Parrot uses the Headunit as input, with GROM/Zemex the Headunit uses the GROM/Zemex as input. Due to that, the Parrot will have lesser sound quality, as every time you reamplify a signal more noise is introduced. The good news for Parrot is that with this configuration it is a lot easier to integrate with all kinds of headunits from many different manufacturers
    Last edited by fw_fw; 09-16-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add more info on Parrot

Frank W.

Present

Past

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast