Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Anyone have a good power steering fluid flush DIY?

Noticed my power steering reservoir had a film of oil all over it like it's been leaking and sure enough the cap gasket was missing... Then I noticed the oil in there was very dark and slightly burnt smokey smelling and I figured maybe it hasn't ever been changed...Car has 47,000 miles on it.

So me thinks I will be adding to the list of fixes, but I have never done it before.
    So any help for a novice would be great!

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

More than you asked for, but this is one approach...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ring+flush+diy

Personally, I used my mity-vac to evacuate the reservoir, refill with fresh ATF, start the car and move the wheel from full lock to full lock to circulate the fresh fluid (many times), rinse and repeat until I used up a full liter of fresh fluid.

You may want to pull the belly pan off and have a look see at your lines. On my car, the high pressure line at the rack, yes - the really expensive one, is seeping enough fluid to collect in that belly pan, but not drip onto the ground. At my last track inspection the mechanic said it was normal and acceptable in it's current condition. He said when you hear air sucking sounds, that's when it's time to replace them with official BMW parts.
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

I did the Nathan Carter TB flush.

TB = Turkey Baster.

Buy one qt of M1 ATF, suck as much outta the resevoir, and fill with fresh ATF. Then driver 300 miles, and repeat the process 3 times. At the end....you end up with just about fresh fluid in your system.

Droid! Srs Legitness!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks Jeff and Dane for the help. It doesn't appear I have any leaks so I will forego the complete swap out and just go purchase a big fat turkey baster some ATF and a damn gasket for the cap.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

I got my TB at Advance Auto Parts. It is actually a Battery Electrolyte sucker thing (BEST). It made me feel better buying it at an auto store. Works like a champ. Three sux......and the reservoir is empty. Mine is red. It is good.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I got my TB at Advance Auto Parts. It is actually a Battery Electrolyte sucker thing (BEST). It made me feel better buying it at an auto store. Works like a champ. Three sux......and the reservoir is empty. Mine is red. It is good.
    haha was just there and bought the same one I think, it's red. Like Imola Red. I think it matches your car?

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Imola red FTW.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

spencers Guest
    Autozone.com
    I followed this one this weekend
    http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/maf