Looking for correct air conditioning compressor part number for the ZHP. If you have a ZHP and have replaced the compressor relatively recently, please post the part number from your repair invoice.

Background:

A family member's 2002 325i received a new air conditioning compressor recently. (Indie shop but OE part from local BMW dealer. They have become brutally EXPENSIVE.)

I am told Denso is the OE vendor and that the compressor they supply as a 'Genuine BMW' part is made to higher specs. Which is great but if and when the time comes for my own car, I'll roll the dice on the after market Denso at under $500 vs the OE BMW unit at well over $1k.

Current issue:

Which compressor part number to use for model years 2003+ (which all ZHPs are).

Using the serial number for my 6/03 ZHP, Realoem indicates p/n 64526910458. Click on the hyperlinked part number and realoem then goes on to indicate -0458 was superseded by 64526916232.

However, using the realoem part number application search function indicates -6232 does NOT fit my E46 "Type Code," which is EV53.

Further confusing the issue: the parts info for the '02 E46 325i noted above indicates -0458 is used on production dates up to 9/02 (implying a switch for MY 03).

Making matters worse but also semi-confirming there was a prod date change: after narrowing the search to 2003 BMW 330i on the AutohausAZ parts site, 2 of the 3 options shown indicate they are for production dates thru 8/02. Meaning MY 02 and earlier.

NOTE: there are many obsolete E46 compressor part numbers still in use by after market suppliers. You will see these on realoem and the websites of your favorite parts sources but let's sort this out and not cloud the issue with old part numbers.

If links to or screen shots from the realoem pages noted above would clarify what I'm asking, do tell and I will add to this post.

If there is an existing thread here or on another forum which addresses this, please link to it here or email me: Mark at z1usa dot net.