Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Okay, so after having had lean bank 1+2 codes again for the past few months, I found out that the MAF was "in need of replacement" again. I had already replaced it once in 2014 for the same exact issue. This time I removed it from the car and inspected it. Sure enough, there was oily crap all over it.

I love my GruppeM intake, even if it keeps fucking up my MAF. The sound is too intoxicating, but man do I hate the fact that aftermarket air filters like this use oil. What an idiotic design.

Since my MAF was "trashed" anyway, I had nothing to lose, so I went on a quest to find CRC MAF cleaner. I didn't want to use anything not designed specifically for MAFs, so it had to be this particular product. Walmart didn't have it. Advance Auto didn't have it. AutoZone, however, did.

Since everyone that said they have sprayed their MAFs said that they did little sprays here and there and went easy on it, I decided to do the opposite in the name of science. So, I doused the shit out of this thing, making sure every nook and cranny on the inside tunnel of the MAF was sprayed. I let it dry, and did it again, thoroughly spraying every single inside area including the sensor and the upper plate where it mounts. I let the whole thing dry overnight and installed the next morning, subsequently clearing the codes for my test run.

This was on February 22. It is now March 4th, having put 1000km on it since then, and the CEL is still off. I'm genuinely surprised, and now have to start wondering how long this will actually last. I'm going to see if this will last 'till my next oil change (which I'm severely overdue for one now anyway, so I'll reset the clock when I get it).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Okay, so after having had lean bank 1+2 codes again for the past few months, I found out that the MAF was "in need of replacement" again. I had already replaced it once in 2014 for the same exact issue. This time I removed it from the car and inspected it. Sure enough, there was oily crap all over it.

I love my GruppeM intake, even if it keeps fucking up my MAF. The sound is too intoxicating, but man do I hate the fact that aftermarket air filters like this use oil. What an idiotic design.

Since my MAF was "trashed" anyway, I had nothing to lose, so I went on a quest to find CRC MAF cleaner. I didn't want to use anything not designed specifically for MAFs, so it had to be this particular product. Walmart didn't have it. Advance Auto didn't have it. AutoZone, however, did.

Since everyone that said they have sprayed their MAFs said that they did little sprays here and there and went easy on it, I decided to do the opposite in the name of science. So, I doused the shit out of this thing, making sure every nook and cranny on the inside tunnel of the MAF was sprayed. I let it dry, and did it again, thoroughly spraying every single inside area including the sensor and the upper plate where it mounts. I let the whole thing dry overnight and installed the next morning, subsequently clearing the codes for my test run.

This was on February 22. It is now March 4th, having put 1000km on it since then, and the CEL is still off. I'm genuinely surprised, and now have to start wondering how long this will actually last. I'm going to see if this will last 'till my next oil change (which I'm severely overdue for one now anyway, so I'll reset the clock when I get it).
    Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try that!

Mine has been on for a while and runs well enough not to convince me to spend the hundreds to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Ugh, is that what a GruppeM or any oiled filter does to the MAF?

You have to be careful not to over-oil the filter. Follow the new instructions carefully and afterwards wrap the whole thing inside and out in paper towels and let sit for the night. The paper towels will wick off any excess oil. Never had a problem this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    orange260z

2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe PDK/Sport Chrono Plus - Porsche Racing Green / Sand Beige Full Leather
    1999 Miata - Brilliant Black/Tan Leather

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Ugh, is that what a GruppeM or any oiled filter does to the MAF?
    Any oiled filter will do this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    Mine has been on for a while and runs well enough not to convince me to spend the hundreds to replace it.

The car was running great despite having the light on, so it was the same exact situation for me.

The funny thing about it is that my emissions test AND registration was due when I was dealing with the light being on. Since the car MUST pass emissions to be able to be registered, you can see how that was going to be a problem. I don't know how I got away with it, but I ended up clearing the light, driving it for a full day (which is enough time for it to run its cycle), and then going to get the emissions test done at the end of the day before the light came on. Surprisingly, it cooperated, and passed the emissions test just fine. Then, the next day, it came on again at the first crank of the day. lol

Talk about good timing.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Any oiled filter will do this.

The car was running great despite having the light on, so it was the same exact situation for me.

The funny thing about it is that my emissions test AND registration was due when I was dealing with the light being on. Since the car MUST pass emissions to be able to be registered, you can see how that was going to be a problem. I don't know how I got away with it, but I ended up clearing the light, driving it for a full day (which is enough time for it to run its cycle), and then going to get the emissions test done at the end of the day before the light came on. Surprisingly, it cooperated, and passed the emissions test just fine. Then, the next day, it came on again at the first crank of the day. lol

Talk about good timing.
    I dreaded those emission tests on Ohio. Such BS, your car was required to pass that every other year but, no safety inspection requirement. Just another thing to take money out of your pocket at $20.00 a year added to the license plate fees.

And Yes you did time that great. Now you should be good for at least 364 days.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

The difficult choice here is that the oiled ones apparently flow AND filter better than the dry ones.

An oiled AFE has been on the BMW since spring 2013 with no issues; and I've run K&N/HKS/AEM/Apexi on other cars for years without any issues, I was just really careful with the oiling. I like when the filter is white and the oil has color to it, so that you can tell when it's wicked all over the filter. The HKS was a bitch because it was green, so there was no visual indication of the oiling.
    orange260z

2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe PDK/Sport Chrono Plus - Porsche Racing Green / Sand Beige Full Leather
    1999 Miata - Brilliant Black/Tan Leather

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    I dreaded those emission tests on Ohio. Such BS, your car was required to pass that every other year but, no safety inspection requirement. Just another thing to take money out of your pocket at $20.00 a year added to the license plate fees.

And Yes you did time that great. Now you should be good for at least 364 days.
    Sounds like the IL emissions test. They plug in and check for any codes. They used to hook up the exhaust to their testing equipment, but I don't think they do that anymore at least on passenger cars. There's no charge though, at least not direct.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Sounds like the IL emissions test. They plug in and check for any codes. They used to hook up the exhaust to their testing equipment, but I don't think they do that anymore at least on passenger cars. There's no charge though, at least not direct.
    For us they put the car on a dyno. A CEL is an immediate fail. The exhaust pipe sniffer is only for OBD-I cars here. This is the method they used for my E30...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I looked up the testing program. The site mentions:
    • Most 1996 and newer gasoline-powered passenger vehicles are subject to emissions inspections after they are four years old
    • Not subject to emissions: Vehicles of model year 1995 or before that were in compliance with the Illinois Vehicle Emissions Inspection Law on February 1, 2007.

I'm sure that's super effective protecting the environment.

It would have been nice to have that when my brother had his 1988 Maxima. The catalytic converter was changed and it still barely passed the exhaust test.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast