Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adi View Post
    Apparently the AL bowls can also be burnt, it is just not nearly as common as the ZKW. If this is the case, then here is one option to replace the projectors: https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/xenon...jectors-1.html

You can also buy used AL projectors on ebay quite easily, and also retrofit FX-R projectors - www.lightwerkz.net and www.theretrofitsource.com

As far as replacement bulbs go, my favourite are the OSRAM Cool Blue Intense as they give a modern looking white colour, but still have great light output.

If you are purely looking for light output, then the Osram XNB are a good option. See here for a comparison of CBI to the predecessor of the XNB, the SVS: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...20#post1010220
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I've never heard of this...
    It can happen when you use crappy HID bulbs or run bulbs that are higher rated like 55w ones. It's not an AL problem, all OE projectors face this problem. There was a bunch of threads on it on HIDp at one point when people were experimenting with 55w-80w HID kits.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    It can happen when you use crappy HID bulbs or run bulbs that are higher rated like 55w ones. It's not an AL problem, all OE projectors face this problem. There was a bunch of threads on it on HIDp at one point when people were experimenting with 55w-80w HID kits.
    So they did email me back, and referenced the end of their AL projector install video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA_7vAVA7PY). At about 3:52 you can see the burnt AL projector bowl. Obviously we can only speculate as to whether this happens with normal 35w bulbs or only on the higher powered bulbs.
    2004 BMW 330i M-sport 6MT
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

So they did email me back, and referenced the end of their AL projector install video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA_7vAVA7PY). At about 3:52 you can see the burnt AL projector bowl. Obviously we can only speculate as to whether this happens with normal 35w bulbs or only on the higher powered bulbs.
    That assembly looks like a ZKW assembly. It's got the hole for the city lights in the housing itself, and the lens installed on the projector is a clear lens that doesn't have a line through it. These are staples of E46 ZKW lights.

I'm not sure if all AL housings need drilling for the city light holes (Derek's does), but I am pretty sure that all the AL projectors (if stock) have the line going through the projector lens. I just wish I remember what my ZKW projector bowls looked like on the unburned part (as far as finish goes) - I don't remember the unburned sections looking so matte, so the matte finish in the video does kind of suggest AL bowls.

The cutoffs shown at the end of the video also look a little too sharp to be AL's (once again, assuming the lenses are stock and haven't been replaced with ZKW or other lenses).

The video just screams ZKW to me, but it would be interesting to see some of the actual AL burnt bowl cases. I'm intrigued by the possibility that they have the problem too, I've just never heard someone complain about the ALs.

I guess I'm a bit confused. Most of the clues pointed to ZKW but the inside of the bowl looks different than a ZKW one...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Well it's no any OE I know that. Only aftermarket ones have a sticker on the base. All the more legit ones just have their labels printed on the base. No name ones don't have anything printed usually. But that burn that they show at the end is totally not normal. The AL projectors are all metal, it would take a ton of heat to even do that unlike the ZKW which are plastic.

That assembly looks like a ZKW assembly. It's got the hole for the city lights in the housing itself, and the lens installed on the projector is a clear lens that doesn't have a line through it. These are staples of E46 ZKW lights.

I'm not sure if all AL housings need drilling for the city light holes (Derek's does), but I am pretty sure that all the AL projectors (if stock) have the line going through the projector lens. I just wish I remember what my ZKW projector bowls looked like on the unburned part (as far as finish goes) - I don't remember the unburned sections looking so matte, so the matte finish in the video does kind of suggest AL bowls.

The cutoffs shown at the end of the video also look a little too sharp to be AL's (once again, assuming the lenses are stock and haven't been replaced with ZKW or other lenses).

The video just screams ZKW to me, but it would be interesting to see some of the actual AL burnt bowl cases. I'm intrigued by the possibility that they have the problem too, I've just never heard someone complain about the ALs.

I guess I'm a bit confused. Most of the clues pointed to ZKW but the inside of the bowl looks different than a ZKW one...
    It's an AL headlight. The hole isn't already there for the US headlights. This is the Euro version.

The line going through the lens is only a product of the US variant. He has the Euro unit that doesn't have the line. You can tell because when he fires it up and shows you the cutoff. The dimmer one has a Z-shaped cutoff. For the US/DOT we have the "step" cutoff, which is the brighter one at the bottom.

The new AL projectors that they install are replica ones with clear lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post

It's an AL headlight. The hole isn't already there for the US headlights. This is the Euro version.

The line going through the lens is only a product of the US variant. He has the Euro unit that doesn't have the line. You can tell because when he fires it up and shows you the cutoff. The dimmer one has a Z-shaped cutoff. For the US/DOT we have the "step" cutoff, which is the brighter one at the bottom.

The new AL projectors that they install are replica ones with clear lenses.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

So got the osram bulbs and switched them out. There's a definite improvements but still not quite where I want. I did notice that what I think are the bowls had a brown color from outside and a crack. My car has the AL headlights, does this mean I have burnt bowls!? ���� my ultimate goal was to get as close as possible to the modern bmw light output. What would I have to do to get there and why are the newer cars so much brighter?

Did you install the ALs yourself, out of curiosity?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Did you install the ALs yourself, out of curiosity?
    No everything came as is when I purchased the car. Im beginning to wonder if I actually have ZKW headlights with an AL lens cover...would that be possible? But then again, My projector lens are frosted, which indicates Al correct?

Also does anyone know of a source where I can mail my headlights to get a retrofit done, I dont think im ready to do that kind of DIY just yet
    Last edited by JPMo; 10-26-2016 at 07:06 PM.

What about the labels on the top of the headlights ?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    What about the labels on the top of the headlights ?
    Ill check it out in the morning, 11pm my time currently

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast