Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Oil Consumption Thread

There has been a lot of discussion here about the oil consumption issue and I thought it would be a good idea to get all our opinions and discussions and DIYs into a single thread.

From what I have read, heard and experienced, it seems the oil consumption on the M54B30 engine can vary from zero consumption to about a quart every 500 miles. The oil consumption seems to be present mostly on engines which have over 100k miles on them AND more importantly for a lot of folks the oil consumption seems to have gotten worse and/or started after the CCV has been replaced (for me too personally). There has been a lot of discussion on this issue on various forums, but this seems to be the most comprehensive -

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...8#post23714558

I forgot who posted the link on an another thread, I just bookmarked it for my reference, so a BIG Thank You to whoever it was. The thread linked above talks about the "O2Pilot Mod" which is named after the person who came up with it. It basically involves connecting the port on the oil separator to the port at the back of the intake manifold using a simple vacuum line. The mod seemed to have worked for a lot of folks, with some reporting near zero oil consumption with no side effects, but slater (peter) pointed out that there could be a possibility that condensation could enter the intake manifold through the vacuum line and possibly hydro lock the engine.

I recently found a video on YouTube by 50sKid, which in fine detail explains everything we had been discussing as well as possible solutions to cure the oil consumption including the O2Pilot mod -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYp3ieMy5oI

Also here is a video of the O2Pilot mod DIY by 50sKid -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo2rLSzNzt0

Obviously there is a lot more information I can add to this post but for starters I just wanted to create thread where we can all discuss the issue instead of in a random thread where it would be difficult to find later.

I would also encourage others to add anything related that you might think is interesting, important or necessary
    Last edited by san; 10-26-2016 at 05:36 AM.

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

As of now I think only BP and myself are going to try out the O2Pilot mod, so I will be tracking my oil consumption in this post.

Before CCV replacement my car was consuming a quart of oil every 7000 miles. The first oil change after the CCV replacement my car consumed only 0.5 quart for the 7000 miles, but it has been dropping since then and I am now currently at 3000 miles for every quart although I do seem to have a very small OFHG leak. Once I implement the O2Pilot mod I will update this post

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Thank you for this. Boss man ELCID86 pointed me in that direction the other day and I will be doing this mod over the weekend. I had ccv replaced and although my oil consumption didn't get any better it didn't get any worse. I'm up to a qt every 400 miles or so and engine is now at 169k. This is my DD so I expect to have results to share shortly after install

Sent from my Droid Turbo2

Does anyone know if increasing the oil weight could have a significant effect on consumption (reduction in blow-by gas)?

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Does anyone know if increasing the oil weight could have a significant effect on consumption (reduction in blow-by gas)?
    I've read that 10W-40 helps but you can't use it unless you live in warm climate, I'm in Cali so I tried it. Didn't help my oil consumption at all, neither did additives and I've tried MOS2 as well as CeraTec.

Sent from my Droid Turbo2

Nice thread! This would be a great place to consolidate other options as well. e.g. I forget who, but someone used a different valve cover with a built in CCV system, or catch can setups (slater)

I will keep my eye on this thread on how this progresses. I am withholding my move since my no oil consumption has let's say stabilized for the past 2500 mi. ever since I have switched to M1 10w-40. Testing if a lighter weight oil is the answer......hopefully.

Edit: That should have been M1 OW-40
    Last edited by das boots; 10-26-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    ...but slater (peter) pointed out that there could be a possibility that condensation could enter the intake manifold through the vacuum line and possible hydro lock the engine.
    thanks san, for creating this thread. it is a serious (and costly) issue with a potentially easy fix! in regards to above, adding a 1-way check valve would eliminate the potential for sucking oil back up into the intake manifold. thanks to research done by that youtube video poster, here is the valve:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e828779addd44d

please note that this should be a requirement if doing this vacuum mod. it needs to be inserted into the oil drain hose that runs from the bottom of the CCV, to the oil pan. you cut the hose and place this in the middle (and be mindful of the flow arrow!).

for warmer climates, i think this is a solid solution! and total cost for the modifications is perhaps $12.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Nice thread! This would be a great place to consolidate other options as well. e.g. I forget who, but someone used a different valve cover with a built in CCV system, or catch can setups (slater)
    ryan in MI used the M56 valve cover, which is a cool idea too - it should help keep the CCV from freezing, but i wonder if you can increase the vacuum on it like with this mod?

for me, i will continue to use my catch can with CCAF system. it's darn cold here and with my car doing some short trips, plus days between drives, i'm a perfect storm for CCV freeze-up.

i've been asked to sell a turn-key version of my CCAF system by a few people, which i might.

here's to reduced oil consumption!!!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    I will keep my eye on this thread on how this progresses. I am withholding my move since my no oil consumption has let's say stabilized for the past 2500 mi. ever since I have switched to M1 10w-40. Testing if a lighter weight oil is the answer......hopefully.
    Which weight did you have before?

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    for me, i will continue to use my catch can with CCAF system. it's darn cold here and with my car doing some short trips, plus days between drives, i'm a perfect storm for CCV freeze-up.

i've been asked to sell a turn-key version of my CCAF system by a few people, which i might.

here's to reduced oil consumption!!!
    What's CCAF?

Peter,
    How would some condensation hydrolock the engine? Wouldn't the condensate just burn once the engine is warmed up? Do you think such a small amount is enough to be a problem? I thought a considerably larger amount of water was required for there to be an issue, which is why I ask.

Also, for the check valve - what size is needed? I haven't had time to watch the video, but I'm trying to order all the parts I need so they arrive before the weekend, so time is of the essence. I ordered the CCV parts a couple of nights ago - it seems like this check valve is the last thing I need. Is it the 12mm that comes up by default when I click on the link?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    What's CCAF?
    I'm assuming Catch Can Anti-Freeze, since he has heating elements installed on his can to prevent freezeups.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast