Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    300 miles with 02pilot mod and so far seems like I have zero oil consumption. Should be able to log 1,000 miles in a couple weeks.
    If it keeps up I will be one happy camper! Usually I'd be down 2/3 of a quart but it's still at the full mark!

Sent from my Droid Turbo2

Oil Consumption Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    300 miles with 02pilot mod and so far seems like I have zero oil consumption. Should be able to log 1,000 miles in a couple weeks.
    If it keeps up I will be one happy camper! Usually I'd be down 2/3 of a quart but it's still at the full mark!

Man, that's awesome! Keep us posted
    I plan to do it this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

480 miles and only down half a quart. I would be down at least 1-1.5 quarts before the mod. Pretty sure this means i have a blown head gasket.

Will be doing a compression test and/or leakdown in the future. I expect I'll likely have to replace the engine, hopefully it will last till spring/summer.

I was about to do a BG EPR treatment but am afraid it may increase my consumption (which is pretty minimal at present).

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Well guys, going to start following this thread. Appears I have a consumption issue. Dipstick was bone dry the other day, only to be noticed after the engine starting making a weird noise. Will keep everyone up to date with consumption rate. I have recently fixed OFHG, OPG, New dipstick O-ring, New CCV. I know I need to do my valve cover, but I think its contribution to oil loss is small.

I did do a far amount of hard driving after I fixed my fuel filter and vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator so lots of sustained revs is my suspect.

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i think my catch can, with the heating system, is the best solution for any climate where it gets below freezing temperatures.

for warmer-climate folks - this mod (with a fresh CCV i might add - an old clogged one won't help much), seems like a solid choice - the vacuum results are the same as my catch can, which is important for good ring seal. also important is the 1-way check valve for the oil drain line - that is crucial. i'm recommending this simply for OEM-ness and ease of install. if you want a catch can setup, you need to be willing to check the can contents every so often, and you need the right can - 95% of the designs i've seen out there aren't very good.
    What are the downfalls of the 02pilot mod with the check valve in colder climates? And can they be worked around?

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    From another thread:

What are the downfalls of the 02pilot mod with the check valve in colder climates? And can they be worked around?
    you still have the potential for the CCV system freezing. generally this can be 'worked around' if you only drive longer distances - say 20min+ at a time - as the engine really needs to get warm enough to burn off the condensation.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    you still have the potential for the CCV system freezing. generally this can be 'worked around' if you only drive longer distances - say 20min+ at a time - as the engine really needs to get warm enough to burn off the condensation.
    Not driving a car long enough to warm it up would fall outside the normal operating parameters of an engine, so this (having to warm up an engine) isn't really a specific E46 problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    480 miles and only down half a quart. I would be down at least 1-1.5 quarts before the mod. Pretty sure this means i have a blown head gasket.

Will be doing a compression test and/or leakdown in the future. I expect I'll likely have to replace the engine, hopefully it will last till spring/summer.

I hope that's not the same case for me.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    I hope that's not the same case for me.
    1qt low at 700mi but I drive it like I stole it so your results may vary. I'll continue to keep track until I swap the motor.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast