Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Tips for Driving ZHP in winter?

So as winter comes around the corner quicker than a ZHP on a figure eight(impossible, ikr) people seem to be closing up shop and putting their rear wheel drive sport sedans into hybernation.
    So what about those of us that aren't putting our cars to sleep for 6 months? Here in Chicago the winters are anything but mild, often during January mornings get below -40F windchill, and the ice builds up overnight before the snow plows have a chance to get out.
    So I have compiled a small list of tips to get your car through the winter without making best friends with a few light posts, but please, this will be my first winter driving my ZHP, so if anybody has tips on how they've done it in the past, please feel free to add some insight

Common tips:
    -Put weight in the back of your car, sand bags, etc
    -Have a sense of how your car is planted when driving through the snow, if the tail end starts to lose traction don't freak out, just lay off the accelerator slowly and correct steering.
    -Take it slow. Everyone wants to whip their car around in the winter(which is fine and fun) but when you're on the commute, it stops getting fun when you're not the one initiating the slide.
    -Get a set of designated winter tires. Winter tires are made specifically for snow traction, they are made with softer rubber to give you more traction on the ice, don't risk it.
    -Leave distance between yourself and the car in front of you, if your car starts having problems put on your hazards to notify the people behind you.
    -From a stopped position, start in second gear to avoid wheel spinning
    -Limit your breaking to a straight line, and don't accelerate through corners

I need help completing this list! Add your tips you've figured out over the years, we can all help each other get through this winter! Stay safe

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

Buy my winter wheels and tires...and then just drive. The zhp is already 50/50 so you don't need to worry about weight in the back. The Blizzaks make the difference. It's night and day. You can drive as if the snow and ice weren't there rwd or not it doesn't matter.

Watch out for the other people who think they are invincible with AWD and no season tires!!

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Last year was my first year with RWD in the snow. I didn't really have any issues with a new set of General winter tires. 2nd gear starts weren't required.

I will be the weird guy here...

Driving in snow, ice, wet, dry are no different. You are managing grip and the adhesion to the driving surface. Trouble is, all those surfaces, or more appropriately the stuff on the surfaces, changes the amount of grip (and resulting space/time) you have to make the car Go, Turn and Stop.

- Tires: The only part of the car designed to come in contact with the driving surface so have a set of dedicated winter tires optimized for the white stuff.
    - Balance: Keep the car in balance. No abrupt control changes. Smooth inputs of the throttle, brake and steering.
    - Visibility: No, not just clean windows, but observe and orient your car based on what the mouth-breathers are doing. Have an out - somewhere safe(r) to stick your sheetmetal when others do dumb shit.

- Driver Gear: Besides keeping the car maintained for the winter, be prepared for field-expedient repairs and more importantly, warm, snacks and gear for the driver and passenger(s) if you find your self waiting for road cleaning, extrication or accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    I will be the weird guy here...

Driving in snow, ice, wet, dry are no different. You are managing grip and the adhesion to the driving surface. Trouble is, all those surfaces, or more appropriately the stuff on the surfaces, changes the amount of grip (and resulting space/time) you have to make the car Go, Turn and Stop.

- Tires: The only part of the car designed to come in contact with the driving surface so have a set of dedicated winter tires optimized for the white stuff.
    - Balance: Keep the car in balance. No abrupt control changes. Smooth inputs of the throttle, brake and steering.
    - Visibility: No, not just clean windows, but observe and orient your car based on what the mouth-breathers are doing. Have an out - somewhere safe(r) to stick your sheetmetal when others do dumb shit.

- Driver Gear: Besides keeping the car maintained for the winter, be prepared for field-expedient repairs and more importantly, warm, snacks and gear for the driver and passenger(s) if you find your self waiting for road cleaning, extrication or accident.
    +1
    Thanks for weighing in, quick question with regards to snow tires: when there is no snow or ice on the ground will it wear away on the wheel? Like I'm just worried about putting them on before the snow then not being able to drive on them when it's not snowing.
    Also, no all season tires? Just want to get a consensus on this, trying to convince my folks that I need the snow tires(don't know why the convincing though, I'm paying for them out of pocket either way)

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Buy my winter wheels and tires...and then just drive. The zhp is already 50/50 so you don't need to worry about weight in the back. The Blizzaks make the difference. It's night and day. You can drive as if the snow and ice weren't there rwd or not it doesn't matter.

Watch out for the other people who think they are invincible with AWD and no season tires!!
    True I forgot about 50/50, good to know before I pack my trunk full of sand bags haha. But you'd recommend the Blizzarks?

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    +1
    Thanks for weighing in, quick question with regards to snow tires: when there is no snow or ice on the ground will it wear away on the wheel?
    Snows will wear quicker on the dry, just nature of the beast. Some are better than others wrt dry traction. Rule of thumb for me is two seasons on a set of summer and winter tires. I drive a lot, though.

Also, no all season tires?
    All Season = No Season. They are a compromise for every season. And, they cause pink eye.

trying to convince my folks that I need the snow tires(don't know why the convincing though, I'm paying for them out of pocket either way)
    Different shoes for different weather, same concept. Plus, a set of dedicated snows over their lifespan is typically cheaper than an insurance deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Last year was my first year with RWD in the snow. I didn't really have any issues with a new set of General winter tires. 2nd gear starts weren't required.
    Glad to hear!

I'm originally from Buffalo NY and drove my ZHP 365'days a year in the Cleveland OH area from 12/2006 till 4/2012. I can definitely say it's the best car I've ever driven in the snow. I've also had and have 4x4 trucks and I'd say the ZHP was as good if not better in some instances. I'd also say it's a must to get dedicated snow tires and wheels. I ran the first three years on Pilots the switched over to Blizzaks. The Blizaks where definitely better but, the Pilots never let me down.

My only suggestion are to get to know the DCS system because you need to flip it to the middle mode to get wheel spin when needed. Also make sure your thermostat is good so, you can keep nice and worm inside.

With the 48-52% weight balance the car is an animal in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    True I forgot about 50/50, good to know before I pack my trunk full of sand bags haha. But you'd recommend the Blizzarks?
    Blizzaks* And yes, love them.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast