Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

M3 cluster in E46; no parking illumination light (Fix updated)

*****EDIT***** 11/8/2016*****Adding helpful info

So my Car is a 2003 ZHP with a newer cluster system that gets Parking light illumination from the BUS system rather than from the LCM.

Problem - I put a 2002 M3 cluster that has a CODE 22H on it into my 2003 ZHP in preparation for my S54 swap and while all gauges and warning lights work... the illumination does not so at night the cluster looks dead.

Talked to someone on a local FB group and he had the same problem as me and was able to tell me which PIN on the cluster plug needed a wire and which PIN on the LCM plug to get the signal from.

Solution - on the LCM plug harness, there are 2 plugs,, a BLUE and BROWN..... on the BROWN connector look for PIN 47 which is a GREY wire with RED STRIPE.. you are going to TAP into that wire and run new wire to the larger of the 2 plugs behind the cluster... the LARGE Cluster plug will have an empty pin at PIN 7... you need a spare connector pin to insert into the empty position and just run a wire to the LCM from earlier above.

you will have cluster lights then after this.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************

hi All, new here (haven't made a new member thread yet but I will soon)

i have an '03 zhp sedan with 165k miles 6 speed.

just purchased a complete S54 engine with DME cluster and accessories as well.

the cluster and engine are from a 2002, i tried [putting the cluster in just for fun and saw pretty much everything worked BUT the instrument lights. Basically at night I cant see anything in the cluster since nothing lights up except warning lights. the OBC and RPM lights work and DIM properly with the LCM controls but nothing is back lit.

I read online that newer cars 03 and above get the instrument light signal from the BUS and '02 clusters get that same signal from the LCM so I decided to try a few things.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************
    11/7/2016

I went back to the person I go the cluster from, they happened to have an '04 M3 cluster and so we put that in and still no lights.

we put back in the '02 M3 cluster and also put in the matching '02 LCM and still no light. BUT the tamper DOT went away lol and now i have day time running lights coming from my high beam bulbs at some odd low power.

Temp gauge is funky.. it shows me over heating Sometimes but then when the fan kicks in it goes back to normal. Oil temp works great and everything else as well.

Im hoping once I do the swap, get the S54 DME in the car then use NCS expert to code out EWS, change the mileage to the proper 165k and fix the DSC light... that maybe that will make the lights come on. the OBC and the RPM lights definitely dim with the dimmer switch just nothing else.

i was hoping that anyone had any thing extra info wise that could help nudge me in the right direction. Currently im trying to read the BENTLY and very lost trying to decipher the ELE wiring diagrams in the back of the manual.

thanks in advance!
    Last edited by nextelbuddy; 11-08-2016 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Updated thread with helpful solution and changed title to be more relevant for search.

Swapping an M3 gauge cluster into a ZHP has been done by a user named terraphantm here. It requires from coding and H/W modification. Here is his post:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...903#post493903
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Swapping an M3 gauge cluster into a ZHP has been done by a user named terraphantm here. It requires from coding and H/W modification. Here is his post:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...903#post493903
    thank you, he doesnt exactly go into what was done but I did quote/reply to him for some more information.

Updated my Original post for the solution to my issue so that hopefully anyone else with this issue will know for sure.

terra might be able to provide some insight regarding installing an M3 gauge cluster into a ZHP since he has already done this. Try sending him a PM

Thanks for updating your post. Always helpful to see the solution in the same post as the problem.

This is one reason I recommended coding index 23 and 24 clusters. They run the parking lights off the K-bus, so they work better in newer cars. They're also easier to code properly for non-Ms.