Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Toledo Blue e39 530i Sport - Maintenance and Project Thread

I sold my ZHP, but I felt so welcomed and really liked how this forum runs and how organized it is that I wanted to share adventures with my e39! Hope you don't mid.

Like the title says, it's a 2002 530i with Sport package in Toledo Blue color.

Car currently has around 141.600 miles. I bought it from the original owner when it had 128k miles.

I spent about 3-4 months looking for a decent e39 and patience paid off when I found this car.
    Have to give credit to the previous owner who took great care of the car.
    Have 2 keys and a valet key and all of the service records of the car from day one. He had it serviced only at the BMW Centar in Sherman Oaks where he bought it brand new.

I've done many things to the car since I had it.

Right after the purchase, I replaced front struts, mounts and bump stops since they were leaking with OE Sachs parts.

Then slowly doing some other stuff. I got new front and rear sway bar links with bushings, rear breaks, new NGK spark plugs, replaced steering angle sensor, repaired DISA valve with G.A.S kit, replaced front control arms and power steering rack, new windshield and cowl covers, new battery and I'm pretty sure I left some things out... For replacement parts I've only used OE parts as I'm dedicated on keeping the car stock.

One thing about e39s is that they have horrible projectors especially after 13 years of use.

I got new Hella Evo X-R projectors installed along with new Euro spec headlight covers paired with Morimoto D2S 5500k XB bulbs which are pure white and Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra for high beams.
    Also tossed in new LED bulbs for angel eyes making them white

Needless to say improvement was massive and driving at night time is now pure pleasure.

Got the new high gloss trim around windows of the e39 M5. I personally think it makes a huge difference compared to matte black!

This is how the interior sits. I got rid off the ugly wood trim.

And the exterior

View on Santa Barbara from the mountains. Great piece of road to the top.

That's about it for now.
    Last edited by Sreten; 11-07-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Looks great! E39s are some of the best looking cars BMW made, IMO. I definitely miss my father's 540i (although am very thankful I didn't have to share in the maintenance bills).

True. I had 4 e38s, same V8 as in 540i. More complicated to work on then on I6 and well known problems with timing chain guides. But I love the power and sound of that V8!

For sure, one of my favorite parts of that car was the M62's sound.

But thinking about timing chain and guides...*shudder*

NICE!!! I need that Tech Graphite interior trim for my 530i........BAD!!!

Frank W.

Present
    2003 BMW 530iA Saphirschwarz Metallic

Past
    2006 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i ///M-Sport Mineralgrau Metallic
    2011 BMW 328i 6MT ///M-Sport Alpenweiss
    1999 BMW ///M Roadster Estorilblau Metallic

plus an assortment of VW, Honda, Mazda, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, and others over the years

That car is perfect! We will have to meet up one of these weekends and get some coffee or do some projects. Once the hood is back on my car, it will show its face in public more.

I still need to get PAsoft up and running too

Are the sunset photos from somewhere along Rt 154?

Thanks!

Frank, I was actually looking for Tech Graphite interior trim for a long time and realized I don't want to spend $200-300 on a used, scratched trim and decided to try black brushed aluminium wrap from Vivid. It turned out excellent and they have a life time of 7 years in the outside world so no doubt it will last longer on the inside. Very happy with the results and saved few hundred bucks.

GotZHP, for sure. Next Saturday I'm planing to install new Vanos unit that I ordered from Dr Vanos.
    Will get PA Soft going in no time.

It's called Gibraltar Road. Not sure if it is the same. Took me awhile to find it.
    Last edited by Sreten; 11-08-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Super clean E39! Love it!
    2004 BMW 330i M-sport 6MT
    2003.5 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT

Thank you!

I also replaced rear shocks last Saturday.

Haven't had a particular problem with them just figured it would be nice to refresh the rear end as well, plus I got a good deal on the from FCP.

Old ones were pretty worn out. Almost completely lost compression so I'm glad I've replaced them.
    Overall, pretty easy job.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast