Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking New here: Wait until you see what I'm doing

Hello Mafia members!
    I have been a long time viewer, but the time has come for me to make my own account. I drive a 2000 328Ci and I don't plan on buying a ZHP. Surely now you're wondering why I'm here. Well I'm going to do a manual transmission swap! 6-speed or nothing.

When I do the swap, I don't want to have to go back to make it what I want. Since I'll have a parts car, all I'll need to buy is wear and tear items replaced. So things like the pedal assembly and hydraulics I will use from the parts car (maybe new clutch line). Things I'm mainly thinking of the shifter assembly, clutch/flywheel setup, and transmission fluid.

I'll start a thread when I'm ready, but I hope to get everyone's help on what are important wear and tear that I should be concerned about. I'll also be looking for short shifters and recommended clutch/flywheel setups that have flywheels over 13lbs. I think a medium weight is a good compromise for a daily. As a man from an auto, I know very little about good clutches and such. I've seen a few old threads, but available items have changed a lot very quickly since this isn't a popular transmission (only 2 years...right?). What I've mainly gathered is don't go dual mass and that lightweight flywheels make chatter at idle. Definitely not something I want. For those curious, at the moment I'm looking at the Clutch Masters FW-219-2SF.

Anyway! So that's my story. A bit long I know, just really excited to move forward. Just have to wait for the right car to come by, and then for stuff from the car to sell since that'll fund my project. Look forward to being here once I get there!
    Last edited by YoitsTmac; 11-13-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Made it shorter

Welcome I guess. So you are getting a normal 330 6sp? I would try and go for like the zhp or the m3 lol The normal 330 6sp has very few SSK options. At least none of the SSK options that are available are like the full replacement. Most will only replace just the lever and that's about it. I think the AKG has a selector rod you could get. That's the last thing I remember. I ended getting a custom SSK done by Ronald@autosolutions. I do have the RE SSK currently, and it's just the lever.

For the clutch, the OE one would work fine. Unless you're thinking about going for big power or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    Welcome I guess. So you are getting a normal 330 6sp? I would try and go for like the zhp or the m3 lol The normal 330 6sp has very few SSK options. At least none of the SSK options that are available are like the full replacement. Most will only replace just the lever and that's about it. I think the AKG has a selector rod you could get. That's the last thing I remember. I ended getting a custom SSK done by Ronald@autosolutions. I do have the RE SSK currently, and it's just the lever.

For the clutch, the OE one would work fine. Unless you're thinking about going for big power or something.
    Yup standard 330 6 speed. It's just typically called the ZHP transmission on the E46 fanatics. Since every ZHP came with it, I thought this would be the place to be. I'm really leaning towards the OE LUK (LUK-6243575000) clutch. It'd be standard power so it's no biggie. I was hesitant about stock clutch with a not stock flywheel, but I got gear chatter and clutch shutter confused as the same thing. I figured the spring rate within the clutch had something to do with it, but I've learned!

I'm currently experimenting with potential short shifters. My current choice is the euro shifter, but I have to search more to find out how much it shortens it. Why'd you go with the decide to ditch the RE SSK for the auto solutions? Didn't know they made custom shifter assemblies until that, but it's actually not crazy priced.

Welcome, man ! GL on your project. The last time I had clutch problems was in 1995, a VW. My mechanic took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    Yup standard 330 6 speed. It's just typically called the ZHP transmission on the E46 fanatics. Since every ZHP came with it, I thought this would be the place to be. I'm really leaning towards the OE LUK (LUK-6243575000) clutch. It'd be standard power so it's no biggie. I was hesitant about stock clutch with a not stock flywheel, but I got gear chatter and clutch shutter confused as the same thing. I figured the spring rate within the clutch had something to do with it, but I've learned!

I'm currently experimenting with potential short shifters. My current choice is the euro shifter, but I have to search more to find out how much it shortens it. Why'd you go with the decide to ditch the RE SSK for the auto solutions? Didn't know they made custom shifter assemblies until that, but it's actually not crazy priced.
    The standard 330 6sp is different from the ZHP 6sp just so you know. There's even less standard 330 6sp than the ZHP 6sp lol

Well the RE SSK did make the throws shorter, but because it's only a lever change, the throws now just feel a little more notchy and it's harder to throw into gear. It's been a couple of years so now I've got some shifter slop too so it feels horrible lol I have like a 2" movement while in gear wth. What I like about AutoSolutions is that they make everything from the lever to the selector rod and even the carrier. For cars that they normally make shifters for anyways. The feel on it is great and nice and precise. It's also the best reviewed SSK. AS only made the lever and the selector rod and the coupler normally for the standard 330 6sp. Ronald@AutoSolutions tells me that the carrier doesn't need to be changed at all. Mines custom because I forced him to make the carrier too lol He ended up making every part custom except for the coupler. I can't wait to get it installed.

I've seen the Euro shifter on other cars and the 330d one on the m3. I didn't like it on the M3 because the shifter in N isn't center (it was leaning to the left). Because of that, it was harder to throw it in 5th. I always seemed to catch the corner of the gate. The owner didn't even like it, so he bought the AS SSK lol

But yeah, just make sure that you are getting the ZHP 6sp and not the regular 330 6sp. Because I have the regular, and there were literally no SSK options. All the reviews of the SSKs are usually with the full kit (lever, selector rod, carrier) so keep that in mind.

Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Welcome, man ! GL on your project. The last time I had clutch problems was in 1995, a VW. My mechanic took care of it.
    Thank you! I'm going to practice a clutch install on the M3 GTR (S65 E46), so I'll be fluent when my time comes! Let me know if you guys want pictures of it! It's real and in Cali!

Quote Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
    The standard 330 6sp is different from the ZHP 6sp just so you know. There's even less standard 330 6sp than the ZHP 6sp lol

Well the RE SSK did make the throws shorter, but because it's only a lever change, the throws now just feel a little more notchy and it's harder to throw into gear. It's been a couple of years so now I've got some shifter slop too so it feels horrible lol I have like a 2" movement while in gear wth. What I like about AutoSolutions is that they make everything from the lever to the selector rod and even the carrier. For cars that they normally make shifters for anyways. The feel on it is great and nice and precise. It's also the best reviewed SSK. AS only made the lever and the selector rod and the coupler normally for the standard 330 6sp. Ronald@AutoSolutions tells me that the carrier doesn't need to be changed at all. Mines custom because I forced him to make the carrier too lol He ended up making every part custom except for the coupler. I can't wait to get it installed.

I've seen the Euro shifter on other cars and the 330d one on the m3. I didn't like it on the M3 because the shifter in N isn't center (it was leaning to the left). Because of that, it was harder to throw it in 5th. I always seemed to catch the corner of the gate. The owner didn't even like it, so he bought the AS SSK lol

But yeah, just make sure that you are getting the ZHP 6sp and not the regular 330 6sp. Because I have the regular, and there were literally no SSK options. All the reviews of the SSKs are usually with the full kit (lever, selector rod, carrier) so keep that in mind.
    I'm not sure I understand. How are they different, and do you have a link? I did some research and couldn't find anything definite. The only 6-Speed I could find on RealOEM is the GS6-37BZ and the ratios seem the same.
    Sorry to hear about your RE SSK. 2 year's doesn't seem like a proper shifter lifespan. I'll have to ask my buddy who will be working with me and see how easy it is to swap shifters. I'd like to try the euro shifter first since it's a cheaper option. I do recall seeing a SSK and the shifter was nearly sunken into the boot! Needs to be a tad higher. I'll be looking for a post from you to see your AS SSK! Since I'm an ammeter, I definitely can't have a shifter where neutral isn't in the center. I will also keep me eyes out for SSK's with more than just a lever.

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Welcome!
    Thank you!

Welcome to the fold.

Sent by the Pixel XL
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Welcome to the fold.

Sent by the Pixel XL
    Thanks for having me Dane!

Quote Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
    Thank you! I'm going to practice a clutch install on the M3 GTR (S65 E46), so I'll be fluent when my time comes! Let me know if you guys want pictures of it! It's real and in Cali!

I'm not sure I understand. How are they different, and do you have a link? I did some research and couldn't find anything definite. The only 6-Speed I could find on RealOEM is the GS6-37BZ and the ratios seem the same.
    Sorry to hear about your RE SSK. 2 year's doesn't seem like a proper shifter lifespan. I'll have to ask my buddy who will be working with me and see how easy it is to swap shifters. I'd like to try the euro shifter first since it's a cheaper option. I do recall seeing a SSK and the shifter was nearly sunken into the boot! Needs to be a tad higher. I'll be looking for a post from you to see your AS SSK! Since I'm an ammeter, I definitely can't have a shifter where neutral isn't in the center. I will also keep me eyes out for SSK's with more than just a lever.

Thank you!
    Yeah the ratios are the same. Hmm maybe it was the "xi" models that was slightly different. I know the ZHP already has shorter throws than the standard 330 6sp though. But there weren't any good SSK alternatives for the 330 6sp for awhile. Might be some now though since I last did my research like 2 years ago lol You don't really need the shift arm/carrier though if you're looking to save money. But I would at least recommend using a weighted selector rod or something because you would just end up with short throws that require a ton more effort. There are some SSKs where you can adjust height. I know if you go with AS you can contact him and tell him that you want it a certain height.

With the transmission out, swapping shifts is easy as pie. With everything installed, it becomes harder and more time consuming.

Maybe you can take my old RE SSK off my hands when I take it out lol It should be fine with some new bushings and a new cup. That's what I was going to do to refresh it, but since I'm basically going to have to uninstall it to do that, i'll just put in the new kit. Yeah I mean even as a novice, you should be fine with it off center. It's just you can't shift as fast. It just pisses me off every time I hit the corner of the gate lol It's like extra effort to push it around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast