Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 89 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Great progress as always, Peter.
    well, i wouldn't want to let you down, now would i!

thanks. i was getting kinda burned out on the project, but getting the engine and trans out is kind of like the mid point, and the exciting stuff is going to start happening. it's always nicer installing new and/or clean parts, then removing old crusty junk.

i just want to be done with it, and wring the snot out of it!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    well, i wouldn't want to let you down, now would i!

thanks. i was getting kinda burned out on the project, but getting the engine and trans out is kind of like the mid point, and the exciting stuff is going to start happening. it's always nicer installing new and/or clean parts, then removing old crusty junk.

Definitely. That midpoint can be a real bugger of just feeling like you're almost there but not quite. I love installing new parts though, makes it all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Definitely. That midpoint can be a real bugger of just feeling like you're almost there but not quite. I love installing new parts though, makes it all worth it.
    yeah. all new, clean, beautiful parts... the stuff dreams are made of.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    The best part of any car project
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Keep on it! Nice work brother.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Hey Peter.

What kind of rear main seal did you go with ? Is it a kit ?

Also are you replacing the plastic clutch pivot pin and the clutch salve cylinder?

Also did your kit come with the clutch allignment tool?

I got a clutch job to do as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vas; 11-26-2017 at 07:21 PM.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

got this stuff done (in italics) on friday night and saturday... the engine did not want to go in, it was weird - it was like putting a square peg in a round hole. had to drop the front subframe down all the way, and remove the A/C compressor bracket and idler pulley to get enough clearance. in hindsight i think my angle of approach may not have been level enough (it was tipped back too far), but it's in and sitting on the mounts now. i got the RMS in and torqued down to spec, and the flywheel is on.

my wife is going in for surgery today, so progress will be minimal this week, i imagine.

- clean engine bay
    - remove front suspension and steering rack from Touring front subframe
    - install new control arms, ZHP steering rack with new tie rod assemblies, and M3 engine mounts on Touring front subframe
    - install new steering coupler
    - install ZHP engine
    - install new rear main seal
    - install RTD 300mm shifter
    - clean up new rust on rear subframe
    - paint POR-15 (2 coats) on RACP area and rear subframe rust spots
    - spray rust-resistant paint on VinceBar stuff inside the car to cover seam sealer

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Hey Peter.

What kind of rear main seal did you go with ? Is it a kit ?

Also are you replacing the plastic clutch pivot pin and the clutch salve cylinder?

Also did your kit come with the clutch allignment tool?

I got a clutch job to do as well.
    hey vas! i bought an OEM RMS with install tool from the local dealer... i didn't get the housing, just the seal. i then removed it from the old housing on my bench, and installed the new seal - it was easy enough with a rubber hammer.

i replaced the plastic clutch pivot pin with an aluminum one (it was an OEM part i got from the dealer).

i did not replace the clutch slave, although i elected to just use the one from the Touring - i left it connected, and it is super clean, making me think it may have already been replaced. i haven't gone back through my records from the PO (he was the original owner) to see if it was or not, yet.

the valeo 835101 kit didn't come with a clutch alignment tool - which i thought was kinda of weird, as the kit is remarkably complete aside from that - it even has a new pilot bearing installed in the flywheel (i didn't know it did and i had bought one just in case). i bought one separately, i think from ECS or FCP.

PICS:

RTD shifter. a work of art. my only concern is the OEM rubber boot that is used to seal the shifter hole from the elements... i hacked it up to 'fit' as best as a i could, but it's not working well. i will need to spend some more time trying to figure out a solution here... clearly this is a more 'racecar' piece, so most people wouldn't even care about the rubber boot, but i do. also, this style of shifter does away with the shift fork entirely.

final paint on the VinceBar after seam sealer was applied (and dried). it's not pretty, but functional. and hey, it's going to be 100% hidden by carpet so it doesn't matter that i didn't color-match.

final paint on the front gusset cups. i still have to fab up a way to mount the two brackets that i had to remove here, that hold the lower seat back piece for the Touring. if you'll notice an extra hole on the gusset cups (inside edge, above the 2nd rivet), this was actually for a rivet but it's in the exact place of where the bracket spot weld was, so i added an extra rivet above and below, and left that hole for the seat bracket... so once i have the brackets ready i can just rivet them in place there. it will make a lot more sense once installed.

the next two pics are of the VinceSkinz after two coats of POR-15. man, this stuff is incredible! it says it actually adheres better to rusty surfaces than to smooth surfaces, but i did apply the POR-15 metal-prep fluid to all surfaces that i ground paint away from - it etches the surface and creates a zinc-phosphate coating that helps the POR-15 paint to adhere... especially on smooth surfaces. also, it's supposed to dry to a hard, enamel-like finish that won't chip/flake/scratch. i believe it - this stuff feels tough as nails to the touch when dry! i did the entire rear subframe as well, and a few spots under the rest of the car that were a bit rusty. curious to see how it holds up - but it should be a permanent, life-of-the-car solution. after all, this is the stuff they use on the salt trucks. i used a 2" wide foam brush, which i felt like was a good choice because i could 'dab' it on in the hard-to-reach or rusty areas, and it would fill in the gaps nicely.

trans ready, M3 mounts in, new steering coupler (had to cut the old one off... it came off in 3 pieces ), CDV deleted, new TRW ZHP control arms in, AKG FCABs in, new tie rod assemblies in, ZHP steering rack in... and i used almost an entire can of brake cleaner to clean up the steering rack! it was pretty oily from an old OFHG leak (was leaking when i bought the car). let's hope it stays this clean. i also took this opportunity to fix some heat shield fastener issues (where the heat shield had broken away around the fastener holding it), using a slightly-larger washer behind the fastener.

also, in hindsight i should have replaced the PS lines.... but that is purely cosmetic.

new RMS in, with a new gasket, and red RTV applied in the lower seam where the RMS housing, oil pan and block all meet. i also got the starter hooked up. flywheel is on now (not pictured), that was the last step i got to saturday night before being way too tired to keep going.

Last edited by slater; 11-27-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: typos
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Awesome work, Peterman! Thanks for sharing the progress pics.

That shifter is just as obnoxious as I hoped it would be. Perfect fit for the #radioflyer #racewagon

Surgery? Hope it goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 89 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast