Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 107 of 128 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1274
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    two reasons:

1. price
    2. availability (being in canada makes things more difficult when it comes to product choice)

it comes in varying thicknesseseses, but i chose the thickest i thought i could fit under the rear seat without having fitment issues.

i have a decent amount of experience in recording studios, so i know foam works well to absorb sound.
    Makes sense to me. And absolutely yes about foam’s sound absorption, just never thought of it being used in automotive. I used something similar to give my bass drum more punch, whereas snares and toms used something more similar to the butyl to cut down reverberations on the heads.

I wish it came in slightly larger sheets than 40x60, but I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Makes sense to me. And absolutely yes about foam’s sound absorption, just never thought of it being used in automotive. I used something similar to give my bass drum more punch, whereas snares and toms used something more similar to the butyl to cut down reverberations on the heads.

I wish it came in slightly larger sheets than 40x60, but I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.
    wait - you play drums? did not know!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

wait - you play drums? did not know!
    Yep! Well, I haven’t in quite some time, but I THINK I can still dabble lol. I have a decent electric kit now, but I just haven’t made the time to play in what feels like years. I had a beautiful maple kit from a custom drum maker in Ohio, but sold them for the electric drums because (a) the noise literally scared the pee out of the dogs, and (b) living in apartments isn’t acoustic drum-friendly.

I grew up playing saxophone and guitar, but drums are the only instrument I have retained any real ability to play. Vox makes a small tube amp I plan to buy this year and pick the guitar back up. Fingers crossed...

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Yep! Well, I haven’t in quite some time, but I THINK I can still dabble lol. I have a decent electric kit now, but I just haven’t made the time to play in what feels like years. I had a beautiful maple kit from a custom drum maker in Ohio, but sold them for the electric drums because (a) the noise literally scared the pee out of the dogs, and (b) living in apartments isn’t acoustic drum-friendly.
    i can appreciate that - we bought an electric kit a few years ago (yamaha DTX520K). i really wanted an acoustic kit but the noise aspect was crucial as if i wanted to play at night, i obviously didn't want to wake the kids. side benefits are running music in through the AUX input so you can play along with stuff, and direct-out for recording has been handy for sure. my son plays too and he is really good.

i do find that with the electric kit, i'm less inspired to play than with an acoustic kit. so someday, when i have the right place to put one (soundproofed room in the basement kinda-thing), i will get one.

I grew up playing saxophone and guitar, but drums are the only instrument I have retained any real ability to play. Vox makes a small tube amp I plan to buy this year and pick the guitar back up. Fingers crossed...
    awesome. tube amps or bust! i regret selling the handmade budda superdrive 80-II that i had years ago, but it was an 80w head that i ran through a custom 2x12 cab, as well as marshall JCM900 4x12 cabs when i was doing the band thing... and it was just way too loud for apartment life. the TONE, though!! oh man, it could do everything, and the sensitivity was incredible. now i've got a bogner alchemist 1x12 20/40w tube combo that is pretty decent... i'm not 100% happy with the tone but it's better than most modern tube amps i've played. i should get back into a budda superdrive 18 1x12 combo...

anyway. i love gear. i don't play guitar as much as i would like to, but i do play regularly at church... i'm allowed a lot of leeway there, and encouraged to provide all sorts of cool ambient textures and high gain craziness. which is totally my jam!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

side benefits are running music in through the AUX input so you can play along with stuff.
    I attribute my poor hearing to playing along with music via headphones. You really have to crank it in order to hear over an acoustic set, especially one with shells as loud as mine.

awesome. tube amps or bust! i regret selling the handmade budda superdrive 80-II that i had years ago, but it was an 80w head that i ran through a custom 2x12 cab, as well as marshall JCM900 4x12 cabs when i was doing the band thing... and it was just way too loud for apartment life. the TONE, though!! oh man, it could do everything, and the sensitivity was incredible. now i've got a bogner alchemist 1x12 20/40w tube combo that is pretty decent... i'm not 100% happy with the tone but it's better than most modern tube amps i've played. i should get back into a budda superdrive 18 1x12 combo...
    Oh man, JCM900 is a blast from my high school days. I was on the fence between a Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier and Marshall 50w JCM900 half stack before ultimately making the switch to drums instead. Now I’m looking at just a small, 5-15w tube combo for the house. Vox, Orange, and Fender all make an amp which would fit that requirement, I just need to hear them all. I’ll probably go Orange or Vox, and swap over to soapbar pickups when I restore my Strat. One day...one day I’ll own a Paul Reed Smith...one day.

anyway. i love gear. i don't play guitar as much as i would like to, but i do play regularly at church... i'm allowed a lot of leeway there, and encouraged to provide all sorts of cool ambient textures and high gain craziness. which is totally my jam!
    I used to be a total gear junky too, and that’s awesome to have that leeway. Sorry for the musical threadjack

Ordered some cheap sound deadening insulation off amazon and installed last night under the rear seat bottom, as the factory stuff crumbled to bits when I had it apart for the overhaul.

It came as a big sheet, and I just cut this piece as large as I could without impacting seat bottom fitment. Did 3hrs on the highway this morning, and it’s remarkably quieter! Amazing for $20. it's mostly foam, about 10mm thick. adhesive on one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s amazing how much noise come “thru” the back seat. Even the seat cushion helps a lot... I test drove my car after replacing the fuel pump without the seat in—so loud. I replaced my crumbling OE dampener with RAAMat (comes in two layers). I’ve read good reviews on FatMat too.

Oh man, JCM900 is a blast from my high school days. I was on the fence between a Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier and Marshall 50w JCM900 half stack before ultimately making the switch to drums instead. Now I’m looking at just a small, 5-15w tube combo for the house. Vox, Orange, and Fender all make an amp which would fit that requirement, I just need to hear them all. I’ll probably go Orange or Vox, and swap over to soapbar pickups when I restore my Strat. One day...one day I’ll own a Paul Reed Smith...one day.

I used to be a total gear junky too, and that’s awesome to have that leeway. Sorry for the musical threadjack
    LOL, no worries man! musical threadjacks are OK in this thread.

a small tube amp like that will be perfect for home use. because you can crank it and not break windows. (and cranked is where they sound the best. )

i owned a PRS about 20 years ago. i was fortunate enough to get a steal on one - i knew a guy growing up who was basically the #1 wooden bird carver in the world... and if you know PRS, you know that they had inlays of birds in the neck on some models. well, since this bird carver guy was pretty darn arrogant (and also a huge guitar enthusiast), he contacted PRS and told them their bird inlays were not anatomically correct, and offered to 'fix the glitch' (can you believe that?)... anyway, PRS accepted the offer and the arrogant guy ended up making 10 one-off guitars with PRS with giant eagle faces or something carved into the back of the body, behind the bridge. so weird. they sold for like $40K each. anyway, because of his partnership with PRS - and because i knew the guy - i was able to get a PRS custom 22 for almost half price (so, like $1200 i think - this was back in 1998).

i had the guitar for about a year or so, played out with it, recorded with it... and while it kicked butt, it was just missing something - it was too, i dunno, sterile. so i was in a local boutique guitar shop in burlington, VT one day and they had a guild nightbird hanging up. i loved the design and style, and after playing it... i knew that was the one. so i made a deal on trading in the PRS towards it. i think the guild was tagged at $1600. it's 1/50, hand-made, has tone chambers inside, etc. i immediately replaced the pickups - duncan '59 in the neck position and a PRS 'HFS' in the bridge. that PRS HFS is thick and smooth. i love it. anyway, the guitar just has feel to it that i've never experienced elsewhere... and i've had it for 19 years now! crazy. it's been through a lot and has taken serious abuse. and still sounds killer.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    It’s amazing how much noise come “thru” the back seat. Even the seat cushion helps a lot... I test drove my car after replacing the fuel pump without the seat in—so loud. I replaced my crumbling OE dampener with RAAMat (comes in two layers). I’ve read good reviews on FatMat too.
    thanks for posting, shawn - you posted about that a while back after you did this, and that's what i remembered when i was cleaning up all of the crumbling insulation in my car... thanks for the inspiration!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

ooh, forgot to post a car update.

odometer update: 232K KMs. just did a 13hr road trip over the weekend with it, it was awesome. 6K KM on this oil change, and since the car was completed; at 8K i will drain and refill with some of trevor's special lubrimoly ceramic business.

also, i just can't seem to get warm to the OEM euro clear lights and BMW Performance grilles, so i removed them and went back to ambers and chrome grilles. loving it.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

The bird inlays are half of what make a PRS so beautiful. And I get what you mean about sounding sterile—the solid body models are almost too perfect. I want a Hollowbody II in McCarty Sunburst. But they’re stupid expensive. And that Guild sounds amazing.

Re: your car—funny enough I was about to tell you how good I thought it looked with the black grilles...

The bird inlays are half of what make a PRS so beautiful. And I get what you mean about sounding sterile—the solid body models are almost too perfect. I want a Hollowbody II in McCarty Sunburst. But they’re stupid expensive. And that Guild sounds amazing.
    ahh, hollowbody! didn't know they made those. yes please!

Re: your car—funny enough I was about to tell you how good I thought it looked with the black grilles...
    ha. well... i DO like black grilles, but i feel like on the red... the chrome looks better. it's weird. i love the gloss black shadowline on the doors, etc - but on the nose of the car... the black grilles just dominate and i don't feel like it's balanced enough. somehow, on red, with the chrome grilles and amber corners, it just looks 'right' to me - more balanced. on other colors the black grilles and euro clear corners look perfect.

red is weird.

but i like the amber... i'd run ambers on any shade of silver/gray/black too, and estoril!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 107 of 128 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast