Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 82 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    More info on those parts, please.
    Which parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

yesterday was halloween, or Martin Luther Day around our house, where we watch a family movie and eat way too much junk/candy together. so i didn't get much work done at all - only had about 30min - but i got the trans separated from the engine, and decided to take a little video to demonstrate DMF wear.

so here ya go. this is the initial inspection - i'll do another today after i remove the PP/clutch/DMF and get it on the engine stand.

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Yikes! I wonder what mine looks like.... I haven't been easy on my car in the 100k+ miles I've owned it...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Yikes! I wonder what mine looks like.... I haven't been easy on my car in the 100k+ miles I've owned it...
    ha! me either, i've put 85K KMs on it since i bought it (roughly ~53K miles).

i got the PP and clutch removed yesterday, along with assembling my new engine stand and realizing that i needed some long and strong M12x1.75 bolts to fasten the engine to the stand - which means a 35min drive each way to pick some up either today or tomorrow - bollocks.

interesting notes: the bolts that secure the PP to the flywheel are REALLY soft - one rounded out without my effort, and i had to cut it off with my grinder. oh well, it's all going in the trash anyway. clutch had decent meat left - for 3 owners and 261K KMs, that's good. happy with that. the flywheel was as expected... no real hot spots (i'm not a clutch-dumper), but the axial play was surprising... i've never examined a DMF up close before. here's a brief video after the clutch and PP were removed...

i pulled a few more little bits off the ZHP last night, and today the doors, gloss black shadowline trim, master cylinder and brake booster, and trunk are getting pulled. the shell is scheduled to be picked up tomorrow afternoon! progress!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Nice updates. The amount of play there is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    Which parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So...I just thought that membrane was for the VANOS and was very confused, instead of just reading the packaging. Ignore me.

Nice updates. The amount of play there is pretty impressive.
    yeah, considering it shouldn't have any. i'll post another video, or pic, with the new SMF on there. also going to clean the engine (not ridiculously clean, i don't see a point... but just get most of the grime off), fully remove the old CCV and install the G.A.S. CCV finally, replace the oil pan gasket, clean the IACV, replace the A/C belt tensioner pulley, and rear main seal (mine is weeping slightly... which could be from too much vacuum introduced to the crankcase from my catch can setup - as gary @ G.A.S. theorized). i might as well replace the OFHG (which is only 2-3 years old) with the viton one from bavauto. all of that stuff is WAY easier on an engine stand (except the RMS) than in the car, so.... yep.

still deciding whether i will end up putting the ZHP rack into the Touring or not... i like the ZHP rack in the twisties, but the stock Touring rack is so much calmer on straight roads, like highways. hmmm.

also, ordered a new set of TRW ZHP front control arms today. i used one on a friend's car last spring and was impressed with the quality - especially for only $111USD/each at FCP!

So...I just thought that membrane was for the VANOS and was very confused, instead of just reading the packaging. Ignore me.

done.

er....whoops.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Keep the ZHP rack.

Absolutely no question. ZHP rack all day long.

Not really sure what you mean by calmer. The ZHP rack still feels perfectly relaxed on the highway. The twitchiness is usually caused by tires.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Absolutely no question. ZHP rack all day long.

Not really sure what you mean by calmer. The ZHP rack still feels perfectly relaxed on the highway. The twitchiness is usually caused by tires.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    my alignment specs likely have more to do with it than the tires, because my black Touring had a ZHP rack and it was twitchy also. you have to remember that i am bouncing between cars, so i notice the changes... if i was driving the ZHP and nothing else it wouldn't seem weird to me. on the ZHP, i was running -1.5º camber up front, and -0.8º in the rear. once the Touring is complete, i will likely run -1.0º up front and -1.2º in the back. it was a little too tail happy for me before... especially with my driving style. those camber specs should be a happy medium between stock and what i ran before.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

ZHP shell went bye-bye today. picking up 100mm M12x1.75 class 12.9 bolts this afternoon so i can get the M54B30 onto the engine stand. going to get get as much prep work done ahead of time before taking the Touring off the road - even though i have a lot of work ahead of me once the Touring swap is underway as i have the install the VinceBar and VinceSkinz - and that is a lot of cutting, drilling, test fitting, epoxying, etc - also, i've never done it before, so i will be going quite slowly.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 82 of 128 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast