Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would tackle new shocks first. If you're still on factory shocks it's time. As suggested above Koni FSD or Sports set fairly soft is simple solution. If that doesn't improve ride enough then higher sidewall wheels/tires. But wheels with an uncomplient suspension won't solve a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Quote Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
    I would tackle new shocks first. If you're still on factory shocks it's time. As suggested above Koni FSD or Sports set fairly soft is simple solution. If that doesn't improve ride enough then higher sidewall wheels/tires. But wheels with an uncomplient suspension won't solve a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This. Chasing wheels and tires will be fruitless without a properly set up suspension. This is why the new BMWs can be so comfortable despite having 19" and 20" tires.

Perfect example. When I had my H&R Race springs with Bilstein Sport shocks, my car was almost unbearably stiff, and kept fearing my wheels are bending when I went over the many "speed bumps" we have on our crappy roads, as it always made a loud thud. Now that I have my Bilstein PSS10 coil overs, it is a LOT more comfortable despite using the same wheels and tires. Now, those same bumps don't sound like a hammer hitting my car, but instead like someone lightly tapping their fist on the car.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Holy smoke !
    I had a feeling this was the place to ask for information.
    It usually takes 2 weeks to get 12 replies on Bimmerforums Lol !!

Yes I am in Montréal. The ZHP is sleeping for the next 6 months.
    Thank you for the welcome. I will put some info this week in the new member introduction section.

I must say that I was trying to keep this car stock. I guess this plan just got ditched.
    Come to think of it the OEM suspension is built to operate on the silky smooth Autobahn.
    Not the 3rd world roads we have here...

The more I think of it, the MCS double adjustable on my E36 M3 race car is not as harsh even with 900# springs.
    On the softer setting it is very very firm but not harsh. And the DOT BFGoodrich R1s have a very stiff sidewall.

I still think the tire choice will make a difference but I will start with the suspension with the old tires to compare and see what tires make sense.
    Could the SFD make such a difference that I could go with the PSS :-)
    This is exciting. I will definitely keep you guys posted but you will have to be patient while the car sleeps.

Thanks and keep sharing your experience.

If you're saying your E36 M3 with 900# springs isn't as harsh, something is seriously wrong with your E46's suspension. Perhaps you just need to replace it with new factory replacements and it'll be fine!

My car is stiffer than factory suspension but is still comfortable. I've never heard someone say the stock suspension wasn't comfortable, so I'm guessing you're just in need of a suspension refresh.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I have stock springs with Koni FSDs on stock ZHP wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3s on my ZHP and it rides smoother than my 325xi with 16 inch wheels, Goodyear RSA tires (came with car) and fresh Bilstein Touring shocks (stock springs as well).

Honestly, the FSDs are incredible for ride and handling. The tires can make a difference, but not nearly as drastic as shocks/struts.

BMW CCA # 510252

I have FSDs as well in my ZHP with stock springs, wheels, and tires. Great setup!!!

Frank W.

Present
    2003 BMW 530iA Saphirschwarz Metallic

Past
    2006 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Silbergrau Metallic
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i ///M-Sport Mineralgrau Metallic
    2011 BMW 328i 6MT ///M-Sport Alpenweiss
    1999 BMW ///M Roadster Estorilblau Metallic

plus an assortment of VW, Honda, Mazda, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, and others over the years

Agreed with everyone else. Suspension refresh is a good idea if the shocks/struts in the car are original, or exceed 50k miles since they've been replaced. There are tons of options, several here with Koni FSDs or Sports on stock springs (I have Sports and love them). I have a thread here that I used to crowd source a good suspension refresh I did about a year or two ago that has part numbers and other useful info:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    +1 for the Koni FSD and stock springs. I have them on my ZHP w/ 17" Style 68s; comfortable ride and very responsive.

5/2003 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP
    - Sedan :: 6MT :: Style 68 -
    h&r | drvanos | koni | active autowerke | vibrant | akg | turner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12