Quote Originally Posted by Galapolis View Post
I once used two spare jacks to raise the rear of my car to install a rear sway bar. About a minute after I was done and got out of under the car the road (yes the road) collapsed and the car tipped over off one of the jacks. Luckily I had my rear tire under the side skirt. Always good to remind yourself of the dangers our hobby entails.
I think this is a good reminder for all to assess the surface underneath the jack and jack stands.

Asphalt is a relatively soft material that will deform and separate, especially if the feet of the jack stands are are basically sheet metal edges. Some stands have flat feet, which I think are better for spreading the load onto the surface. Also, concrete > asphalt.

Just as important is to assess the slope of the ground. Some driveways are more sloped than others, and depending on the direction of the slope your car can be tilting longitudinally or laterally. Cars can end up precariously perched while on jack stands on sloped ground.

Quickjacks keep looking better and better, especially for the price. I think it's about the same as my AC hydraulic jack and 4 Esco's. Had I known back then I would have just got a Quickjack.

I still use 2 wide wheels (busted wheels that I just keep around for this purpose) in addition to the Esco jack stands and the unloaded jack when I get underneath. I recall reading the initial post in this thread, scary stuff and tragic. It changed my perspective and practice.

- Don't forget wheel chocks if only using 2 jack stands.

Stay safe everyone.