Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    I used them for the oil change. Jacked the front and lowered on to the ramps.

Please take a moment to read this (regarding Christian Richard Klorczyk)

Mostly use jack stands but I sometimes use ramps--just drive right onto them.
    Last edited by ELCID86; 07-09-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Bump

Sent from my S8+
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Another bump with how I support the back half of the car.

Weight is on 2 jack stands. High quality ones for $45 a pop, already forgot the brand. Tripod shape.

Then two additional jack stands under the rear trailing arms to catch them if one of the stands fail.

Floor jack under jacking point, incase it drops.

Wheels under brake rotors to catch those in case it drops.

Can't always work on parts with all points of safety in place, but every bit helps.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Helps if I add the photo...

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Look at that beautiful California car!

Wow this is so sad to read. I know it’s old, but I just went through the thread. My heart goes out to the entire family. Makes me want to change out my ratcheting jackstands now. ☹️

I once used two spare jacks to raise the rear of my car to install a rear sway bar. About a minute after I was done and got out of under the car the road (yes the road) collapsed and the car tipped over off one of the jacks. Luckily I had my rear tire under the side skirt. Always good to remind yourself of the dangers our hobby entails.
    330i Base | Mysticblau | Slicktop | 6MT

As stated years ago, I still think of this thread when working under my car. Honestly the main reason why I eventually purchased the QuickJack.

https://youtu.be/uqpxNjW90PU
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I'm glad this was brought up again.

I use 3-ton jackstands, I put the wheels behind the jackstands typically. I don't see how putting wheels under the rotors helps. They will be in the way, and in the event of a collapse the suspension will still compress quite a bit (the suspension becomes decompressed when the car is raised). I also leave the floor jack in place (if possible, and unloaded), and before going underneath I ferociously shove the car at different angles (who knows what torque I'll be exerting when working), and kick the jackstands (I should add bashing the quick releases, they should be glued in place).

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast