Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboom View Post
    If any of you have craftsman aluminum hydraulic jacks, junk them. They have a long history of snapping.

Ian
    People shouldn't go scrapping their jacks because of this. If it jacks the car up, it's fine. The jack shouldn't be used to support the car anyway so I don't see how this is relevant.

Sent from my DROIDX
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Because several people have been injured in the process of jacking the car up when the lift arm *snaps* and the car falls immediately. This is not a typical hydraulic failure, and only applies to craftsman aluminum racing jacks pre 2010. Yes, they should be scrapped.

Ian

Very sobering to read. For the last few years, I have had to work out in the garage alone.

Car is always supported by two 3t and/or two 3.5t craftsman/craftsman pro jack stands. I use chocks when front or rears are off the ground. I use the 3t hydraulic floor jack as a secondary safety. I don't always put the wheels back under the car, but may start.

I also haven't changed the oil in my jack. May be my next project.

Will be considering additional safeties.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    People shouldn't go scrapping their jacks because of this. If it jacks the car up, it's fine. The jack shouldn't be used to support the car anyway so I don't see how this is relevant.

Sent from my DROIDX
    This is relevant from the perspective that we all take a moment to:

1. Think about his family and send good vibes their way (however you do this)
    2. Closely evaluate, assess, and address, how we do maintenance on our cars.
    3. Take a moment to think the maintenance evolution through, prior to climbing under your car. He had it jacked up, and had the tire under the rotor, but the tire width was ~3.5" narrower than the breadth of his chest (i.e. the tires would do nothing until his chest was compressed 3.5 inches).
    Last edited by danewilson77; 03-30-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks to his father for the original post...to the OP for posting this for the familia...

I didn't say it before... but thoughts go out to the family...

Thanks for the perspectives DW...

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Just wanted to add to everyone that as a father this saddened me greatly and it was another fathers wish to spread the link.Please forward it to all you may know that could benefit from it.Also I left the email contact at the end of link in case anyone wanted to personally contact Christians father directly. This is such a great board with such good karma thanks for allowing me to be a part of it . Johnny

RIP Christian and Best Wishes to those he left behind.

Getting the car up the is the most nerve racking part of any of my DIYs. And I Hate getting under the car, I'm nervous the whole time. But now I don't feel so dorky for my over-the-top jack stand usage. This setup was used for my recent brake job, I take even more precautions when I'm under the car.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Ryan, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I like your strategy.

Ryan thats a lot of stands, I like your saftey strategy! Just an FYI, don't trust those bottle jacks too too much...they can be dangerous if used the slightest bit wrong.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post
    Ryan, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I like your strategy.
    +1.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast