Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Is the power for the glovebox flashlight a switched outlet?

I'm looking for switched power (turns off when you turn the key off) for my cigarette lighter bluetooth adapter. I'd rather not jump the fuses as some have done.

There's a BMW Auxiliary Power Adapter that plugs in where the flashlight goes, and it provides another socket. They used to be $10, but now that they are no longer available, they sell for $150-200. So I made my own similar to this: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...l-adapter.html

The only problem is, what I understood was switched power is not. This defeats the purpose of me making my own adapter.

Is it supposed to be switched?

Thanks,

Paul

Yes. It is not a constant ON circuit. Turns off when you shut down and switches on when the door is unlocked or opened.

What I did to add an extra power socket for my "hidden away" car charger was to just buy a cigarette lighter power socket from Pepboys and splice it in to the existing cigarette lighter socket's wires. Then I ran it down underneath my center console and it now rests next to where my parking brake is, out of sight. The total cost was super low, way less than $20 if I remember correctly.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    Yes. It is not a constant ON circuit. Turns off when you shut down and switches on when the door is unlocked or opened.
    For some reason, mine is. I tried it key on, key off, key out, doesn't make a difference. It's always powered. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Looking at my Bentley manual, the Hand Lamp is on fuse 52, 30A, which also controls the glove compartment light and other items. It appears to be not switched.

I may have to jump a fuse for the lighter to make it switched.

Nuts.