Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice on buying an e53?

I looked at a 2002 e53 5MT today. Looks really good and decently priced. I'm gonna get a PPI at the dealership (bc my Indy sucks) next week. Is there anything I should look for specifically that the dealer might not look for, or something I should ask them to check.

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/5886576436.html

-It is a second owner, had for 6 months. He says he bought it for his wife but she didn't like the MT so he bought her an 06 AT.
    -No service records
    -I haven't checked the carfax, I was gonna see if someone had access to do it for free
    -clutch felt good, dropped in real quick when I let out fast, even clunked if I dropped it to fast. But felt good when I eased. Basically felt like there was no sort of CDV

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Sockethead and TFG used to have one. GL on your decision.

E53 2002 X5 Manual

-clutch felt good, dropped in real quick when I let out fast, even clunked if I dropped it to fast. But felt good when I eased. Basically felt like there was no sort of CDV

Thoughts?

I haven't owned one but looked into it. X5 w/manual transmissions are pretty rare and came only on the 3.0 M54 engine. X5 shares engine and some electronics with E39 & E46, but also hear that the most of the rest of the drive-train was borrowed from Land Rover which BMW owned at the time. There seem to be plenty of older X5's around, so durability seems okay, but an '02 is a little close to the model launch ('01 Model year?), and X5 owners (auto & manual)don't seem to be raving about them like the E46 and E39 crowd - though I am not in any X5 groups. In 2005 and 2006, The X5 manual used a 6-speed which is regarded as an upgrade in drive-ability.

My personal opinion, I don't understand buying an X5 with a manual trans. I thinking the owner's wife had it correct. IMO, MTs are for smaller, sportier vehicles.

They are awesome! Pm me the vin I'll see about the carfax

Advice on buying an e53?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
    My personal opinion, I don't understand buying an X5 with a manual trans. I thinking the owner's wife had it correct. IMO, MTs are for smaller, sportier vehicles.
    In a sense I share your opinion. I would never buy certain SUVs or trucks in a MT. Small trucks I almost always go MT. With an X5 I feel like I lean towards the AT. But I just love driving an MT and the e53 are known for bad AT (i have heard). Especially buying a >100k vehicle that most people don't keep records like fluid changes for and you might screw the whole thing by changing it in an AT.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerteknik View Post
    They are awesome! Pm me the vin I'll see about the carfax

Thanks. I sent you a pm.

I had one about 6 years ago - traded it just before it needed a new clutch. Overall, similar to the ZHP in terms of parts and maintenance (newest ones are at least 10 years old).

Fun to drive, and might as well row your own if you have to go with a SUV - obviously quite a bit larger/heavier than the 330 - very nice nonetheless.

Doesn't look like that one has anything special (sport package, NAV, heated rear seats), but it's not missing anything either (the early base spec ones still had manual climate control)
    2006 330Cic | Monaco Blue on Natural Brown | 6MT ZHP ZPP ZCP NAVI

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagn View Post

Doesn't look like that one has anything special (sport package, NAV, heated rear seats), but it's not missing anything either (the early base spec ones still had manual climate control)
    No, definitely not anything special about it. I wish it had the sports package(along with the wheels) and pano sunroof, but it's not a deal breaker. Being as clean as it is and a MT really adds a lot.

We had a 2005 E53 4.8is. Incredibly awesome vehicle but the maintenance costs were insane! after 20k in repairs, we sold it.
    Plan on maintaining everything that goes wrong on an e46 and then some.... cooling system & expansion tank, front bushings (same type of fluid filled bushings that are on the e46 just in a different location), window regulators, motor mounts, subframe mounts, CV joints, fuel pump, etc.
    The latch on the back window will go, that's about $250, Ignition switches are prone to failure. There is a gear in the transfer case that goes... when that happens, you have to replace the whole transfer case. You have a 3.0L manual so you'll avoid the failing auto transmission and leaking valve seals, leaking Alternator bracket (yes there is oil going through the alternator bracket) and the leaking coolant tube under the manifold among other issues that the V8 auto have... and you won't have to deal with the crappy air bag suspension either but you'll have the same issues the E46s have: leaking valve cover, leaking OFHG, VANOS, DISA, CCV, etc.
    Check the wear on the back tires. If they are worn on the inner edge, it needs upper ball joints... not an easy or inexpensive job.

On the other hand, If it's been well maintained and some of the issues that I mentioned have been addressed then you might want to take a chance. The big plus is that it has the 3.0L and the manual...

I'd recommend hanging out on the e53 section of Xoutpost.com. Thee are a good group of people over there and the posts will give you an idea of what you're in for.

I know the e53 pretty well so feel free to contact me with any questions...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

I've seen many with huge negative camber on the rear, including some that look like they would barely get any traction. Is that the upper ball joint issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast