Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Power Window Click Noise

I really hope this isn't really bad news, but I engaged the automatic window roll down this morning on my way into the parking garage at work. There was a click as the window was about halfway down and it stopped rolling down. I panicked and heard all the horror stories in my head about the power window motor burning out in the E46.

However, I pulled into my parking spot and then hit the button again and got the window to go back up again with no problem. Do I need to be concerned or was it just a glitch?

Sounds like the regulator is starting to go. There's a DIY available for it. Common failure item.

Link here which also contains a link to the zip tie fix.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Start ordering your window regulator NOW, cause that ish is gonna fail on you ANY day now.

www.getbmwparts.com
    or
    www.autohausaz.com (this place is probably your cheapest out there)

I use autohausaz.com, but I am a little biased as they are based out of here in Phoenix and shipping is next day no matter what I do. Plus they really are DIRT CHEAP OEM parts.

I really have no idea what I am doing

I wouldn't use that window again until you are ready to fix it.

saw them on www.carparts.com too, which is a sponser. They were 50-60 bucks each. Make sure to use the link from the advertisers page.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Mine wouldn't go down one morning a few months back and next time I drove it it was fine and hasn't happened since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman View Post
    saw them on www.carparts.com too, which is a sponser. They were 50-60 bucks each. Make sure to use the link from the advertisers page.
    Ahhh didn't know we had a sponsor on here who sold these. Good deal then! Upvote for a sponsor deal

I really have no idea what I am doing

Yup. They will NOT be OEM, but the OEM ones dont hold up, so why not try a cheap replacement? Personally, I would on an item like this. Would NOT if it was a water pump, or other crucial element.

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Clips or Regulator

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    I really hope this isn't really bad news, but I engaged the automatic window roll down this morning on my way into the parking garage at work. There was a click as the window was about halfway down and it stopped rolling down. I panicked and heard all the horror stories in my head about the power window motor burning out in the E46.

However, I pulled into my parking spot and then hit the button again and got the window to go back up again with no problem. Do I need to be concerned or was it just a glitch?

I am a little, well I will be honest, a lot nervous about tearing my door apart. I talked to a local import garage and they said if the clips are bad they could repair it for around $100. If the regulator itself is bad it would be upwards of $200-300. Would it be worth it to just get the regulator fixed and not worry about it in the future?

For 300 bucks???? damn. I wouldnt. The door dissasembly is easy. You can buy a whole new regulator, oem, for 100 bucks. I give the process a 2/10 difficulty scale. Ive done it many times. I have a write up in the diy section.....keith linked to it for the zip tie fix above. That would walk you through replacing the regulator too. But, each his own. If it scares you that much, then maybe the mechanic is the way to go.

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast