Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M3 mirror and ZHP Ribbon cable mirror questions

so i got a set of 2002 M3 mirrors of a parts car and got them disassembled and the base plate and cup sent off to the painters to get painted black and imola red.

my car is a 2003 and has ribbon cables and i have already removed the mirrors from my car for base plate fitment and just let them off for now.

my car does not have heated mirrors or power folding. they only move up down left right for adjustment purposes and the passenger side mirror tilts when going into reverse but other than that, no other extras.

the M3 mirrors has 2 wires going directly to the back of the mirror itself which i assume was a heated mirror which i dont care for or will use.

it seems so silly that I have to swap whole motors just to retain ribbon cables and then make new base plates?

is there no way to just keep the m3 motors with its own plugs and wire them up wire by wire to the harness in my door which is wired to the mirror control switch?

is it impossible? its just electrical signals, i dont see why you cant rewire and match up wires from the m3 motors to the ZHP door harness/mirror switch.

was there ever a year of E46 m3 mirrors that also came with ribbon cables? or was that only sedan and only after 2003 in sedans? i seem to only see reference to ribbon cables when people are working with post 2003 sedans.

I don't think there's a way to avoid swapping to the ribbon motors.

Also - no heated mirrors? I'm pretty sure those were standard here in the U.S., at least on our level of trim. Kind of like how H/K was standard on all ZHP's, something like that.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Cadeez View Post
    ive read that along with several other articles but it just seems really silly to say "well these wires and colors dont match up so i guess ill just swap over the whole ribbon cable motor and fab up new base plates out of plastic"

the Sedan vehicle mirror harness plugs are still normal wire plugs and are not ribbon cables so thats that.

he did awesome work but no where I have read online says why you can not rewire it they simply say you must transfer over the motors if you have ribbon cable motors.

no one says if its because of some type of incompatibility, a wiring issue, BUS system issue.. .nothing.. just that you have to do it.

I've started looking at the WDS wiring for Sedan outside mirror wiring and will attempt to match up signal wires with the M3 mirrors and use a multimeter to see if i can match up signal wires between the Sedan vehicle mirror plug harness and the M3 mirror motor harness.

if its just wiring it should work, if its a BUS incompatibility issue then I should be able to get the BUS or module from the M3 since i still have it as a parts car and see if that works or at the worse then it just doesn't work and i'm stuck doing the ribbon motor transfer method.

The issue i have with the link you included is that it doesn't show you exactly how to make the base plate such as specs, size dimensions. it just shows cutting some holes out of a dewalt box and hacking off some pieces and JB Welding nuts etc... so there is still some guess work in there which leaves a lot of room for error or interpretation and I want it to be perfect the first time and not havit to open it all back up later to fix something else.

If you can pull off the wiring it would be amazing. Would take the scariness out of the mod for most unless you have a sedan which needed modified base plates but that wasn't too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if it is possible, it's not even worth the effort. It's much easier and faster to just swap the motors and call it a day. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'm not sure how or why your car would be different, but my body harness connector still uses ribbon cables on the other end.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Even if it is possible, it's not even worth the effort. It's much easier and faster to just swap the motors and call it a day. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'm not sure how or why your car would be different, but my body harness connector still uses ribbon cables on the other end.
    i dont think swapping motors is "easier" or "faster" especially since you have to make new base plates out of plastic thick plastic thathas to be a certain thickness and not everyone has a dewalt case lying around to cut up and agin there are no measurements to go by in the DIY either, its just "cut some new baseplates up oh look i found a dewalt case that was perfect"

the ribbon cables coming FROM the sedan mirror motors terminate in standard plugs and then they plug into the door wiring harness that has standard wiring and connectors.

Here is a pic of the 2 plugs in my door. these are what the ribbon motor harness connect to and they meet up with the switch.

Name:  IMG_20161208_214356.jpg
Views: 6705
Size:  1.10 MB

And here is the E46 m3 mirror motor plug .the brown and black are the heating element wires.

Name:  IMG_20161208_214433.jpg
Views: 5104
Size:  2.90 MB

i dont see why looking up the wires in the WDS cant give you proper signal.. i could most definitely be proved wrong and i'm ok with that but i refuse to believe with out proof that the only way to do this is swapping ribbon motors and making new DIY base plates that require some guesswork. i'm not trying to be condescending or rude but i havent seen anywhere that says it can not be done so i figured now is a good opportunity to at least try right?

By all means, go for it man. If there's another way to skin this cat then I'm sure all of us would be interested in knowing it. Keep us posted on your results
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

OP, I am sure there are ways to connect the non-ribbon cables to your car. You will just have to look this up on WDS and do it since I don't think anybody has done this before (atleast not documented on any forum). I would be very curious to know if you figure it out because I do not like the ribbon cable mirrors due to the cable being too flimsy and prone to damage. Good luck!
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Yep! go for it! I'd love to be able to use the M3 motors. I you can figure it out, that would save a lot of work.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast