Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reasoned1 View Post
    3.46 is what I was thinking since the car is for thrills not long hauls.

I would love to hear more about your upgrade.

Just noticed you're in Arlington, VA--my son lives in Arlington, and he facilitated the purchase of my ZHP at Avazi Auto Group in Gaithersburg, MD.
    It definitely has been a good upgrade. Slater was right when he talks about it making a difference in the winter. That is where I REALLY noticed it. I have only driven this car through two of them and our Virginia winters aren't really that bad. We got our fair share of the white stuff. The first I had Blizzaks and the open stock diff. Car handled great but I found the car pulling in one direction a lot of times which was annoying. Second I had the Blizzaks again with the LSD, not only was it more fun, but I noticed that when pulling away or if I got stuck, having BOTH wheels pushing me forward made it a LOT easier to control. I drove around in DC the day after our big blizzard and despite plowing a few streets with my front bumper had ZERO problems.

That said, I have recommended the 3.46 as an upgrade even without the LSD unit for people on a budget. The unit is nice to have but realistically, I noticed more of a day-to-day impact from that change. I drove a stock ZHP at the Reunion and couldn't wait to get back into mine driving around the twisties in Tennessee. I missed the punch immediately. 2nd and 3rd shifts are RIGHT in the powerband and having all the pull you need in 6th on the highway is a great feeling. MPG wise it was a non-issue. All the way to TN and back I averaged 29ish while sitting a little over 3k at 80. Again, this is why you have pull in 6th which balances it out.

All in all, I agree with Rob, it's a very worthwhile upgrade that you WILL notice if you up the gear ratio. I cannot say that you would notice it as much with the 3.07 as our cars really just don't have the power to "need" the LSD. Obviously, the power of the engine doesn't change with the gearing but it allows you a little bit better "access" to it.

Oh, and Arlington is great. I love being able to walk to work! Though I do miss driving my ZHP as much...though it does give me a "bonus M3" feeling in comparison when I go from the 4runner to her or not driving for awhile.

Avazi Auto group gets some nice cars in from time to time. Do they match them with good service?

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    I cannot say that you would notice it as much with the 3.07 as our cars really just don't have the power to "need" the LSD.
    dude, you're just not driving it hard enough. even my 325iT w/ 3.46 needs an LSD...
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    We got our fair share of the white stuff. The first I had Blizzaks and the open stock diff. Car handled great but I found the car pulling in one direction a lot of times which was annoying.
    I drove through a mild storm recently and the car did get a bit squirrely, especially when moving from a stop.

Thanks for all the advice and reassurance, guys. The plan is to pull the differential myself (looks easier than the springs and struts I did last winter--what a BITCH!), send it in for rebuild, and reinstall it when I get it back. Will I get my original pumpkin back? I'd like to since there're so few miles on it.

As for Avazi, they were GREAT--very communicative, easy to deal with, and eager to make everything right. Most importantly, the car they sold me is SOLID.

I don't drive either of my BMWs in the winter yet (doubt I ever will with the ZHP)--I have an '01 LeSabre (ha-ha) and an '05 Durango for bad and really bad conditions, respectively. Traction control has rudely interrupted my driving several times with the ZHP (never with my xi)--hence, my desire for an LSD.

If you get stuck doing the diff swap, feel free to shot me a PM. I've done the swap about 4 or 5 times...
    Unfortunately, Traction control is vey intrusive on these cars. I still find it annoying even with LSD. You can turn it off with the button or do some reprogramming if you have the skills or feel brave.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quick update... I swapped a used, open, 3.38 diff into my ZHP earlier this season (did it myself which wasn’t too bad—getting up and down from under the car was tiresome), and LOVE IT! Tomorrow, in fact, I’m taking advantage of MFactory’s 20% off sale and ordering myself a 3.46 LSD (I was talked out of going shorter) and do it right.
    Last edited by Reasoned1; 11-26-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Order placed—got a 3.64 which was the only non-3.07 they had on hand. CANNOT WAIT TO DRIVE IT! Unfortunately, it’ll be several months now...

Glad you got the one you really wanted Bill.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Well, I wanted the 3.46 which you recommended and I knew would be at least as delightful as our 3.38's, so I'm a little nervous it's going to be too aggressive, but I don't drive it much on interstate and love torque, so I'm excited about that and am a little relieved knowing I can't find myself guilty of not going short enough. Also, I conservatively ran the numbers a bunch of different ways and keep finding it ought to suit my driving style perfectly (picturing passing on State highways in 3rd, between 50 and 80, like it's nothing), still cruise at 80mph at only 3,400rpm (which is a tad much for long trips, but I never do that in this car) and still get me to 160 should the need arise. ; ) Finally, if anything can keep me from investing in FI, it would be this. The weather report shows two weeks of fair weather coming so, if I take delivery this week and install it next weekend, I may yet be able to give you a road report this season and put all my theorizing to rest (my head hurts).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast