Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rain Light Sensor issue? (post retrofit)

so i just finished doing the RLS retrofit on my 2003 ZHP. i had the windwhield replaced with the updated prism holder. I got a RLS sensor from a 2002 E46 M3 parts car I bought along with the Automatic headlight LCM face plate to.

i wired up the 4 wires for the RLS sensor properly using info form several DIYs. basically:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=759844

4 wires: brown=ground, purple=power, white/red=kbus(tap into any of them), green/brown=Pin #45 in the GM5 54 pin plug

I used NCS Export to mark the Rain sensor as ACTIVE in the GM5/ZKE module.

I fired up INPA and the RSL sensor (while attached to the prism) throws an error in INPA saying it can not communicate

when I remove the RLS from the prism and then the car off and turn it back on, the RLS sensor communicates and I can read the statrus and shine a light in it which shuts off my headlights.

if I put it back in the prism with the car still on, and shine a light through the prism, it still works.

as soon as I shut the car off and back on, the RLS sensor does not work anymore and doesnt communicate with INPA.

I have to remove it from the prism again, shut car off and back on and it works again.

it makes 0 sense and its not a wiring issue. its something with the prism.

my RLS sensor is part # RLS 6 920 044 and it is a 2001 model sensor.

i looked on ebay for E46 RLS sensor and thats not a common one found and most of them that come up are:

RLS 6 923 954 and have 2002-2004 dates.

Im thinking that my RLS sensor is too old to work properly with my GM5 module or something.

I was hoping ti see if anyone has factory RLS in their ZHPs and can tell me what their part number on the module says?

or maybe someone knows what the heck is going on lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    I was hoping ti see if anyone has factory RLS in their ZHPs and can tell me what their part number on the module says?
    I'll try (to remember) to check it for you this morning.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Here you go:

Name:  IMG_20161222_072315.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  1.80 MB
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Thank you very much. I guess I'll take a chance and pick up one from the salvage yard locally that Ms matches that part. Thanks for helping me confirm that

Same p/n on mine (2005). I'm guessing you're on the money in that your 2002 RLS can't communicate with the 2003 control module.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Same p/n on mine (2005). I'm guessing you're on the money in that your 2002 RLS can't communicate with the 2003 control module.
    It might have something to do with the fact that the RLS wasn't standard on the E46 sedan until 2004. Prior to that, I think it only came with the Premium Package, so the part numbers might have changed in 2004. I think the timing applies to coupes as well, though not 100% sure on that.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    It might have something to do with the fact that the RLS wasn't standard on the E46 sedan until 2004. Prior to that, I think it only came with the Premium Package, so the part numbers might have changed in 2004. I think the timing applies to coupes as well, though not 100% sure on that.
    picked up an RLS sensor from an E39 today. it has the same PN 6 923 954 and it works fine in my car. INPA can communicate with it while mounted in the prism and doesnt lose connection.

I was able to use NCS expert to read the values of the RLS sensor and change the sensitivity of the sensor to be more sensitive. the RLS was engaging the headlights in automatic mode too early and also taking 10 seconds to engage and disengage. its now down to 5 seconds like I expected it to.

my retrofit is complete. looking forward to updating my project thread.

thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
    my retrofit is complete. looking forward to updating my project thread.
    thanks guys!
    When I bought the used 2003 530i, the previous owner had installed a windshield without the rain sensor section, but the auto headlights worked. I had the proper Pilkington glass with rain sensor installed, but the rain sensor function doesn't work. I didn't have any coding done. Is this what I'm lacking? I thought, perhaps, the wiper stalk is faulty, as there is no adjustable intermittent function presently - I have off-slow-slow-fast.

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    When I bought the used 2003 530i, the previous owner had installed a windshield without the rain sensor section, but the auto headlights worked. I had the proper Pilkington glass with rain sensor installed, but the rain sensor function doesn't work. I didn't have any coding done. Is this what I'm lacking? I thought, perhaps, the wiper stalk is faulty, as there is no adjustable intermittent function presently - I have off-slow-slow-fast.

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!
    well i dont have any experience yet with the rain sensor portion, only the light sensor part. when I read the file for the GM5/ZKE module, there were settings for rain sensor delay etc... but if you have the same sensor you have always had, was it just hanging? if the prev owner didnt get the proper windshield which has the prism in it, then your sensor had no where to mount so it was either unplugged or hanging from the wiring harness.

in any case, if its the same sensor and is now mounted back in the prism, then its possible the sensor just needs to be re initialized with the INPA program and also have any fault codes read from the sensor and then cleared.

io know in my OLD sensor that didnt work, when I read the sensor in INPA, it had 1 fault code in german that translated to HARDWARE issue. as soon as i got the proper sensor, INPA showed no fault codes for it and i could initialize it no problem.

when you clear codes and initialize it while still in the prism, then the sensor and GM5/ZKE will learn again.

also make sure you have no thing blocking the sensor like a tint strip etc and that there are no bubbles in the prism area.

you can test the sensor by using a spray bottle I believe and spraying water onto the sensor area while the I setting on the stalk but again i have no experience with this since my car had nothing previously and was retrofitted into my car.

The previous owner had snipped the wires & removed the sensor, so I replaced it with the proper unit. Spraying the sensor area doesn't initiate the auto wipers. There is a local guy that can code the E-series, so I'll talk to him about it. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast