Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast
    Wow - pretty serious amount of work... I don’t know if I could go six weeks without driving the car.
    -Chris

This looks great. Glad to see you had chance to complete so many items.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Nice jorb!

Any mayo in the face incidents with the CCV?
    Thanks, Marcin. No mayo incidents thankfully. Looking forward to seeing your pictures from Road America, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Hell yeah brother! That's a Sreten level update right there.
    @Sreten level update with no pictures of the Alps or some obscure repair on a 90s BMW. Just some rusty ass blue thing that becomes slightly less rusty with each update.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I haven't checked my OPG for leaks yet because I don't care. I'll put the car into a lake before I do that job again.
    FS: obnoxious red thing with possible OPG leak and minor water damage. No tire kickers, no lowballers, I know what I got.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Nice job! Especially with the paint...

Must be glad to be done with it...

And now I’m dreading replacing my OPG
    Thanks, Sandeep, definitely glad to be finished with it. Painting, in my opinion, is one of those things where a little extra effort can go a long way. I was a little worried because this lovely southern humidity can greatly impact how painting turns out, but some precaution, patience, and a box fan to accelerate drying really pays off.

Don’t dread it, it’s honestly not that bad. I’d rather do 5 more OPG jobs than have to do the clutch again.

Quote Originally Posted by cornercarver View Post
    Wow - pretty serious amount of work... I don’t know if I could go six weeks without driving the car.
    It was tough not driving her, but I kept telling myself it was better to just suck it up and knock it all out. The biggest downside from driving the X3 exclusively during that time was how it made me realize it definitely needs new shocks...

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    This looks great. Glad to see you had chance to complete so many items.
    Thanks, Fredo. I’m really pleased with how things are looking under the hood. Hoping to get her out on the backroads tomorrow and really do a proper test—if all goes well we’re hitting the Roval (Charlotte Motor Speedway) next Friday.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Dang, nice update! Glad it all came together without too many issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Thanks, Marcin. No mayo incidents thankfully. Looking forward to seeing your pictures from Road America, btw.
    Ruh roh. They should be coming soon-ish. So far I went through the images on the camera and deleted the images from there. Now I need to upload to the computer and sort out there. As usual, not much editing will be done so that shouldn't take too long. Things didn't seem to line up too well this year. The lens seemed dirty and I didn't have a microfiber cloth. I only went for two days, so I missed out on some practice. I hope that's the reason and it's not the firmware update.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    @Sreten level update with no pictures of the Alps or some obscure repair on a 90s BMW. Just some rusty ass blue thing that becomes slightly less rusty with each update.
    Where's the random trip to the Tail of the Dragon? And the ETA on that M5 from Hawaii?

So regarding that gauge faces thing...
    The facelift coupes had the higher 6500 RPM redline, which is what the one you sent me has. Is that going to bother you now? lol

The sedan cluster technically is the correct one as the ZHP coupes used the same one (regarding style, black face with non-italicized font). Did you just want to differentiate or were you looking to 'correct' it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Honestly, I have no idea how @Sreten writes these novel-length updates every other week. This writeup took longer than I’d care to admit.
    Dude, I loved this update! Lots of work meticulously done here and written up.

Every time it's like that. You think it'll be done quickly but the time just goes by and before you know it there goes a better part of your day.

Wow, great werk!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

M50 Conversion Part 1

Long time no update. Not really worth wasting anyone’s time with the “why” of my absence, but I’ll definitely be getting back into regular usage of our beloved forum once again…hoping it’s still active… Anyway, on with the show!

This might be a lengthy post, sorry, that’s just how I write.

Why Convert:

Unlike many, I actually don’t really care *too much* about squeezing every last bit of power from this car. The overwhelming majority of roads around me have 30 or 35mph limits, so I can already get in a world of trouble before hitting third gear as it is. For that same reason losing a small amount of low-rev torque isn't a big deal to me. For me the motivation is to just simplify things under the hood, eliminate DISA headaches, and create more space to move around in there when wrenching. I've also been wanting to delete the SAP for a long time for a similar reason, might as well venture down that path all at once.

The desire for simplicity and space began this spring when I went to awaken the car from her winter slumber, only to find more mouse poo and acorn shells than I’ve ever seen in such a concentrated area.

I got some live-catch traps on Amazon because snap-traps would be very messy under the hood, put 1 on top of the manifold and 1 on top of the valve cover, and had a new friend the very next morning.

I caught 4 the first week. There’s a park in the neighborhood with a creek and some woods where I take them for release.

In addition to crapping and leaving countless acorn shells in-between each intake runner, they also chewed some wiring...and for some reason decided to nibble on both upper and lower intake boots. Since I had to take everything apart to assess damage/repair/clean up I decided to pursue the M50 swap.

I understand there are plenty of threads out there on this conversion, and there are many ways to do it. This is mainly to serve as my own documentation, and hopefully help out anyone else wanting to do this with an MS45 car and M56 VC.

Initial Parts Acquisition:

In the US the M50B25 was found on the E36 325i/325is (’92-’96 I think?) and the E34 525i/525ix. I set notifications in LKQ’s app for E36s at the 3 closest locations to me and waited. If I'd had to pay eBay prices (~$300 + shipping seemed to be the average) for the manifold I would've stuck with the M54. They cost ~$50 at LKQ and Pull-a-Part.

A 325i sedan landed in a yard an hour away, but when I got there the next morning the manifold was already gone. Patience paid off though when a couple weeks later a ’96 vert arrived across town. I went straight over, and was greeted with this glorious sight under the hood.

Anyone looking to source one themselves, just know LKQ does not include injectors/fuel rail in the manifold price. The beauty cover is also not included, but if you screw the cover to the manifold and put the whole thing in the wheelbarrow upside down you’re good. The M50 fuel rail is different from ours, so I didn't bother with it, and at the time I didn't know about the M54 vs. M50 injector spray pattern differences so I didn't think to take the M50 injectors with me.

Here are a few side-by-sides to really illustrate how much difference there is between the M50 and M54 IMs:

One other perk to pulling a part yourself vs. buying on eBay is you can grab all/as many of the accessory bits as you want/need (ICV elbow, etc.) that an eBay seller won't provide. The “730” part number I got was the final version of this manifold I believe.

Test fit with no accessories to show the size difference under the hood:

The first and most obvious issue is the M50 only mounts with 7 studs instead of 9. The bottom of the double studs between cylinders 2-3 and 4-5 get removed. I removed them all to make it easier to clean the mating surface, and because my Canadian rust bucket had rusty studs/nuts I wanted to address. I'm replacing them with N52/N54 studs I grabbed in the junkyard because (a) they have an E-torx head so installing/removing doesn’t require double nut method, and (2) they’re slightly longer so if I decide to get a tapered adapter plate (because I doubt I’m going to port-match the engine) they’ll have enough thread length to do so.

Length comparison, and comparing my rusty hardware to the stuff I grabbed at the yard:

I'm hoping Lowe's/Home Depot will have a metric grub screw the right size to fill the holes of the 2 removed studs. I don't intend on going back to the M54 IM if this whole conversion works, but I don't want those empty threads getting all gross/rusty just in case.

Wiring Harness

As mentioned above, the mice chewed some wiring—which I'm still assessing the extent of—so I decided to remove the entire wiring harness to check everything out, and see what I could do about simplifying things. The bracket/box part of the harness that mounts to the M54 TB really makes it much harder to move around underneath the manifold, and since stuff’s getting shuffled around with the M50 I thought it best to remove the bracket/box and turn the octopus monster into a spaghetti monster. The fuel injector connectors have to be removed from their plastic box anyway (I'll address that later) so it just made sense to take the whole thing out and wrap all the isolated wire strands in one go from the comfort of the house rather than leaning over the fender/bumper for several hours.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve gotten to so far. Hopefully I’ll have some more progress to document and share soon.
    Last edited by 704sw; 07-02-2023 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot how to format Flickr links
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

What’s the hose attached to the power steering reservoir cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 LastLast