Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Estoril Coupe or: How I Learned to Import a Unicorn

Meet Emma.

Estoril Blue = EB, EB = Emma Bovary. Yes, I have named the car after an adulterous literary character. It's a good book, and I'm a nerd.

As I'm sure everyone on this forum with a pulse is aware, Slater is selling his Estoril ZHP Coupe. Whelp, I'm the buyer. I'll be flying up in mid/late January, meeting my friend (user ZHPizza) in Toronto, importing and then driving this unicorn back to North Carolina.

Be prepared for many future pictures. I'm a detailing nut, and have an extensive background in photography. Subscribers are welcome.

(Photo cred on this goes to Slater)

The first thing I have to address in order to bring it into the States legally is the speedometer. It seems the ability to import a car with a kilo-only speedometer is completely subjective, and is more or less based on how shitty of a day is being had by the agent inspecting the car at the border. I'm not interested in getting stuck in upstate New York in late January, so I've been looking at my options. The Bimmian faces are nice but I'm not in love with them, they're $115, and the redline is off. Since I was likely not going to have an accurate redline, I started looking for cheap E46 clusters on eBay/Craigslist to take apart and pull the US/MPH faces out of. When looking for sub-$100 clusters, I found this:

$21 shipped. And it's from a ZHP. You can't tell me buying this car wasn't meant to be.

...much more to come...
    Last edited by 704sw; 06-18-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Awesome. Hope you have safe travels. I'm interested in reading the import documentation.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Congrats on the purchase, you got a well sorted car it seems. And the color is CHOICE
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP - BMWP brakes/intake/strut bar/shifter, Coby wraps interior, BBS CHs, Eagle Eye LED tails, LED fog lights, GC coilovers, Sprint Booster/sport button mod, 4.5 LCM w/ programming, Xtrons 9inch HU, BSW stg1, dynamat, M3 sedan dead pedal, oCarbon CF interior trim, CF seat backs, 2x2 CF MTECH2 diffuser, CF cabin filter cover

We definitely have to get a Carolina GTG going in the spring. I'd like to see this car up close
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Subscribed.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Awesome. Hope you have safe travels. I'm interested in reading the import documentation.
    Thanks, Dane. I was careless and wrecked my Mazda3 on an icy bridge so I'm having some anxiety about the drive, but I certainly won't be taking any unnecessary risks.

As far as the import process is concerned, it actually doesn't look to be that bad given the car is "substantially similar to models sold in the US." This label under the hood (do they say "bonnet" up in Canada?) should help a lot:

Last edited by 704sw; 12-24-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

this is awesome. looking forward to it!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I love that it says US Regulations and then California Regulations as if we were another country. (Frankly, it feels like it when it comes to car rules..)

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    I love that it says US Regulations and then California Regulations as if we were another country. (Frankly, it feels like it when it comes to car rules..)
    California is ​another country as far as I'm concerned.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    California is ​another country as far as I'm concerned.
    It's pretty comforting to know the things "known to cause cancer in California" are safe for me on the East Coast.

Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast