Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Estoril Coupe or: How I Learned to Import a Unicorn

I️ hope the tool is helpful. The shop that did my SSK had to drill out the header/exhaust bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Let me know how those M3 engine mounts go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    M3 mounts are a nice improvement. Highly recommend them
    Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    you'll like the M3 mounts... they are probably about as close to perfect as you can get for DD use. i love mine.
    My initial assessment on the M3 mounts after 2 very short drives: the car is more comfortable. I expected a little extra NVH (well, just NV, no H), but the vibrations are actually reduced. I’ll chalk it up to the old mounts being rock hard, and a bit compressed. I know the M3 mounts are taller, but there was about 3/8-1/2” difference in height.

Also, the new diff/tranny fluids feel fantastic. The stuff that came out of both was absolutely disgusting...and smelled like week-old roadkill in summer.

at least you've got some semblance of a 6-sided nut there.
    That was the best looking one. Two are rounded. The last one isn’t there at all.

definitely see if you can get the bolts drilled out instead, that will be easier for you than removing the headers.
    I’m trying to get in with my shop this week. I’ll have them weld up the Magnaflow while I’m there, and be ready for loud noises...and easier removal for this weekend’s rescheduled fun.

bummer. my RMS is leaking too, albeit slowly. new RMS is not expensive and easy to replace when the trans it out.
    Yea it is a bummer...a bummer you sold me a lemon!!! I’m kidding, obviously—despite the headaches from its northern-ness, I absolutely love this obnoxious thing. And frankly I’m not sure I could’ve bought a car from a better person. Like I said earlier, the clutch is definitely engaging pretty high, so I’ll probably knock it all out at once.

great idea picking up that clean subframe - i wish i had one of those! that looks perfect.
    It had a little surface rust, but nothing like what’s on there now. A wire brush attachment on a drill took care of 99% of it, and rust converter took care of the hard-to-reach nooks and crannies. The epoxy makes it look nice, and being sealed in is nice peace of mind. I figure I’ll need to hit the bottom brace with a little touchup hear and there from the jack, but it should serve well. And being able to work on it off the car, while keeping the car usable is a huge plus. I had to pick it up, but it was conveniently close to a work trip, and I paid $35 for it.

solid aluminum ones from turner, they appeared to be the best after conferencing with vince about them.
    How rough is the ride going to be with poly diff, and solid aluminum subs? Re: the reinforcement, it’s on my to-do list. I’m planning on doing an MFactory LSD next year, and will reinforce the booty then. I just need a 3.38/3.46 donor (haven’t decided) with a pumpkin that isn’t rusty.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I’m trying to get in with my shop this week. I’ll have them weld up the Magnaflow while I’m there, and be ready for loud noises...and easier removal for this weekend’s rescheduled fun.
    nice - that makes good sense. i hope that goes well!

Yea it is a bummer...a bummer you sold me a lemon!!! I’m kidding, obviously—despite the headaches from its northern-ness, I absolutely love this obnoxious thing. And frankly I’m not sure I could’ve bought a car from a better person. Like I said earlier, the clutch is definitely engaging pretty high, so I’ll probably knock it all out at once.
    haha... thanks man. likewise, and i do miss the car a lot more than i expected to...

when you do the clutch - get the valeo SMF conversion kit. i'm recommending this now but haven't actually installed it yet. i will be installing it next week, most likely. it looks like a very good kit - as 'OEM' as you can get while getting rid of the DMF.

It had a little surface rust, but nothing like what’s on there now. A wire brush attachment on a drill took care of 99% of it, and rust converter took care of the hard-to-reach nooks and crannies. The epoxy makes it look nice, and being sealed in is nice peace of mind. I figure I’ll need to hit the bottom brace with a little touchup hear and there from the jack, but it should serve well. And being able to work on it off the car, while keeping the car usable is a huge plus. I had to pick it up, but it was conveniently close to a work trip, and I paid $35 for it.
    nice, that is a solid deal all around!

How rough is the ride going to be with poly diff, and solid aluminum subs? Re: the reinforcement, it’s on my to-do list. I’m planning on doing an MFactory LSD next year, and will reinforce the booty then. I just need a 3.38/3.46 donor (haven’t decided) with a pumpkin that isn’t rusty.
    the stiffer subframe and diff mounts will not affect ride quality - the only sharpen throttle response (well, technically they don't, they just reduce slop in the drivetrain, which makes throttle response 'feel' better). and there is some audible gear whine from the rear diff - which i like....not everyone does. the front subframe is solidly mounted, and BMW actually solidly mounted the rear subframe on the F80 M3/4. it really allows you to feel what the rear end of the car is doing a lot better, and allows more power to go to the ground.

for the reinforcement, go with the VinceBar... in my opinion, it's not worth digging into for anything less.

i have the 3.46 helical LSD from MFactory and love it! great balance between increased revs and not being too aggressive in 6th on the highway. and don't worry about the rust issue, they will sandblast and paint the case anyway.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

nice - that makes good sense. i hope that goes well!
    Thanks, I’m excited about it. I bought it from rkneeshaw after he switched to the Borla, and he made a modification to it which I think I’ll really like. He replaced the standard Magnaflow X-pipe with a MF resonator that has an internal X-pipe. It should refine the note a little, and cut out a hint of the rasp.

haha... thanks man. likewise, and i do miss the car a lot more than i expected to...
    I develop bonds with cars in ways only ‘car people’ could appreciate. For me, having a great story about why I picked this car, or the adventure when I came to acquire it, or the person from whom I bought it, makes the ownership experience that much better.

when you do the clutch - get the valeo SMF conversion kit. i'm recommending this now but haven't actually installed it yet. i will be installing it next week, most likely. it looks like a very good kit - as 'OEM' as you can get while getting rid of the DMF.
    Let us all know what you think. This original clutch is a little chattery during disengagement, so I don’t think the SMF chatter will be anything I can’t tolerate.

for the reinforcement, go with the VinceBar... in my opinion, it's not worth digging into for anything less.

i have the 3.46 helical LSD from MFactory and love it! great balance between increased revs and not being too aggressive in 6th on the highway. and don't worry about the rust issue, they will sandblast and paint the case anyway.
    Oh did you send yours in? I was thinking about buying the innards and doing it myself. $999 is a lot easier pill to swallow lol.

As for the VinceBar: I know it’s a lot more expensive, and in-depth, but if I keep this car for as long as I’m planning to, I definitely want to do it right.

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

+1 on the clutch thoughts....

Have you done ring and pinion setup before?
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Once I have my car back on the ground and driving I’ll let you know how it feels with solid rear subframe bushings as well as Vincebar and Vinceskinz installed.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

I develop bonds with cars in ways only ‘car people’ could appreciate. For me, having a great story about why I picked this car, or the adventure when I came to acquire it, or the person from whom I bought it, makes the ownership experience that much better.
    couldn't agree more!

Let us all know what you think. This original clutch is a little chattery during disengagement, so I don’t think the SMF chatter will be anything I can’t tolerate.
    the valeo SMF is steel and actually only a couple of pounds lighter than the stock DMF, so it shouldn't chatter much, if at all.

Oh did you send yours in? I was thinking about buying the innards and doing it myself. $999 is a lot easier pill to swallow lol.
    i sent in a core, yeah. they were running a promo so it was only $1200, i think. would happily spend $1500 on it (i think that's regular price?), it's awesome.

As for the VinceBar: I know it’s a lot more expensive, and in-depth, but if I keep this car for as long as I’m planning to, I definitely want to do it right.
    do it once, do it right. absolutely.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I'll be going with the vince bar myself when the time comes...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Don't underestimate the annoyingness of lightweight flywheel chatter. Just make sure it is indeed something you can live with, because it will be louder than the barely audible chatter of our worn DMF's.

I had crazy chatter on my 13lb flywheel in my E30 and it drive me up a wall. I'm sure this kit for the E46 isn't quite as bad, but it's definitely not silent.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    when the time comes...
    My philosophy as well. I need to brush up on my welding in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Don't underestimate the annoyingness of lightweight flywheel chatter. Just make sure it is indeed something you can live with, because it will be louder than the barely audible chatter of our worn DMF's.

I had crazy chatter on my 13lb flywheel in my E30 and it drive me up a wall. I'm sure this kit for the E46 isn't quite as bad, but it's definitely not silent.
    Thanks for the heads up. I’ll continue my digging, as I have some time.

Dear Santa, I’ve been a really good boy this year, and I think I’ve earned a shiny new clutch rebuild.

General update: I got an appointment booked for Thursday to have these rusty ass exhaust fittings taken care of. I need a better way to record the audio for my before/after. The mic on the phone just ain’t cutting it.

Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast