Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    No doubt, I just like giving myself a hard time. They said a ZHP will always draw attention in the shop, “especially one like that.”
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

200,800km

Went up to VIR on Friday for the Spring Charity Laps, and met Mafia member Bimmerteknik. I was enjoying myself on the first session until my plastic belly tray fell out on the back straight at about ~100mph. The 3 screws holding it to the metal tray is all that kept the tray from becoming part of the Camaro behind me. It’s trashed, and I’ll likely just elect not to replace it...for now at least.

Picture from when the car was still intact.

James, I’ll send you the pictures I took of your car whenever I get a chance.

Instead of going back on a second session, I did a pair of hot laps in an E30 track car, which was a freaking blast. A bit frightening, but a blast. The driver happened to be the local CCA chapter’s chief driving instructor, and we talked for about 30 minutes afterwards about the upcoming HPDE weekend I’m scheduled for. Really informative, and glad I was able to meet him.

I’m also realizing the importance of replacing the entire tie rod instead of just the outer ends, as I’m still getting a lot of steering play at speed. At this point it’s basically the only suspension/steering component I haven’t replaced (other than the rack itself), but new complete rods will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Final update: I just ordered Besian Vanos seals, as I’m getting pretty bad throttle surging in the 2900-3500rpm range. Gotta get that addressed before the event over Easter weekend.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Your car looks great on the track!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Man, I bet that was scary. It's never fun hearing noises under the engine when tracking. Thank goodness it was just the plastic belly pan tray. It's a miracle there were no flat tires when that tray came loose. Those quick lock screws that likely were dropping under your car look like a tire flattening gadget from a James Bond movie. They really do look like roofing nails, but they don't have sharp tips. I would think they could still go into a tire, but maybe they won't.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble.../8do805960121/
    (link is for Z4M, but screws are the same)

Salty
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    I’m also realizing the importance of replacing the entire tie rod instead of just the outer ends, as I’m still getting a lot of steering play at speed. At this point it’s basically the only suspension/steering component I haven’t replaced (other than the rack itself), but new complete rods will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    I just did this, and I bought the big ol' crows foot for tightening the inner tie rod. If you are DIYing this yourself, you're welcome to borrow it. I also have an outer tie rod ball joint separator you're welcome to use. You mentioned moving to Greensboro, but if you're around Charlotte and need it, just let me know.

Salty

PS - Also have the offset crimper for the boot clamps that is handy.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Nice, looks like you had a lot of fun. I want go to a track here in Michigan (Waterford) in May but I am not sure if my stock brakes are up to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Ah...the belly pan strikes again in the most opportune time. Mine came off on a cold winter day shortly after setting off to go to the gym. I've been scared of this happening again. I believe the screws were still there when I looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Your car looks great on the track!
    I’m excited to learn, and hopefully have it be a regular staple!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Man, I bet that was scary. It's never fun hearing noises under the engine when tracking. Thank goodness it was just the plastic belly pan tray. It's a miracle there were no flat tires when that tray came loose. Those quick lock screws that likely were dropping under your car look like a tire flattening gadget from a James Bond movie. They really do look like roofing nails, but they don't have sharp tips. I would think they could still go into a tire, but maybe they won't.
    It was scary. The air resistance made it hit the asphalt so hard it honestly sounded like I’d blown a tire or something. Believe it or not every screw was still attached to the car in some manner. Two pulled through the plastic tray and we’re still in the body, the other two were stuck in the tray. I guess the flimsy female ends finally succumbed to their rusty fate.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    I just did this, and I bought the big ol' crows foot for tightening the inner tie rod. If you are DIYing this yourself, you're welcome to borrow it. I also have an outer tie rod ball joint separator you're welcome to use. You mentioned moving to Greensboro, but if you're around Charlotte and need it, just let me know.

Salty

PS - Also have the offset crimper for the boot clamps that is handy.
    Still in Charlotte—I was planning to use a big pipe wrench, but crows foot sounds super handy. I’ll shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Nice, looks like you had a lot of fun. I want go to a track here in Michigan (Waterford) in May but I am not sure if my stock brakes are up to it...
    Just need to take cool down laps more often! I think StopTech makes some street performance pads which might be okay for dual use? That’s what I plan on getting after I eat through these pads. Or EBC...idk I’m indecisive.

Quote Originally Posted by holyc0w View Post
    Ah...the belly pan strikes again in the most opportune time. Mine came off on a cold winter day shortly after setting off to go to the gym. I've been scared of this happening again. I believe the screws were still there when I looked at it.
    If I lived up north I’d be a lot more concerned about replacing it. If/when I do, I’m probably just going to zip tie it in place, since those screws don’t feel even remotely strong.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

loved reading your account of how your session went down. RIP plastic tray. you are a strong individual tracking your Estoril coupe
    2003 ZHP 332i | S54 6 speed
    2002 ZHP Touring | M54 6 Speed

Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast