Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Got turned away from smog shop with my BMW Performance Intake

Oh wonderful california smog.....Had a frustrating few minutes at the local AAA smog shop. The guy called me over and asked about the BMW Performance Intake.

me:its from BMW its fine.
    him:He said no thats not the one that came with the car from the factory, right?
    me: No
    him: then I can't test it. I need an EO (executive order) number.
    me: So if I find this EO number you will test it?
    him: No you need the paperwork and a sticker to put on the car
    me: How do I get that?
    him: You need to go to BMW and get the paper work and order the sticker. Or put the old intake back on the car and come back.
    me: Just FYI You guys smogged this car 2 years ago and it wasn't an issue then
    him: They're getting more strict as of last year.

Little more back and forth, but he wouldn't budge. His co worker he called over was making sounds like he would've let it go but felt the need to back up his co worker "it'd be nice to have the sticker"

So I left. BMW wouldn't sell this thing in California if it wasn't legal right? I bought it used so I didn't get the sticker. Think BMW has these things?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

I'm glad I don't live in CA. My car is about as far from stock as you can get...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Just put the stock one back in for smog.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Why don't you try a different smog shop?

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Just put the stock one back in for smog.
    Im thinking thats what I might have to do this weekend. THANKFULLY I have the old airbox still. So this thread is also a warning to everyone to keep the original part. Ive seen a number of threads on other forums of people asking for stock air boxes for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    Why don't you try a different smog shop?
    Because if he's right about them getting more strict then it wouldn't matter where I go right. and I don't want to pay another shop. They didn't charge me for this one (I would've told them to go to hell).

I think the bottom line is the BMW Perf Intake might not be legal in California. Im not finding any documentation about it online
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Here in AZ, they don't even pop your hood any more, and no sniffer either - just an OBD readiness test & gas cap pressure test and you're outta there in 3 minutes. California wants to over-regulate the hell out of everything. Sad state of affairs.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

IThey still pop the hood here in CA for a visual inspection. One of the things they look for is aftermarket intakes. I bought my ZHP new and was told I could add any of the BMWP parts right on to the financing because they were dealer installed options. They even had one of the intakes bolted to a BMWP display wall that they showed all buyers.

I've never been questioned about mine but if I was I would tell them it came with the ZHP option. Or just go to another shop.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

I should have said it was stock, haha. My bad for being honest. Yeah I'll try a few other shops first. I found a few others in the area.

I would try other smog shops, its a freaking BMW part..

And another reason why I will never live in Comifornia. Swapping air intakes is at least easy.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast