Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tricky problem with windshield washer fluid leak

I have an odd problem that I thought was a failed/cracked headlight washer pump and has turned into a pain in the butt.

What I noticed: Low washer fluid light, washer fluid on floor under car. However leak is so slow I haven't been able

Did some searching: Lots of leaking problems attributd to cracked washer pump.

What I have done so far: Removed washer tank and confirmed it does not have a crack. Have looked at both washer pumps and they are working fine and don't have any visual indications of leaking.

Secondary finding: The passenger side headlamp washer is working BUT the driver side headlamp washer is not.

So my connundrum is this: is it likely that the leak is somewhere in the tubing between the left and right headlamp washers? There is only one tube coming into the washer fluid tank that somehow feeds both headlamp washers. I don't know and can't see if the tube "splits" at some point or feeds the passenger side washer first and then feeds the driver side. Logically, it can't be the other way because if the leak was at the driver headlamp washer there would be no pressure for the water to reach the passenger side.

If that is the case (leak in the line downstream from the headlight washer pump) how the heck to I find it? Or is the fact that the passenger side headlight washer still works but the driver side washer does not, is there another possible problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Being wintertime in Oregon, I need windshield wiper fluid. I am now travelling with a gallon of washer fluid in my trunk to fill up when it runs dry (which is once a day) and is a real inconvenience.

THanks,

David
    2004 330i E46 with ZHP performance package and cold weather package

well, I found another problem I didn't realize I had. The passenger siide headlight nozzle is partially broken. It is streaming water everywhere but on the headlight when activated. I could not see this from the driving position but could when my wife activated them in the garage. So I need to replace that. That is probably what is causing the lack of water pressure to the driver side headlamp washer (which does extend, but no water comes out).

I still need to find the source of the leak though...

Your problem, I believe is the grommet that is below the washer pump. I would buy a new pump with grommet and filter. You get fresh power and as many could tell you here, the leak will stop. Think the pump was like $25 at ECS.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

The headlight washer system is a giant PITA and provides very marginal benefits. I'd recommend you cap off the headlight washer pump and and make do with just the windshield washer system.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

The schematic on RealOEM.com shows that there is a single hose out from the headlamp washer pump that then comes to a T and travels to each headlamp washer nozzle (Link). My guess is that the hose to the driver's side headlamp nozzle either has a leak or fell off at the T. Not sure if you can trace it with your hands or not.

That said, when I had my '03 330Ci that had the Cold Weather Package, I just ended up disconnecting and plugging the headlamp washer pump, both electrically and from the hose leading out to the headlamps. It leaked and was often a headache for me. If I had the Cold Weather Package in my current car, I would have disconnected it. It's too much hassle for so little benefit. All I would care about is the washers to the windshield which isn't bothered by disconnecting the pump to the headlamps.

This keeps getting better and better. The plastic covers for the headlight washers are SUPER flimsy. Turns out both of mine were already broken on the inside, the two loops of plastic that connect onto the headlight nozzle. Surprised neither of them fell off by themselves. I superglued them back together for now and have ordered a new headlight washer nozzle for the right side, and also a new headlight washer pump and filter sleeve to see if this solves the problems of the leak and the zero water pressure on the left side. I think the leak is with the broken headlight washer nozzle. What a pain in the butt...

As for the plasticy headlight washer covers, where do you go to get new ones painted? on FCP Euro, they come primered. Do you just buy touch up paint and paint them? I can't see a body shop going through the trouble of painting things so small...

Thanks for the inputs. Yes, this is turning into a giant PITA. If I didn't already pull the trigger on the 3 new parts (pump, grommet/filter, nozzle head) I would have gone with the "plug up the whole thing" route. I just got into OCD mode on this problem this afternoon and wanted to fix it. But this will be the last time. If it dies again or still leaks. I will just plug the whole thing up.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    The schematic on RealOEM.com shows that there is a single hose out from the headlamp washer pump that then comes to a T and travels to each headlamp washer nozzle (Link). My guess is that the hose to the driver's side headlamp nozzle either has a leak or fell off at the T. Not sure if you can trace it with your hands or not.

That said, when I had my '03 330Ci that had the Cold Weather Package, I just ended up disconnecting and plugging the headlamp washer pump, both electrically and from the hose leading out to the headlamps. It leaked and was often a headache for me. If I had the Cold Weather Package in my current car, I would have disconnected it. It's too much hassle for so little benefit. All I would care about is the washers to the windshield which isn't bothered by disconnecting the pump to the headlamps.
    Thanks for the link to this site! Very cool! will definitely bookmark it. I have a sneaking suspicion that because the nozzle is broken on the right side and water literally gushes out when it is "on", that there is no water pressure to drive the driver's side. When I replace the nozzle and pump/grommet I'll know for sure I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by dpark View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. Yes, this is turning into a giant PITA. If I didn't already pull the trigger on the 3 new parts (pump, grommet/filter, nozzle head) I would have gone with the "plug up the whole thing" route. I just got into OCD mode on this problem this afternoon and wanted to fix it. But this will be the last time. If it dies again or still leaks. I will just plug the whole thing up.
    I went OCD on this exact thing last summer. Ordered a new pump, grommet, connection piece (61668360181), hose etc. But there was still a leak from one of the actual nozzles. And then the little painted covers cracked and I super-glued them just like you. Then I just gave up and capped the headlight washer pump and disconnected it from the hose and the electrical connector. As long as I have proper functional windshield washers, i'm good.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

The telescopic nozzles are not electric, it's the water pressure that extends them and then when the inner tube is fully extended the water is released though the holes in the end.

Not the best explanation but if you have a leak they won't work at all.
    2006 CiC 6MT
    ZHP, Cold Weather, Xenon
    Sapphire Black / Black Leather / Black Cube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast