Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Eonon D5150Z 7"

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I won't touch any of this Chinese crap with a 10-ft pole. I just don't trust them for overall hardware quality, plus taking off-the-shelf Android and trying to make it run a head unit isn't an ideal proposition.

It's ridiculous that there aren't more name-brand options on the market for a mechless shallow-mount double-DIN unit out there, and what there is is hideously expensive. You'd think somebody could build a quality unit for ~$500 that would fit a ton of cars, including difficult ones like ours, and sell like hotcakes. Just give me the basics - CarPlay/Android Auto, SD/USB/iPod support, Bluetooth, a decent amp/preamp, and a display with good resolution, and I'm all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    $270 for all that. Amazing. If it sounds too good to be true....
    Well Kev, if you don't like it, then don't buy one... And considering you don't have one (I can only assume), I'd save your opinions of what it might be (haterade), for a different thread my friend. I'm looking for reviews/input/info from members who currently own one, or have at one time.
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2013 BMW X5 M-Sport - Sold
    2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Yep, good points, ill keep an eye on this thread as hopefully, more people will comment on the newer versions of the device they own.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Yep, good points, ill keep an eye on this thread as hopefully, more people will comment on the newer versions of the device they own.
    The new ones have some improvements for sure.

From what I can see from a performance perspective, the hardware that matters still hasn't been improved from the older GA5150 (the version I have). It still only has only 1GB of RAM. So, you have a newer OS that claims more resources, yet not enough improvement in its ability to handle it. This is an important consideration from an overall performance perspective, so the comparison is still valid old to new since the hardware is almost the same.

Don't get me wrong; the unit works fine from a basic functionality perspective, and it's not bad enough to make me want to rip it out and reinstall business CD. It's not frustrating at all, only slightly annoying every once in a while when you're trying to do something specific and it's not letting you. It still serves its purpose, and it's nice having a big screen to view maps on versus a phone.

I haven't been able to utilize the onboard 8GB of storage it claims to have, so I have to use a USB flash drive for music. I can't listen via Bluetooth streaming while using hotspot and GPS without the music stuttering. Luckily I don't do that combo that often. I hope they've fixed the bug where you can't use the onboard storage. Either that, or I'm stupid for not figuring it out, but I doubt the latter.

BTW - the boot up time was a concern at first, but you get used to it. Now I don't think anything of it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

EDIT:

Okay, so I did some research on the screen resolution because something struck me when I mentioned 1024x600. The GA5150 I have has a 800x480 screen, and THAT is the size I'm griping about. The 1024x600 actually is an improvement in the newer unit, so you should not have the resolution issues I had. So, that's a good thing for the new unit!

Honestly, for the price... even if you expect issues, you still get something better than the business CD.
    Last edited by az3579; 01-21-2017 at 07:22 AM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Good info BP, thanks.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Just purchased the ga6150 and the maps for it and got a free dash cam.
    Last edited by Johnmadd; 01-22-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Just purchased the ga6150 ad the maps for it and got a free dash cam.
    Definitely do a first impressions review when you have it installed, plus a long term, if you'd be so kind.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Definitely do a first impressions review when you have it installed, plus a long term, if you'd be so kind.
    If it's not an extensive review, just pm me for the specifics.
    Last edited by Johnmadd; 01-21-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    +1
    2016 BMW M340i

BMW CCA Member . Dinan Stage 1 Software . Dinan 3.5" Exhaust . Dinan CAI & Turbo Inlet . VSRF Charge Pipe . H&R Sport Springs . CF: Front Splitter, Rear Valance, Trunk Spoiler, Roof Spoiler, M3 Mirror Covers . BMW Performance pedals . Gloss black ///M kidneys . 12mm F / 15mm R BMS Spacers. NGK 94201 Plugs .

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The new ones have some improvements for sure.

From what I can see from a performance perspective, the hardware that matters still hasn't been improved from the older GA5150 (the version I have). It still only has only 1GB of RAM. So, you have a newer OS that claims more resources, yet not enough improvement in its ability to handle it. This is an important consideration from an overall performance perspective, so the comparison is still valid old to new since the hardware is almost the same.

Don't get me wrong; the unit works fine from a basic functionality perspective, and it's not bad enough to make me want to rip it out and reinstall business CD. It's not frustrating at all, only slightly annoying every once in a while when you're trying to do something specific and it's not letting you. It still serves its purpose, and it's nice having a big screen to view maps on versus a phone.

I haven't been able to utilize the onboard 8GB of storage it claims to have, so I have to use a USB flash drive for music. I can't listen via Bluetooth streaming while using hotspot and GPS without the music stuttering. Luckily I don't do that combo that often. I hope they've fixed the bug where you can't use the onboard storage. Either that, or I'm stupid for not figuring it out, but I doubt the latter.

BTW - the boot up time was a concern at first, but you get used to it. Now I don't think anything of it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

EDIT:

Okay, so I did some research on the screen resolution because something struck me when I mentioned 1024x600. The GA5150 I have has a 800x480 screen, and THAT is the size I'm griping about. The 1024x600 actually is an improvement in the newer unit, so you should not have the resolution issues I had. So, that's a good thing for the new unit!

Honestly, for the price... even if you expect issues, you still get something better than the business CD.
    Excellent info BP!
    2016 BMW M340i

2009 550i M-Sport - Sold
    2006 650i Vert - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Dead
    2001 330i Sport - Sold
    2004 330i ZHP - Sold
    1999 E36 M3 - Sold

Will do guys, although I'm in no rush to buy the hvac relocation bracket.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast