Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 54 of 72 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelkos View Post
    How did you fit all that stuff in the red car? Did you strip the interior before hand and sit on a stack of old newspapers for the first 7 hours??

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    awesome trip - that must've been great! but.... sad to see no pics of the red car trying to be a Touring. where's the All Loaded Up pics?

(and why didn't you take the Touring? )
    I just really wanted to drive the red car so I made it work. That pic was actually at mile 700ish with the full load!

I pulled the passenger seat and rear bench/back/bolsters before the trip, so I drove up with just the driver's seat. Installed the new passenger seat and rear seat parts in place, driver's seat on the rear bench, three door panels in the trunk, one door panel behind the front seats, and the headliner...man...I did not have a plan for the headliner...I set it up on the rear deck (headrests removed) and shoved it all the way to the back glass, sunroof cutout fitting around the driver's seat laid in the back, and the rest softly bent down behind my driver's seat with the back leaned all the way forward. Very upright position for the drive home, but it wasn't bad.

Here's the driver's seat strapped in with a child-locked seatbelt:

And the headliner bent into place:

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Impressive and entertaining as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Should have mentioned the part that you'll appreciate: The fatigue finally hit me at hour 15 when it got to full dark out, so I had to bust out the big guns to stay awake until I made it home: singing along to the entire Greatest Showman sound track. I'm talking that high note hitting sore throat type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
    Wow, that's a heckuva parts run.
    I'd definitely do it again, but make sure that I got back before dark.

Quote Originally Posted by PetesZ View Post
    Stop at the Biltmore Estate in Ashville next time.....

I 40 over the mountains is always a fun drive.
    It was a great drive all the way through Tennessee, but no time for tourism. 16 hours was enough for one day.

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Tbh I thought Kentucky was a pretty state. But I was on backroads the whole time.
    I-75 is all potholes, deer carcasses, and Christian theme parks. I also ran into a Walmart to pee so got to see the real Kentucky.

The real Kentucky? Shit, brother, I stopped for gas in Harlan County and I swear to god it was like I stepped onto the set of Justified. It was very clear my presence was unwelcome.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    I just really wanted to drive the red car so I made it work. That pic was actually at mile 700ish with the full load!

I pulled the passenger seat and rear bench/back/bolsters before the trip, so I drove up with just the driver's seat. Installed the new passenger seat and rear seat parts in place, driver's seat on the rear bench, three door panels in the trunk, one door panel behind the front seats, and the headliner...man...I did not have a plan for the headliner...I set it up on the rear deck (headrests removed) and shoved it all the way to the back glass, sunroof cutout fitting around the driver's seat laid in the back, and the rest softly bent down behind my driver's seat with the back leaned all the way forward. Very upright position for the drive home, but it wasn't bad.

YES! that's how ya do it. but i guess i should've expected that! beers on me next time you're up this way.

also - yeah, your headliner is in sad, sorry shape... it's an easy swap.

Should have mentioned the part that you'll appreciate: The fatigue finally hit me at hour 15 when it got to full dark out, so I had to bust out the big guns to stay awake until I made it home: singing along to the entire Greatest Showman sound track. I'm talking that high note hitting sore throat type of work.
    haha... man, too bad The Slater Family wasn't along for the ride! that soundtrack gets heavy rotation around our house. it's pretty good. that and the hamilton soundtrack... which is a masterpiece.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

You guys are too much

This just confirms my theory about red car owners.

It is so they can hide the blood.

Fear the walking dead my ass. The guy in the red car did it. 4 out of 3 times
    Family that races together stays together
    2005 330Ci 6MT SGM (x2)

A man after my own heart. Heading across western Texas at 2 AM still an hour away from our destination, my driving buddy was PTFO, so I was blaring "Stayin' Alive" and belting along just to stay awake.

The real Kentucky? Shit, brother, I stopped for gas in Harlan County and I swear to god it was like I stepped onto the set of Justified. It was very clear my presence was unwelcome.
    Did you stop for some apple pie?

Ugh, many a trip between Columbus OH and South Jersey... the whole family including dogs asleep... me driving with the window down slapping my face and singing along to something like disturbed to stay awake... good times!
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

C’mon Yelkos, no one gets the paper anymore...well, at least not the Charlotte Observer. He sat on magazines.
    must have been all those MODERN BRIDE magazines

YELKOS - Lake Norman, NC
    2006 330Ci ZHP, ZPP Vert. 6MT Mystic Blue / Grey Montana leather
    purchased 8/23/17 w/ 92,000

Current Stable

2014 Audi A6 Premium Plus (wife's ride)
    2005 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 (Daily Driver)
    2006 Acura MDX Touring (Daughter's college car)
    Deceased (Sold)
    2006 Audi A6
    1999 328I 5MT
    1998 528I AT

snortin that cold goodness

So a few months ago I bought a bigass filter w/ velocity stack, some aluminum pipe, and a few 45deg silicone sleeves and made a functional prototype for a long tube CAI.

When I first mocked it up, I went in guns blazing. Soldering guns blazing lol

Just making room for the giant ass filter to fit in there...

There we go.

There were two major roadblocks with the prototype, though.

1. The headlight won't fit back in with the xenon ballast hitting that bigass pipe (you can see on the left where I need another inch or so):

2. That bigass filter is going to get wrecked by rocks/bugs/water/Cthulhu/etc:

I took it on a test drive sans ballast to see how it worked, but didn't immediately feel any better than stock. Hm. I glued the ambient temp sensor back in place, buttoned everything up with the OE airbox, and tabled the project until I could sort out the issues.

I kept researching intake theory and everything pointed to the long tube being the most beneficial for power through the rev range and [obviously] getting the coldest available air. I continued to casually look for solutions and eventually found someone that was able to relocate the ballast (here) and, after wearing out the amazon return policy, found a pre-filter that fit perfectly on the giant cone (here). The pieces were in place and I jumped back into it last weekend.

HERE. WE. GO.

One of the flaws I suspected with the initial test was that, with the brake duct removed, the hot air coming through the radiator was being pushed right into the intake. So I did what any engineer worth his salt would do: I taped that shit up.

Then came modifying the brake duct so I could use it to direct flow to both the brakes and intake.

^Note that by now I've upgraded my soldering gun plastic cutting station with a powerful fume hood (I worked beside the A/C condenser and let it pull the fumes away and blow them up to the sky).

oh yeah dat fitment

Fitted up with light on it:

and without:

Bumper back on, shining a light into the brake duct:

and out in the daylight:

stealthy

Next step was making the headlight fit. It took A LOT of work to get the little ballast plug moved around to the back, but I managed and man...it just barely reaches. Not a great solution by any means...

Then had to cut an inch off the old ballast tray seen here:

AND in good reduce/reuse/recycle form, used the pieces that I had cut off to (1) seal up the cutout where the ballast connector used to be:

and (2) provide a catch for the clip on the ballast connector (it's under a lot of tape):

Final shot of the new ballast location:

^It's not pretty...and I really wasn't sure if it would be functional, but it held up find for my 1k mile trip the next day. I still have some work to do as far as securing the ballast itself and maybe some more waterproofing.

Oh and a final shot from the engine bay. I'll replace the zip ties with hose clamps...maybe...

Thoughts after 1k miles:

Sound is awesome. I can only really hear it when I jump on it above 3500rpm with the windows down, but it's a good, clean intake sound. No whistling at any rpm.

Power is definitely improved. My butt dyno is not nearly as sensitive as my NVH...dyno?..but there is definitely a power bump. I'm also reading intake temperatures about 10F lower than the OE airbox in all driving situations, so that's confirmed power right there.

Fuel mileage is also improved, without a doubt. My balls-out trip to Cincy should not have netted anywhere near 30mpg.

Overall I am very happy with the end result. It is exactly what I wanted in an intake because I built it myself.

Planned revisions: hose clamps, a block off plate from the engine bay, and some heat shielding for the HFM

Page 54 of 72 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast